I just cannot fathom an Obama 12/trump 16 voter. (and they exist)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 02:55:24 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  I just cannot fathom an Obama 12/trump 16 voter. (and they exist)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Author Topic: I just cannot fathom an Obama 12/trump 16 voter. (and they exist)  (Read 3898 times)
ag
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: August 30, 2016, 02:56:27 PM »

Yeah, you have, probably, already killed your first babies. Your parents are, probably, next. Will you shoot them, or is poison good enough?
Babies are delicious!

Grilled or roasted?
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #76 on: August 30, 2016, 02:57:45 PM »

ag is one of those posters you'd think was a troll if you didn't know better. Poor sad hate filled person.

At least I will have my grain-filled bunker. You, meanwhile, will be starving to death.
Erich Maria Remarque
LittleBigPlanet
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #77 on: August 30, 2016, 03:02:58 PM »

Yeah, you have, probably, already killed your first babies. Your parents are, probably, next. Will you shoot them, or is poison good enough?
Babies are delicious!

Grilled or roasted?
https://youtu.be/JYDkzqCfJzg?t=34s
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #78 on: August 30, 2016, 03:03:59 PM »

Babies are delicious!

Grilled or roasted?

What a modest proposal.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #79 on: August 30, 2016, 03:04:16 PM »

Babies are delicious!

Grilled or roasted?

I did not know, you were an octopus. That, of course, explaines a lot. 2 mln. babies, 5-year life-expectancy and no civilization. Of course you would eat your children!
Erich Maria Remarque
LittleBigPlanet
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #80 on: August 30, 2016, 03:11:29 PM »

Babies are delicious!

Grilled or roasted?

I did not know, you were an octopus. That, of course, explaines a lot. 2 mln. babies, 5-year life-expectancy and no civilization. Of course you would eat your children!
You are being very octopofobic tonight! Hitler was too and he didn't end well!
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #81 on: August 30, 2016, 03:13:41 PM »

Babies are delicious!

Grilled or roasted?

I love octopi. But I prefer them grilled. Would you mind serving yourself on a platter?
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #82 on: August 30, 2016, 03:44:24 PM »

There are a lot of people who voted for Obama in '08 or even '12 who believe the following:

1. The economic recovery that Obama was supposed to bring never arrived.
2. Illegal immigration is a huge problem and Obama is actively stymieing any effort to deal with it - and is in fact encouraging more illegal immigration with his executive orders.
3. In general, Obama is usurping power through executive orders - something that has become a huge issue in his second term.
4. Racism and hatred against white people is being actively encouraged by the Obama administration.
5. With the rise of ISIS and increased terror abroad, terrorism has become a clear and present danger.  This has also become a huge issue in the past four years.

In general, there is an "enemy at the gates" mentality, and many voters believe Clinton would simply open the door and let the enemy in, as they believe Obama is already doing.  They may not like Trump, they may find him personally repugnant, but they believe he speaks the truth about these issues in a way no one else is willing to.

One thing that has really changed:  Compare the prevalence and penetration of social media in 2012 with today.  People were on Facebook and Twitter on 2012, certainly, but not to the extent where social media circles provide people their main sources of information.   The ideological echo chambers we have today were only just forming in 2012.  In 2016 we now have a full-blown herd mentality with respect to news and information.  Your social circle is posting NowThis and Upworthy links, or they are posting Breitbart or Newsmax links. 

It's no longer a matter of differing opinions; people now live separate realities with separate facts.  Browse my Facebook feed back in March, and it was objective reality that Bernie Sanders was going to win the Democratic nomination.  On those of some of my old friends from rural Wisconsin, in their feeds it's objective reality that Hillary Clinton is a war criminal, that terrorists are continually crossing the border to kill us, that people of color are being incited into racial hatred against whites, and that Obama and Clinton want to embarrass the United States and strip it of power and sovereignty.  A lot of these people have unfriended or even blocked me because of my political views.

There is no more middle.  Everyone is being forced to choose "sides."

Although I understand and agree on the polarization and echo chambers tied to social media and cable news outlets, and sorry that some of your friends have defriended you because of political differences, I don't believe that the vast majority of Obama/Trump voters believe that all of items #1-5 are true.

I would suggest that most of these voters may agree with one or two of the statements above, but reject several of the others.

Reality is that most "swing" or "persuadable" voters that shift between candidates and parties usually have multiple and complex reasons, rather than immediately shifting from an angle of waking up one day and buying the entire Trump agenda or talking points.

Por Ejemplo, you had a decent chunk of Gore/Bush Jr/Obama voters, Bush Jr/Obama/Romney voters, etc and for voters that swung parties, it generally was either a combination of factors, but generally either economic or foreign policy concerns were paramount in those swings.

Trump appears to be holding onto, or slightly expanding White Working Class support over Romney '12 numbers concerned about either economic insecurity, worries about terrorist attacks on American soil, or a perception that somehow illegal immigration is dramatically decreasing the quality of American life, but I find it hard to believe that Obama/Obama/Trump voters are completely rejecting the entire platform that they supported, but rather only parts of it, and some of this is a typical "throw the bums out" type attitude that you frequently see when one party has held the Presidency for two cycles.
Erich Maria Remarque
LittleBigPlanet
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #83 on: August 30, 2016, 04:02:31 PM »
« Edited: August 30, 2016, 04:04:20 PM by LittleBigOctopus »

Babies are delicious!

Grilled or roasted?

I love octopi. But I prefer them grilled. Would you mind serving yourself on a platter?
How dare you non-homosexuall nonwhite 45 old  democratic women talking to me like this ! Duel! Afro

What would you say about in Barcelona right before election day?
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #84 on: August 30, 2016, 04:13:15 PM »

My uncle (white male, 47, married, no children, works as a trucker) is one. He voted for Bush and Obama twice, now backs Trump.
How can one back Trump after see him raping Jeb! in real time? Huh
He actually took sadistic pleasure in it.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #85 on: August 30, 2016, 04:55:06 PM »

My uncle (white male, 47, married, no children, works as a trucker) is one. He voted for Bush and Obama twice, now backs Trump.
How can one back Trump after see him raping Jeb! in real time? Huh
He actually took sadistic pleasure in it.

And did you?
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #86 on: August 30, 2016, 04:55:47 PM »

Babies are delicious!

Grilled or roasted?

How dare you non-homosexuall nonwhite 45 old  democratic women talking to me like this ! Duel! Afro

What would you say about in Barcelona right before election day?

Hm. I would avoid eating your brain, at least. You know: the mad cow disease is a dangerous thing.
Beefalow and the Consumer
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.77, S: -8.78

« Reply #87 on: August 31, 2016, 08:37:37 AM »

There are a lot of people who voted for Obama in '08 or even '12 who believe the following:

1. The economic recovery that Obama was supposed to bring never arrived.
2. Illegal immigration is a huge problem and Obama is actively stymieing any effort to deal with it - and is in fact encouraging more illegal immigration with his executive orders.
3. In general, Obama is usurping power through executive orders - something that has become a huge issue in his second term.
4. Racism and hatred against white people is being actively encouraged by the Obama administration.
5. With the rise of ISIS and increased terror abroad, terrorism has become a clear and present danger.  This has also become a huge issue in the past four years.

In general, there is an "enemy at the gates" mentality, and many voters believe Clinton would simply open the door and let the enemy in, as they believe Obama is already doing.  They may not like Trump, they may find him personally repugnant, but they believe he speaks the truth about these issues in a way no one else is willing to.

One thing that has really changed:  Compare the prevalence and penetration of social media in 2012 with today.  People were on Facebook and Twitter on 2012, certainly, but not to the extent where social media circles provide people their main sources of information.   The ideological echo chambers we have today were only just forming in 2012.  In 2016 we now have a full-blown herd mentality with respect to news and information.  Your social circle is posting NowThis and Upworthy links, or they are posting Breitbart or Newsmax links. 

It's no longer a matter of differing opinions; people now live separate realities with separate facts.  Browse my Facebook feed back in March, and it was objective reality that Bernie Sanders was going to win the Democratic nomination.  On those of some of my old friends from rural Wisconsin, in their feeds it's objective reality that Hillary Clinton is a war criminal, that terrorists are continually crossing the border to kill us, that people of color are being incited into racial hatred against whites, and that Obama and Clinton want to embarrass the United States and strip it of power and sovereignty.  A lot of these people have unfriended or even blocked me because of my political views.

There is no more middle.  Everyone is being forced to choose "sides."

Although I understand and agree on the polarization and echo chambers tied to social media and cable news outlets, and sorry that some of your friends have defriended you because of political differences, I don't believe that the vast majority of Obama/Trump voters believe that all of items #1-5 are true.

I would suggest that most of these voters may agree with one or two of the statements above, but reject several of the others.

Agreed.  I was merely repeating the most common themes.  Everyone is different, and their concerns are different, but this the laundry list that I hear.

As far as defrienings go, I left my small town when I graduated high school 21 years ago, and have lost touch with nearly everyone.  I think it was the Orlando shooting that really exposed how radically different our ideological worlds were.  To me, a lone fan-boy of radical Islamist groups who had deep-seated issues over his sexuality.  To them, proof that radical Islam has sleeper agents all over the country and we need AR-15s to defend ourselves.  And that we need to keep out all the Muslims until we can extremely vet them.  Reasonable, intelligent people who live in a world of twisted facts and propaganda.  I don't need to be a part of that world.

Reality is that most "swing" or "persuadable" voters that shift between candidates and parties usually have multiple and complex reasons, rather than immediately shifting from an angle of waking up one day and buying the entire Trump agenda or talking points.

Por Ejemplo, you had a decent chunk of Gore/Bush Jr/Obama voters, Bush Jr/Obama/Romney voters, etc and for voters that swung parties, it generally was either a combination of factors, but generally either economic or foreign policy concerns were paramount in those swings.

Trump appears to be holding onto, or slightly expanding White Working Class support over Romney '12 numbers concerned about either economic insecurity, worries about terrorist attacks on American soil, or a perception that somehow illegal immigration is dramatically decreasing the quality of American life, but I find it hard to believe that Obama/Obama/Trump voters are completely rejecting the entire platform that they supported, but rather only parts of it, and some of this is a typical "throw the bums out" type attitude that you frequently see when one party has held the Presidency for two cycles.

There are the swing voters who don't want three terms of the same party ruling, are frustrated, and want to "throw the bums out."  The true swing voters, I doubt they are comfortable with Donald Trump as President.  Those who have swung from Obama '12 to Trump '16, however, are more likely doing so because Trump addresses key concerns of theirs that no Republican (or Democrat) has done before.  Not to say they buy the entire Trump agenda.  They might really dislike Trump, they might disagree with a lot of his message, but to them, Trump speaks plainly and truthfully about at least one thing that matters deeply to them.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies