Opinion of Jante's Law?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 09:47:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of Jante's Law?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: See OP
Freedom Law

Horrible Law

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 14

Author Topic: Opinion of Jante's Law?  (Read 438 times)
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 29, 2016, 02:51:55 PM »

Came across it a while ago.

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Can't say I'm entirely comfortable with all its provisions, but when I see what its decline has brought about in society, I realize that it did a lot of good. Freedom Law.

And yes, I think we should see The Rule as Atlas' (minimalistic) application of Jante's Law. Tongue
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2016, 03:10:11 PM »

Is it just me, or is the use of pronouns odd?  It makes it sound like each individual is not part of the group (by framing it as you vs. us), yet isn't the point that everyone is on the same team, so to speak?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2016, 03:21:32 PM »

Is it just me, or is the use of pronouns odd?  It makes it sound like each individual is not part of the group (by framing it as you vs. us), yet isn't the point that everyone is on the same team, so to speak?

I don't think it's necessarily a contradiction. The idea is that these rules apply to each member of the community in their behavior toward all other members. I don't think it's meant toward outsiders. What pronouns would you use instead?
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2016, 03:31:29 PM »

It was supposed to be a bit satirical.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2016, 03:42:20 PM »

I don't think it's necessarily a contradiction. The idea is that these rules apply to each member of the community in their behavior toward all other members. I don't think it's meant toward outsiders. What pronouns would you use instead?

I guess I would just rephrase them by replacing we with "the group" or "anyone in the group"/"everyone in the group" depending on the context. and "you" with "no one individual in the group."  The current phrasing just sounds flat-out dystopian, even though that's not the intended effect.
Clark Kent
ClarkKent
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2016, 03:55:53 PM »

Absolute trash. Without society, an individual is alone, but without the individuals, society does not exist.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2016, 03:59:02 PM »

I guess I would just rephrase them by replacing we with "the group" or "anyone in the group"/"everyone in the group" depending on the context. and "you" with "no one individual in the group."  The current phrasing just sounds flat-out dystopian, even though that's not the intended effect.

Well, it was meant as a criticism of this culture, and as such the phrasing is deliberately hyperbolic. My point was that the spirit that underlies these attitudes deserves to be reevaluated.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2016, 04:07:40 PM »

Horrible Laws. The watered down, Dutch version of these is more bearable.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2016, 04:39:06 PM »

It was supposed to be a bit satirical.

No they're meant to be negative. Sandemose wrote them as criticism about how Danish society cut people down, who dared to raise their head above the rest. It should be said there's some truth to it, Danish society are both collectivistic and conformistist. But at the same time, you can be sure if someone, say that the Jante's Law keep them down, it's because they're assholes, the guy who own a BMW which he insist on placing on two parking spaces, that's the guy complaining over the Jante's Law.

Sandemose too was a first class asshole, but that's a another story.

So there's two ways to see it, the Jante's Law is a social rule set for not behaving as a asshole according to Danish and to lesser extent Scandinavian social norms or it's way to force people to conform. I would say both are correct.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2016, 05:17:08 AM »

Indeed, I always interpreted Jante's Law as a social rule to keep narcissistic assholes in their place. Someone like Drumpf, for example, would never have gotten anywhere politically in a society that valued Jante's Law. I'm not surprised to find out Sandemose was an asshole, since it's assholes who usually complain about this sort of things.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies