Trump to Launch $10 Million Ad Buy For This Week
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 12:53:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Trump to Launch $10 Million Ad Buy For This Week
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Trump to Launch $10 Million Ad Buy For This Week  (Read 1958 times)
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 28, 2016, 10:23:54 PM »

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_CAMPAIGN_2016_THE_LATEST?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2016-08-28-23-01-40
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2016, 10:34:53 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Ugh.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2016, 10:35:47 PM »

He's free to waste money in Virginia, Colorado, and New Hampshire.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2016, 10:58:43 PM »

Trump finally gets off his ass? About time.
Wells
MikeWells12
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2016, 11:31:35 PM »

Wow, Trump is losing so badly he is being forced to rely on wealth and power to get votes.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2016, 11:38:09 PM »

So with all the talk of expanding the map (on both sides) by early September TV money is being spent on the same set of states as Obama and Romney. The only state not being targeted with TV is Wisconsin, which probably only got into play a bit because of Ryan. It seems the biggest difference is less is being spent on CO and VA and more is being spent on PA.

ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2016, 11:55:20 PM »

Trump finally gets off his ass? About time.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2016, 12:14:42 AM »

So... which part of Trump Inc made the ads?
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2016, 12:22:51 AM »

I guess Trump realized that he can't count on Pennsylvania. Obviously several of these states (like Nevada, for example) aren't really in play, but I guess he has to at least try to win more than OH/PA/FL.
Seriously?
United States

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2016, 03:04:42 AM »

I guess Trump realized that he can't count on Pennsylvania. Obviously several of these states (like Nevada, for example) aren't really in play, but I guess he has to at least try to win more than OH/PA/FL.
Eh. Either candidate would be wise putting some redundancy into their election plans. None of these states shock me one bit. We've been expecting these buys to come around Labor Day.
Erich Maria Remarque
LittleBigPlanet
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2016, 05:40:07 AM »

Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2016, 07:54:44 AM »

He has been defined already as unstable for the nuke codes.  And his outreach to Latinos is in vain for CO & NV.
dspNY
United States

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2016, 09:02:19 AM »

No Wisconsin or Michigan so their polling indicates that Clinton is well ahead in both states despite all their bluster. CO and VA are desperate attempts to put those states back in play. The other states make sense
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2016, 03:45:26 PM »

So far the buy hasn't happened yet in other 5 states.
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2016, 03:49:56 PM »

Yay! I get to see some awful ads that will have zero effect! Yes! Campaign here please!
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2016, 03:50:30 PM »

So far the buy hasn't happened yet in other 5 states.

I wouldn't read so much into this.  There is always a lag between an ad buy and when the TV stations put the buys in their political database.  When all the data came in, Trump's ad buys were almost always as advertised during the primaries.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2016, 03:50:54 PM »

New Hampshire is cheap and a rather important 2nd path. It's a wise decision.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2016, 03:58:36 PM »

To adequately cover New Hampshire is hardly cheap - you have to buy in the pricey Boston TV market, and maybe Portland, ME and Burlington, VT to reach the northern parts of the state.  Just making an ad buy on WMUR (Manchester, NH's ABC Affiliate which is technically in the Boston TV market) likely isn't sufficient.  When the ad buys are fully in, I'll check what Trump actually bought in to reach the state.

If you're already buying Portland to reach Northern New Hampshire, adding on the cheap Bangor and Presque Isle, ME markets to reach all of Maine (and ME-02) isn't that much of a stretch.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2016, 04:42:12 PM »

Today on Bloomberg  Kellyanne said they are adding Michigan to the buy. So Trump is buying in a Obama state that Romney  didn't target, yet Team Clinton have resisted the urge to go beyond NC with TV.  If they went up in AZ, GA, MO, IN or UT then Trump would likely have to follow. And since Clinton has more money, that helps them.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2016, 04:45:12 PM »

So when are these ads scheduled to air?

I mean, does it really make sense to air ads before labor day, which for many Americans is basically the last chance to take a vacation for a week before the kids go back to school, the weather gets bad, etc....

Meanwhile isn't Hillary doing an NFL ad blitz after labor day in swing states?

Just curious about the timing, not necessarily the selection of states (Although several choices seem a little sketchy in terms of potential pay-out even assuming the race tightens for the final two month stretch.
elcorazon

« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2016, 04:46:27 PM »

To adequately cover New Hampshire is hardly cheap - you have to buy in the pricey Boston TV market, and maybe Portland, ME and Burlington, VT to reach the northern parts of the state.  Just making an ad buy on WMUR (Manchester, NH's ABC Affiliate which is technically in the Boston TV market) likely isn't sufficient.  When the ad buys are fully in, I'll check what Trump actually bought in to reach the state.

If you're already buying Portland to reach Northern New Hampshire, adding on the cheap Bangor and Presque Isle, ME markets to reach all of Maine (and ME-02) isn't that much of a stretch.
Is that all still true in the days of cable/direct tv, etc.? I know you can actually tailor ads to  specific suburbs in Chicago area by buying specific cable systems. I would think that would be doable in more rural areas as well.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2016, 04:49:43 PM »

Today on Bloomberg  Kellyanne said they are adding Michigan to the buy. So Trump is buying in a Obama state that Romney  didn't target, yet Team Clinton have resisted the urge to go beyond NC with TV.  If they went up in AZ, GA, MO, IN or UT then Trump would likely have to follow. And since Clinton has more money, that helps them.

How expensive are TV ads in Utah, and what percentage of the population do they reach?

I would imagine radio ads might be more effective in many remote and rural parts of the state, as well as extremely inexpensive.... same might go for Alaska if one wanted to dip the toes in the water.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2016, 05:52:01 PM »

Is that all still true in the days of cable/direct tv, etc.? I know you can actually tailor ads to  specific suburbs in Chicago area by buying specific cable systems. I would think that would be doable in more rural areas as well.

Buying cable won't get you the main audience that political ad makers tend to target - the local newscasts.  It also is less efficient in more rural areas because of higher satellite penetration - DirecTV generally doesn't sell hyper-local ads. 

The main political ad buys are still made on over-the-air TV stations.  And, at least until recently (I'm not sure of the status of the significantly viewed satellite regulations), the satellite providers generally only provide the in-market local stations, meaning if you live in rural Northern New Hampshire in the Portland market and have satellite instead of cable, you might not get WMUR at all.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2016, 05:55:48 PM »

How expensive are TV ads in Utah, and what percentage of the population do they reach?

I would imagine radio ads might be more effective in many remote and rural parts of the state, as well as extremely inexpensive.... same might go for Alaska if one wanted to dip the toes in the water.

All of Utah is in the Salt Lake City TV market, making it one of the more efficient states to advertise in.  The Salt Lake TV market bleeds a little into neighboring states, but not much, making it cost-effective since you're not paying to reach many out-of-staters unlike, say Philadelphia or Boston for New Hampshire.   

Alaska is in 3 TV markets - though Fairbanks and especially Juneau are very small.
Minnesota Mike
YaBB God

« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2016, 06:09:48 PM »

A $10 mil ad buy for a week is peanuts at this point in the cycle.  There are only a couple of months left, big league campaigns would be spending $100 mil a month.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies