I just cannot fathom an Obama 12/trump 16 voter. (and they exist)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 10:47:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  I just cannot fathom an Obama 12/trump 16 voter. (and they exist)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: I just cannot fathom an Obama 12/trump 16 voter. (and they exist)  (Read 3902 times)
ag
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2016, 09:58:30 PM »

Think of it this way maybe. Imagine someone who's family was straight ticket Democrat and heavily identified with Democrats their whole life. They're big on protecting the little guy and support economic government programs to do so.  Much of this demographic is going to disproportionately rural, blue collar, and with lower levels of education. Maybe they're not happy with voting for Obama but because Romney is a shill for big business (as many people thought) he's not looking at protecting someone like me, nor does he speak in a direct easy way, he's just another standard politician who will do the same standard politician thing, and he'll give his rich buddies a break while not giving a sh**t about anybody else. That's the line of thinking anyway. So they vote Obama, even though they would probably skew socially conservative and authoritarian. But then Trump runs, and the rest can be filled in from here. Everything that was wrong with Romney isn't wrong with Trump. Someone that speaks to them directly and connects with them, someone who isn't bought and paid for, etc. A lot of that in fact can be turned around on Clinton so easily.

These voters are going to be your anti-establishment moderate voters, not the bigots or the people super enthusiastic about banning all Muslims or deporting all illegal immigrants.

This is a good description of me.

I have been a registered Republican since 1995, but I'm very much a RINO.  I fit the mold of a moderate Democrat more than a conservative Republican. 

People have an amazing amount of trouble believing that such people exist, but they do.  Trump is, politically, a rather moderate Republican, at least in issue positions he takes.

He is not a "moderate" anything. True, he is neither a Dem, nor a Republican - at least, within the recent policy space of the US. He is orthogonal to what American politics has been recently. In that, he is a radical - just radical in an unusual set of dimensions. Of course, if you project him onto the usual US political map, you find him all over the place. But that does not make him a "moderate". He is a radical fascist, plain and simple.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2016, 10:00:42 PM »

As for the original post, it is not hard to imagine such a person at all. There are many people whose views are, indeed, better represented by Trump than by either of the political parties. Now, I hate those people with a passion - but I can easily understand who they are.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2016, 10:02:22 AM »

Most likely a Clinton-hating Democrat or independent. I only know a Facebook friend with this voting pattern (a man from Iowa, in the mid-40s, white; I never met the guy). He strongly supported Bernie in the primary but switched to Mr. Drumpf now, because he thinks Hillary is corrupt and dishonest. Socially liberal, gun control is an important issue for him, as he opposes further regulations. And the dude is fed up with the DC establishment. So, my conclusion is that these are people, mostly (working-class) white(s), who desperately want an “outsider”, no matter who and at what cost. Being anti Wall Street may also play a role, just as for the guy I mentioned: In 2012, Romney seemed to closer to Wall Street, as Clinton does now.
Erich Maria Remarque
LittleBigPlanet
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2016, 10:06:36 AM »

Many people don't vote based off ideology. Is it really hard to picture a sexist white man?
Do you mean that Obama won because of sexist white man [that now switched to Trump]? SAD!
Erich Maria Remarque
LittleBigPlanet
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2016, 10:08:56 AM »

As for the original post, it is not hard to imagine such a person at all. There are many people whose views are, indeed, better represented by Trump than by either of the political parties. Now, I hate those people with a passion - but I can easily understand who they are.
Do you hate 33% of USA:s population [those that have a favorable view of Trump]? Sad
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2016, 10:26:28 AM »

Do you hate 33% of USA:s population [those that have a favorable view of Trump]? Sad

ag is full of hate. I think it exceeds 33% of the US population. Smiley
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2016, 11:49:39 AM »

Yes, of course. In general, I hate most of the humanity Smiley
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2016, 12:05:08 PM »

What percent of Mexicans do you dislike?
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #33 on: August 29, 2016, 12:07:27 PM »

Statistically, there must have been some Goldwater 64/Humphrey 68 voters, so those will probably exist.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2016, 12:07:48 PM »

What percent of Mexicans do you dislike?

Same as everybody else. I am like Nixon here: an equal opportunity hater Smiley
Erich Maria Remarque
LittleBigPlanet
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #35 on: August 29, 2016, 12:23:51 PM »

Then join Trump train! Let's hate together! Smiley

Or are you a lonely hater?
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2016, 12:25:21 PM »

Well, I sincerely and with passion hate exactly 100% of Trump supporters. Can't join those Smiley
Erich Maria Remarque
LittleBigPlanet
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #37 on: August 29, 2016, 12:35:12 PM »

Well, I sincerely and with passion hate exactly 100% of Trump supporters. Can't join those Smiley
OK then! But you can always change you mind; you will be wellcome, since we love diversity and will tolerate any haters on Trump train! After you passing the ideological test, of course Wink
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #38 on: August 29, 2016, 12:35:35 PM »

Well strange  voters exist everywhere.

I am an Obama 08/Romney 12/Hillary 16 voter.

But for what it is worth, Iowa and Nevada are difficult states to poll, and have tended to underestimate Democrats.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #39 on: August 29, 2016, 12:43:45 PM »
« Edited: August 29, 2016, 12:48:01 PM by ag »

OK then! But you can always change you mind; you will be wellcome, since we love diversity and will tolerate any haters on Trump train! After you passing the ideological test, of course Wink

Trust me, I will never do. Every Trump supporter (including, of course, yourself) is a scoundrel, who wants to kill his own mother. I cannot be associated with such people.

No smiley faces here. I am dead serious.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #40 on: August 29, 2016, 02:25:23 PM »

But for what it is worth, Iowa and Nevada are difficult states to poll, and have tended to underestimate Democrats.

It sounds perfectly sensible to me. I did/will do the same thing! Smiley
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #41 on: August 29, 2016, 03:06:22 PM »

My foil! (though I regret the '08 support. Won't make that mistake again)
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #42 on: August 29, 2016, 04:57:11 PM »

I only know one personally, a close friend. College aged white male who, since 2012, has started to think the PC Police are a real thing. Also has a slight sexist streak that's gotten worse over the years, sadly.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #43 on: August 29, 2016, 05:31:11 PM »

I only know one personally, a close friend. College aged white male who, since 2012, has started to think the PC Police are a real thing. Also has a slight sexist streak that's gotten worse over the years, sadly.

Is it actual sexism or is it being against modern feminism? Because someone like me would be sexist if its the latter.
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -0.17

« Reply #44 on: August 29, 2016, 06:19:34 PM »

Ancestrally Democratic union voter who is simply fed up with what they see as 'more of the same'.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #45 on: August 29, 2016, 06:34:55 PM »

Is it actual sexism or is it being against modern feminism? Because someone like me would be sexist if its the latter.

Actual sexism. Like, "If a girl rejects me, she's a slut" level.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #46 on: August 29, 2016, 07:14:43 PM »

This whole concept of Obama '12/ Trump '16 voters being sexist argument is utterly bizarre, and so far I have not seen any real evidence to back this up.

Now, if one were to discuss the Dem primaries what would one make of a Hillary '08 (Primary)/ Obama '08 (General) and Romney '12 (General) voter leaning towards Trump '16?

There are a huge chunk of Hillary '08 Dem Primary voters that supported Bernie '16 in the primaries, of which there is a small number leaning towards Trump.

Are they all sexist too???

In fact, in many states Bernie performed extremely well in counties that Hillary won in '08, where a large majority of Democratic Primary voters are women, because so many White Males have become Republicans over the years....

I have many examples down to precinct level data from Oregon, and looking at county election returns in some other states, we can observe the same phenomenon, so it is not confined to one state in the Pacific Northwest.

It does a huge disservice to Democratic Primary voters to claim that "sexism" is the reason for the under-performance of Clinton's campaign in historically Democratic counties and cities throughout the country, as opposed to many voters (Male and Female) that don't identify with the Clinton brand on economic and foreign policy related grounds, and additionally buy some of the BS from the Trump campaign as part of a "throw the bums out movement" when they feel that the past eight years of a Democratic Presidency (Whom many of these voters supported in '08 and or '12) but still haven;t seen any significant improvement in their economic situation after the Republican "Great Recession" caused a huge collapse in household net worth for almost 50% of Americans.

RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #47 on: August 29, 2016, 07:47:10 PM »

I'm at least Obama 12/anti-Hillary 16. Heck, one of the first reasons I supported Obama in 2008 was as a bulwark against Hillary, whom I was adamantly against from an anti-dynastic, anti-Iraq War point of view (not to mention that Obama's charisma really captivated me). Since then, my opinion of both Obama and Hillary (and liberalism in general) has declined considerably, but I was never a Romney fan (voted for Santorum in the 2012 caucus) as he was far too much of a Wall Street elitist type, and I didn't believe him on social issues for a second.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #48 on: August 29, 2016, 08:01:32 PM »

I'm at least Obama 12/anti-Hillary 16. Heck, one of the first reasons I supported Obama in 2008 was as a bulwark against Hillary, whom I was adamantly against from an anti-dynastic, anti-Iraq War point of view (not to mention that Obama's charisma really captivated me). Since then, my opinion of both Obama and Hillary (and liberalism in general) has declined considerably, but I was never a Romney fan (voted for Santorum in the 2012 caucus) as he was far too much of a Wall Street elitist type, and I didn't believe him on social issues for a second.

I'm very much an anti-war voter.  I loathe the number of unnecessary wars we've gotten into.

I believe Trump is less likely to get us into unnecessary wars than Clinton would.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #49 on: August 29, 2016, 08:08:43 PM »

I'm very much an anti-war voter.  I loathe the number of unnecessary wars we've gotten into.

I believe Trump is less likely to get us into unnecessary wars than Clinton would.

If we have nukes, why don't we use them? AmIrite?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies