Trump FB Post: Trump +61 with white evangelicals
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 05:24:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Trump FB Post: Trump +61 with white evangelicals
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Trump FB Post: Trump +61 with white evangelicals  (Read 1292 times)
15 Down, 35 To Go
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 29, 2016, 08:16:57 PM »
« edited: August 30, 2016, 09:27:31 AM by ExtremeRepublican »

78-17.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2016, 08:18:20 PM »
« Edited: August 29, 2016, 08:29:19 PM by Fmr President & Senator Polnut »

About what you'd expect... just a pity that he's crashing with Catholics. Well, a pity for him... oh and that's 61, not 71.

According to the 2012 exits, Romney won that crowd 78-21.
Slow Learner
Battenberg
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2016, 08:22:59 PM »

Interesting that they support a man who so patently doesn't care about their religion.
Coolface Sock #42069
whitesox130
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: 2.26

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2016, 08:29:22 PM »

Do we believe this, or is this just more hot air from The Donald?

My church body (Lutheran Church Missouri Synod) broke 59-39 for Romney in 2012 (clergy voted in the high eighties or even low nineties for Romney) and is comprised very heavily of upper- and middle-class white-collar professional whites (though in recent years we have started putting some effort into poor minority outreach). It will be interesting to see how much Trump tanks in this small cross tab. Ain't no way he runs ahead of Mitt here.
Young Conservative
youngconservative
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2016, 08:32:02 PM »

I'm proudly one of the 78%. Trump isn't as bad as portrayed and Ive come to realize he will be infinitely better than Hillary Clinton.
Slow Learner
Battenberg
United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2016, 08:33:46 PM »

I'm proudly one of the 78%. Trump isn't as bad as portrayed and Ive come to realize he will be infinitely better than Hillary Clinton.
So much for those Conservative values, eh.
psychprofessor

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2016, 08:34:45 PM »

LOL As he's portrayed...three wives, five children, multiple infidelities - that's just the facts from his personal life, never mind actual facts from his professional life...but please, after this election evangelicals have no standing when it comes to "values voting" in my eyes...
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2016, 08:41:49 PM »

What reason has trump ever given us to believe him?

If he wants to win this election solely with white evangelical males who didn't go to college, be my guest.
Young Conservative
youngconservative
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2016, 08:42:59 PM »

LOL As he's portrayed...three wives, five children, multiple infidelities - that's just the facts from his personal life, never mind actual facts from his professional life...but please, after this election evangelicals have no standing when it comes to "values voting" in my eyes...
As if Clinton is a picture of morality.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2016, 08:57:30 PM »

BUT HILLARY
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2016, 09:05:23 PM »

Married to the same person, despite their failings, for over 40 years, devoted mother and grandmother.... no evidence of deliberate wrong-doing (despite 25 years of valiant attempts)... keep telling yourself you've got the morally better candidate.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2016, 09:57:50 PM »

Mr. "Two Corinthians."
LOL.
What a clown ..... orange-haired clown, that is.
psychprofessor

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2016, 10:03:30 PM »

You know, Clinton actually attends church, receives guidance from Jesuit priests, has an understanding of faith and an appreciation for religion. But yeah, Mr. Two Corinthians is your guy - like I said, evangelicals lost all standing in my eyes when they sold out their convictions for political expediency. At least the Mormons are conflicted and in crisis. And the Catholics are abandoning ship en masse...but the evangelicals, oh boy do they love them some Trump.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2016, 10:04:37 PM »

You know, Clinton actually attends church, receives guidance from Jesuit priests, has an understanding of faith and an appreciation for religion. But yeah, Mr. Two Corinthians is your guy - like I said, evangelicals lost all standing in my eyes when they sold out their convictions for political expediency. At least the Mormons are conflicted and in crisis. And the Catholics are abandoning ship en masse...but the evangelicals, oh boy do they love them some Trump.

I couldn't agree more.
15 Down, 35 To Go
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2016, 10:06:36 PM »

You do realize that Clinton is pushing for mandatory direct public funding of baby-murder when you say that, right??
Fuzzy Stands With His Friend, Chairman Sanchez
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2016, 10:07:18 PM »

Married to the same person, despite their failings, for over 40 years, devoted mother and grandmother.... no evidence of deliberate wrong-doing (despite 25 years of valiant attempts)... keep telling yourself you've got the morally better candidate.

Donald Trump is not my role model as a Christian.  I wonder if he even has "fire insurance".  That being said, I have little doubt that White Evangelicals support Trump by something like 71 points.  

There are reasons for this YUGE level of support from White Evangelicals.  The biggest reason is that White Evangelicals are intensely patriotic and pro-military, and Trump projects these values more sincerely than Hillary Clinton ever could.  Indeed, White Evangelicals long ago concluded that the GOP shared their concept of patriotism far more than the Democrats, and that perception has only hardened as the flag-waving Democrats have, one by one, left the party.

The traditional patriotic world view is a view where Christian principles established this nation and guided it through most of its history, and Donald Trump subscribes to this.  (This is actually a fact, and not just an opinion, but it's hard to sell folks on this today.)  His very slogan, "Make America Great Again" is tailor-made for White Evangelicals; they see America as a nation on whom God has His Hand on, and because its people have been Faithful to His Gospel, God keeps his hand on America.  They see the decline of Christian morality as the root of the decline of our society, and they see our society declining as a sign of the impending return of Christ.  (Some folks, in error, advocate certain courses of action to hurry the Rapture along, but this is, frankly, un-Biblical.)  

Many people here at Atlas have serious misconceptions about White Evangelicals.  Most of them are no more racist than many liberal whites.  The idea that Evangelical churches are heavily segregated is overstated; most conservative Evangelical churches are integrated and much of the "segregation" in churches is language-based.  I live in Florida where there are many Spanish-speaking churches and many Haitian Churches where Creole is spoken, but my congregation (which is probably 85% for Trump at a minimum) has a significant number of black members who are well-integrated into the body, and this is hardly unusual.  At the same time, I will admit that many White Evangelicals subscribe to "conspiracy theories" that, frankly, cause me to shake my head at times.  Many of them are, sadly, suckers for nonsense they read on Facebook.  (A good friend of mine once shared with me how Obama was building concentration camps somewhere out West.  I like the man a lot, so I politely listened and found a way to change the subject, but it was rather unnerving, I'll admit.)  

But it's not about "Who's the most Holy?" for White Evangelicals.  They know that mere mortals are imperfect.  They don't seek a theocracy.  They DO seek to uphold the place their traditional values have had over the years in American life, and they resist the erosion of those values.  And they rightly see the Democrats as a party that wishes to upend those values and throw them in the trash.  Their support for Trump is actually quite logical.  They, like everyone else, are doing the best they can with what they've got to work with, and given their world view, Trump's more of a no-brainer than many folks think.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2016, 10:10:26 PM »

Trump's more of a no-brainer than many folks think.

You would know.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2016, 10:12:57 PM »

You do realize that Clinton is pushing for mandatory direct public funding of baby-murder when you say that, right??

Or as other people call it, women's reproductive care.
Cruzcrew
Paleocon
United States

« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2016, 10:21:06 PM »

It's not about who's most religious in this case. It's about how much the evangelicals hate Hillary. Also, not all evangelicals are very religious weekly churchgoers anymore. Some of them just keep the label. In the republican primary, Trump was often slightly leading Cruz among evangelicals despite seeming like a terrible fit for religious people. Interestingly, Trump does do worse with weekly church goers than those who go monthly or yearly which makes sense considering his despicable character in direct conflict with many Christian principles.
psychprofessor

« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2016, 10:25:16 PM »

At least I know where Hillary stands when it comes to baby-murder. Do you know in your evangelical heart what Trump believes?
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2016, 11:35:41 PM »

I'm not sure what the source is for that datum, but 78-17 equals something not 71.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2016, 11:48:06 PM »

Trump's more of a no-brainer than many folks think.

Only if they weren't watching the debates:
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2016, 04:38:34 AM »

I am the 17%.
Fuzzy Stands With His Friend, Chairman Sanchez
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2016, 05:28:05 AM »

At least I know where Hillary stands when it comes to baby-murder. Do you know in your evangelical heart what Trump believes?
I have little doubt that, in his heart, Trump is pro-choice.  Like Bush 41, Romney, Reagan, Bush 43, and McCain.

All of these guys, however, were willing to play the role of being pro-lifers, and advocated policies that were restrictive to the extent that they were allowed to be.  They could be counted on to act pro-life while in office, at least when they didn't have to expend political capital to do so.  They would appoint Federal Judges who were willing to, at a minimum, not expand the reach of Roe v. Wade.  They could be counted on to do so because the folks to whom this was important voted for them in large numbers and made up a significant bloc of support.

DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2016, 06:09:24 AM »

It's not about who's most religious in this case. It's about how much the evangelicals hate Hillary. Also, not all evangelicals are very religious weekly churchgoers anymore. Some of them just keep the label. In the republican primary, Trump was often slightly leading Cruz among evangelicals despite seeming like a terrible fit for religious people. Interestingly, Trump does do worse with weekly church goers than those who go monthly or yearly which makes sense considering his despicable character in direct conflict with many Christian principles.

Indeed. There is actually evidence that there are more 'cultural Evangelicals' in America than 'cultural Catholics' despite the latter being a much more common trope.

Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies