I just cannot fathom an Obama 12/trump 16 voter. (and they exist)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:43:46 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  I just cannot fathom an Obama 12/trump 16 voter. (and they exist)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: I just cannot fathom an Obama 12/trump 16 voter. (and they exist)  (Read 3889 times)
Coolface Sock #42069
whitesox130
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: 2.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: August 29, 2016, 08:22:58 PM »

There is a black woman I work with who is doing this. She is a Bernie supporter who is fully behind his progressive agenda but does not trust Hillary and believes she wouldn't follow through on her promises once elected. So she's voting Trump. It's interesting because she's a staunch Dem voting for the most hated GOP nominee because of her dislike of her party's nominee while I'm a McCain/Romney voter who will not be voting Trump (and briefly considered voting for the most disliked Dem nominee in a long time) because Trump is trash.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #51 on: August 29, 2016, 09:36:49 PM »

Maybe their logic went something like this:

Voted for Obama instead of Romney in 2012 because Romney was too close to Wall Street/Big Business relative to Obama.

Voted for Trump instead of Clinton in 2016 because Clinton was too close to Wall Street/Big Business relative to Trump.

Then wouldn't that mean they voted McCain in 2008? Wall Street heavily supported Obama in 2008 since he was seen as the shoo in winner.

Exactly, though.  Everyone in their right mind knows any Republican President is going to give more favors to Wall Street than any Democratic one, more or less ... I mean even Trump is pushing for lower taxes on the rich and less regulation, especially relative to Clinton, right?
Averroës Nix
United States

« Reply #52 on: August 29, 2016, 10:00:40 PM »

I'm at least Obama 12/anti-Hillary 16. Heck, one of the first reasons I supported Obama in 2008 was as a bulwark against Hillary, whom I was adamantly against from an anti-dynastic, anti-Iraq War point of view (not to mention that Obama's charisma really captivated me). Since then, my opinion of both Obama and Hillary (and liberalism in general) has declined considerably, but I was never a Romney fan (voted for Santorum in the 2012 caucus) as he was far too much of a Wall Street elitist type, and I didn't believe him on social issues for a second.

I think this is a pretty common orientation, but I doubt that it's one that will produce many votes for Trump. Third parties, non-participation, and undervoting, will be more compelling options for most.

As for the actual Obama/Trump voters, we all realize that low information votes are very much a thing, right? Plenty of ballots are cast amidst of ignorance and incoherence, especially when a voter is not in the habit of voting along party lines. They don't need to make sense.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #53 on: August 29, 2016, 11:38:56 PM »

I'm at least Obama 12/anti-Hillary 16. Heck, one of the first reasons I supported Obama in 2008 was as a bulwark against Hillary, whom I was adamantly against from an anti-dynastic, anti-Iraq War point of view (not to mention that Obama's charisma really captivated me). Since then, my opinion of both Obama and Hillary (and liberalism in general) has declined considerably, but I was never a Romney fan (voted for Santorum in the 2012 caucus) as he was far too much of a Wall Street elitist type, and I didn't believe him on social issues for a second.

I'm very much an anti-war voter.  I loathe the number of unnecessary wars we've gotten into.

I believe Trump is less likely to get us into unnecessary wars than Clinton would.

If we have nukes, why don't we use them? AmIrite?

Seriously FB. You're a smart guy. How can Hillary's believing the WMD line like MANY reasonable people make her REMOTELY less of a warmonger than based on literally everything Trump has ever said regarding foriegn policy.

Vote for Trump, one is LITERALLY voting for Iraq (/Syria) War III.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #54 on: August 30, 2016, 12:32:52 AM »

I'm very much an anti-war voter.  I loathe the number of unnecessary wars we've gotten into.

I believe Trump is less likely to get us into unnecessary wars than Clinton would.

Seriously FB. You're a smart guy. How can Hillary's believing the WMD line like MANY reasonable people make her REMOTELY less of a warmonger than based on literally everything Trump has ever said regarding foriegn policy.

A vote for Trump is a vote for a nuclear WWIII. And I am damn serious. Anybody who believes that within the four years of Trump presidency there will be fewer than 10mln dead Americans and fewer 100 mln dead elsewhere is kidding themselves.
Erich Maria Remarque
LittleBigPlanet
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #55 on: August 30, 2016, 12:41:42 AM »

A vote for Trump is a vote for a nuclear WWIII. And I am damn serious. Anybody who believes that within the four years of Trump presidency there will be fewer than 10mln dead Americans and fewer 100 mln dead elsewhere is kidding themselves.
LOL
catographer
Megameow
United States
« Reply #56 on: August 30, 2016, 12:46:34 AM »

Most people don't vote like we do here on Atlas. Most people are what I would call political/ideological laymen. I.E., the vast majority of people aren't into the subject of politics very deeply. Same as there aren't many people deeply interested in NASCAR or bird-watching. Because of this, only the people most interested hold the strongest and most rigid positions; in politics that means we develop strict ideological compasses and world views that are hard to change. Hence it wouldn't make sense for us to vote for both Trump and Obama since they are so polar opposites in ideology. But that isn't the case for laymen!
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #57 on: August 30, 2016, 06:11:46 AM »

LOL
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=frAEmhqdLFs

ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #58 on: August 30, 2016, 06:12:46 AM »

You forgot the Smiley

I am deadly serious.
Erich Maria Remarque
LittleBigPlanet
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #59 on: August 30, 2016, 07:18:36 AM »

LOL
Stop posting it. It becomes increasingly more difficult to hate ya!

You forgot the Smiley

I am deadly serious.
Oh, those forum fighters!
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #60 on: August 30, 2016, 09:53:56 AM »

LOL

You forgot the Smiley

I am deadly serious.

I am not fighter - I am a fleer. I am preparing a bunker if Trump gets elected. And I strongly advise, everybody here does the same. Those 4 years will be hard to survive.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #61 on: August 30, 2016, 09:58:28 AM »
« Edited: August 30, 2016, 10:03:05 AM by ag »

Let me be very serious. People who vote for Trump do so for a very real reason. They are the ones who are bitter that they are not given the lifestyle that they believe "the white people deserve". That is a powerful sentiment. Because of this, they are willing to destroy human civilisation (and, likely, the humanity): if they cannot have it, nobody should. It is a collective suicide/homicide by Trump.

You wonder why I hate them?
Erich Maria Remarque
LittleBigPlanet
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #62 on: August 30, 2016, 10:32:53 AM »

Let me be very serious. People who vote for Trump do so for a very real reason. They are the ones who are bitter that they are not given the lifestyle that they believe "the white people deserve". That is a powerful sentiment. Because of this, they are willing to destroy human civilisation (and, likely, the humanity): if they cannot have it, nobody should. It is a collective suicide/homicide by Trump.

Stop projecting.

We are not bitter; just angry with the establishment.

There are two question that don't need to correlate with each other or at least the correlation doesn't need to big significant.

1. Are you satisfied/dissatisfied with your economical/social situation?
2. Are you satisfied/dissatisfied with the way things are going in the US?

I would guess, that the majority of Trump's supporters would answer
1. Yes
2. No
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #63 on: August 30, 2016, 10:41:21 AM »

LOL

You forgot the Smiley

I am deadly serious.

I am not fighter - I am a fleer. I am preparing a bunker if Trump gets elected. And I strongly advise, everybody here does the same. Those 4 years will be hard to survive.

There is a house for sale in the town of Greenport (right next door to Hudson), that has a fallout shelter in the back yard. The place has your name on it.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #64 on: August 30, 2016, 12:38:08 PM »

LOL

You forgot the Smiley

I am deadly serious.

There is a house for sale in the town of Greenport (right next door to Hudson), that has a fallout shelter in the back yard. The place has your name on it.

Why would I move so close to such a nukable place as NYC? The nearest plausibly nukable place to where I live now is Houston, and that is far away (I doubt anybody would eve nuke San Antonio). All I have to be afraid here is a full economic disruption followed by a few years of bloody civil war. I need the bunker to unobtrusively store food, etc., not for a fallout shelter.

On the other hand, you should certainly take that house.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #65 on: August 30, 2016, 12:51:15 PM »
« Edited: August 30, 2016, 12:56:20 PM by ag »

Stop projecting.

There are two question that don't need to correlate with each other or at least the correlation doesn't need to big significant.

1. Yes
2. No

This is just a pc way of saying exactly what I have said. These people do not live badly - on the contrary, they are among the luckiest people in history in this respect. But they envy others. And that is why they are willing to kill babies and their own parents: to spite the "elite". And, yes, this describes every Trump supporter, including yourself.

Trumpistas have been going around destroying civility, which they despise as "political correctness". Well, time they get the taste of excrement on their own dinner plates.
Erich Maria Remarque
LittleBigPlanet
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #66 on: August 30, 2016, 01:22:54 PM »

Stop projecting.

1. Yes
2. No

This is just a pc way of saying exactly what I have said. These people do not live badly - on the contrary, they are among the luckiest people in history in this respect. But they envy others. And that is why they are willing to kill babies and their own parents: to spite the "elite". And, yes, this describes every Trump supporter, including yourself.

Trumpistas have been going around destroying civility, which they despise as "political correctness". Well, time they get the taste of excrement on their own dinner plates.
True. Your problem is that you can not see the beuti of the destruction Smiley

Trump don't need win election to win. You are already in middle of civil war, even though you don't understand it yet.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #67 on: August 30, 2016, 01:32:12 PM »
« Edited: August 30, 2016, 01:36:11 PM by ag »

Stop projecting.

1. Yes
2. No

Trump don't need win election to win. You are already in middle of civil war, even though you don't understand it yet.

Yeah, you have, probably, already killed your first babies. Your parents are, probably, next. Will you shoot them, or is poison good enough?
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

« Reply #68 on: August 30, 2016, 01:44:55 PM »

Stop projecting.

1. Yes
2. No

Yeah, you have, probably, already killed your first babies. Your parents are, probably, next. Will you shoot them, or is poison good enough?

lol at the Clinton supporter decrying killing babies.
Erich Maria Remarque
LittleBigPlanet
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #69 on: August 30, 2016, 02:04:21 PM »

Babies are delicious!
Erich Maria Remarque
LittleBigPlanet
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #70 on: August 30, 2016, 02:05:50 PM »

The irony KARMA is that the areas that are most opposed to Trump (big cities) will be most affected by a war. Smiley
Fixed for you Smiley
Bismarck
Chancellor

« Reply #71 on: August 30, 2016, 02:06:50 PM »

ag is one of those posters you'd think was a troll if you didn't know better. Poor sad hate filled person.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #72 on: August 30, 2016, 02:07:43 PM »

My uncle (white male, 47, married, no children, works as a trucker) is one. He voted for Bush and Obama twice, now backs Trump.
Erich Maria Remarque
LittleBigPlanet
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #73 on: August 30, 2016, 02:17:12 PM »

My uncle (white male, 47, married, no children, works as a trucker) is one. He voted for Bush and Obama twice, now backs Trump.
How can one back Trump after see him raping Jeb! in real time? Huh
Beefalow and the Consumer
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.77, S: -8.78

« Reply #74 on: August 30, 2016, 02:46:00 PM »

There are a lot of people who voted for Obama in '08 or even '12 who believe the following:

1. The economic recovery that Obama was supposed to bring never arrived.
2. Illegal immigration is a huge problem and Obama is actively stymieing any effort to deal with it - and is in fact encouraging more illegal immigration with his executive orders.
3. In general, Obama is usurping power through executive orders - something that has become a huge issue in his second term.
4. Racism and hatred against white people is being actively encouraged by the Obama administration.
5. With the rise of ISIS and increased terror abroad, terrorism has become a clear and present danger.  This has also become a huge issue in the past four years.

In general, there is an "enemy at the gates" mentality, and many voters believe Clinton would simply open the door and let the enemy in, as they believe Obama is already doing.  They may not like Trump, they may find him personally repugnant, but they believe he speaks the truth about these issues in a way no one else is willing to.

One thing that has really changed:  Compare the prevalence and penetration of social media in 2012 with today.  People were on Facebook and Twitter on 2012, certainly, but not to the extent where social media circles provide people their main sources of information.   The ideological echo chambers we have today were only just forming in 2012.  In 2016 we now have a full-blown herd mentality with respect to news and information.  Your social circle is posting NowThis and Upworthy links, or they are posting Breitbart or Newsmax links. 

It's no longer a matter of differing opinions; people now live separate realities with separate facts.  Browse my Facebook feed back in March, and it was objective reality that Bernie Sanders was going to win the Democratic nomination.  On those of some of my old friends from rural Wisconsin, in their feeds it's objective reality that Hillary Clinton is a war criminal, that terrorists are continually crossing the border to kill us, that people of color are being incited into racial hatred against whites, and that Obama and Clinton want to embarrass the United States and strip it of power and sovereignty.  A lot of these people have unfriended or even blocked me because of my political views.

There is no more middle.  Everyone is being forced to choose "sides."
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies