Trump FB Post: Trump +61 with white evangelicals
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 11:24:03 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Trump FB Post: Trump +61 with white evangelicals
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Trump FB Post: Trump +61 with white evangelicals  (Read 1304 times)
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2016, 06:22:59 AM »

I'm proudly one of the 78%. Trump isn't as bad as portrayed and Ive come to realize he will be infinitely better than Hillary Clinton.

LOL As he's portrayed...three wives, five children, multiple infidelities - that's just the facts from his personal life, never mind actual facts from his professional life...but please, after this election evangelicals have no standing when it comes to "values voting" in my eyes...
As if Clinton is a picture of morality.

You know, Clinton actually attends church, receives guidance from Jesuit priests, has an understanding of faith and an appreciation for religion. But yeah, Mr. Two Corinthians is your guy - like I said, evangelicals lost all standing in my eyes when they sold out their convictions for political expediency. At least the Mormons are conflicted and in crisis. And the Catholics are abandoning ship en masse...but the evangelicals, oh boy do they love them some Trump.

You do realize that Clinton is pushing for mandatory direct public funding of baby-murder when you say that, right??

At least I know where Hillary stands when it comes to baby-murder. Do you know in your evangelical heart what Trump believes?
I have little doubt that, in his heart, Trump is pro-choice.  Like Bush 41, Romney, Reagan, Bush 43, and McCain.

All of these guys, however, were willing to play the role of being pro-lifers, and advocated policies that were restrictive to the extent that they were allowed to be.  They could be counted on to act pro-life while in office, at least when they didn't have to expend political capital to do so.  They would appoint Federal Judges who were willing to, at a minimum, not expand the reach of Roe v. Wade.  They could be counted on to do so because the folks to whom this was important voted for them in large numbers and made up a significant bloc of support.

See that's the thing, I doubt that Trump would even 'sell out' to the pro-life cause to the extent other nominees did.

The chief argument for socons to vote for Trump is that he will appoint pro-life judges, particularly to the Supreme Court. I just don't trust him to do that. Frankly, its far too easy in my mind to see him compromising and appointing a pro-business, socially liberal justice to the Supreme Court to avoid a Democratic filibuster.

If I lived in the USA, I'd be torn between voting 3rd party and staying home as both major candidates are manifestly unacceptable to Evangelical values.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2016, 06:26:25 AM »

It's not about who's most religious in this case. It's about how much the evangelicals hate Hillary. Also, not all evangelicals are very religious weekly churchgoers anymore. Some of them just keep the label. In the republican primary, Trump was often slightly leading Cruz among evangelicals despite seeming like a terrible fit for religious people. Interestingly, Trump does do worse with weekly church goers than those who go monthly or yearly which makes sense considering his despicable character in direct conflict with many Christian principles.

Which is as anti-Christian as you can get. Jesus said to love your neighbor and forgive everyone. We've all known for a long time a huge segment of Evangelicals are horrible people/Christians and don't actually follow Jesus like they all say they do.
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2016, 07:35:10 AM »

Interesting that they support a man who so patently doesn't care about their religion.
That's a good sign, the days of the religious right are over. As repugnant as trump may be he won the nomination with hardly addressing god at all.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2016, 07:46:11 AM »

I'm proudly one of the 78%. Trump isn't as bad as portrayed and Ive come to realize he will be infinitely better than Hillary Clinton.

LOL As he's portrayed...three wives, five children, multiple infidelities - that's just the facts from his personal life, never mind actual facts from his professional life...but please, after this election evangelicals have no standing when it comes to "values voting" in my eyes...

Married to the same person, despite their failings, for over 40 years, devoted mother and grandmother.... no evidence of deliberate wrong-doing (despite 25 years of valiant attempts)... keep telling yourself you've got the morally better candidate.

Donald Trump is not my role model as a Christian.  I wonder if he even has "fire insurance".  That being said, I have little doubt that White Evangelicals support Trump by something like 71 points.  

There are reasons for this YUGE level of support from White Evangelicals.  The biggest reason is that White Evangelicals are intensely patriotic and pro-military, and Trump projects these values more sincerely than Hillary Clinton ever could.  Indeed, White Evangelicals long ago concluded that the GOP shared their concept of patriotism far more than the Democrats, and that perception has only hardened as the flag-waving Democrats have, one by one, left the party.

The traditional patriotic world view is a view where Christian principles established this nation and guided it through most of its history, and Donald Trump subscribes to this.  (This is actually a fact, and not just an opinion, but it's hard to sell folks on this today.)  His very slogan, "Make America Great Again" is tailor-made for White Evangelicals; they see America as a nation on whom God has His Hand on, and because its people have been Faithful to His Gospel, God keeps his hand on America.  They see the decline of Christian morality as the root of the decline of our society, and they see our society declining as a sign of the impending return of Christ.  (Some folks, in error, advocate certain courses of action to hurry the Rapture along, but this is, frankly, un-Biblical.)  

Many people here at Atlas have serious misconceptions about White Evangelicals.  Most of them are no more racist than many liberal whites.  The idea that Evangelical churches are heavily segregated is overstated; most conservative Evangelical churches are integrated and much of the "segregation" in churches is language-based.  I live in Florida where there are many Spanish-speaking churches and many Haitian Churches where Creole is spoken, but my congregation (which is probably 85% for Trump at a minimum) has a significant number of black members who are well-integrated into the body, and this is hardly unusual.  At the same time, I will admit that many White Evangelicals subscribe to "conspiracy theories" that, frankly, cause me to shake my head at times.  Many of them are, sadly, suckers for nonsense they read on Facebook.  (A good friend of mine once shared with me how Obama was building concentration camps somewhere out West.  I like the man a lot, so I politely listened and found a way to change the subject, but it was rather unnerving, I'll admit.)  

But it's not about "Who's the most Holy?" for White Evangelicals.  They know that mere mortals are imperfect.  They don't seek a theocracy.  They DO seek to uphold the place their traditional values have had over the years in American life, and they resist the erosion of those values.  And they rightly see the Democrats as a party that wishes to upend those values and throw them in the trash.  Their support for Trump is actually quite logical.  They, like everyone else, are doing the best they can with what they've got to work with, and given their world view, Trump's more of a no-brainer than many folks think.

How is Trump pro-military? He attacks families of fallen soldiers, disparages war veterans, trashes American soldiers and officers calling them weak and a disaster. He wants to dismantle the entire safety apparatus built up for the US in terms of foreign alliances and bases and instead send Americans to die in order to steal oil from foreign countries. All while having no judgment or knowledge about these issues. And, of course, he was a draft dodger. 

I think we all know the real reason to support Trump is something else.
Erich Maria Remarque
LittleBigPlanet
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2016, 08:39:38 AM »
« Edited: August 30, 2016, 08:41:51 AM by LittleBigPlanet »

Married to the same person, despite their failings, for over 40 years, devoted mother and grandmother.... no evidence of deliberate wrong-doing (despite 25 years of valiant attempts)... keep telling yourself you've got the morally better candidate.

Donald Trump is not my role model as a Christian.  I wonder if he even has "fire insurance".  That being said, I have little doubt that White Evangelicals support Trump by something like 71 points.  

There are reasons for this YUGE level of support from White Evangelicals.  The biggest reason is that White Evangelicals are intensely patriotic and pro-military, and Trump projects these values more sincerely than Hillary Clinton ever could.  Indeed, White Evangelicals long ago concluded that the GOP shared their concept of patriotism far more than the Democrats, and that perception has only hardened as the flag-waving Democrats have, one by one, left the party.

The traditional patriotic world view is a view where Christian principles established this nation and guided it through most of its history, and Donald Trump subscribes to this.  (This is actually a fact, and not just an opinion, but it's hard to sell folks on this today.)  His very slogan, "Make America Great Again" is tailor-made for White Evangelicals; they see America as a nation on whom God has His Hand on, and because its people have been Faithful to His Gospel, God keeps his hand on America.  They see the decline of Christian morality as the root of the decline of our society, and they see our society declining as a sign of the impending return of Christ.  (Some folks, in error, advocate certain courses of action to hurry the Rapture along, but this is, frankly, un-Biblical.)  

Many people here at Atlas have serious misconceptions about White Evangelicals.  Most of them are no more racist than many liberal whites.  The idea that Evangelical churches are heavily segregated is overstated; most conservative Evangelical churches are integrated and much of the "segregation" in churches is language-based.  I live in Florida where there are many Spanish-speaking churches and many Haitian Churches where Creole is spoken, but my congregation (which is probably 85% for Trump at a minimum) has a significant number of black members who are well-integrated into the body, and this is hardly unusual.  At the same time, I will admit that many White Evangelicals subscribe to "conspiracy theories" that, frankly, cause me to shake my head at times.  Many of them are, sadly, suckers for nonsense they read on Facebook.  (A good friend of mine once shared with me how Obama was building concentration camps somewhere out West.  I like the man a lot, so I politely listened and found a way to change the subject, but it was rather unnerving, I'll admit.)  

But it's not about "Who's the most Holy?" for White Evangelicals.  They know that mere mortals are imperfect.  They don't seek a theocracy.  They DO seek to uphold the place their traditional values have had over the years in American life, and they resist the erosion of those values.  And they rightly see the Democrats as a party that wishes to upend those values and throw them in the trash.  Their support for Trump is actually quite logical.  They, like everyone else, are doing the best they can with what they've got to work with, and given their world view, Trump's more of a no-brainer than many folks think.

How is Trump pro-military? He attacks families of fallen soldiers, disparages war veterans, trashes American soldiers and officers calling them weak and a disaster. He wants to dismantle the entire safety apparatus built up for the US in terms of foreign alliances and bases and instead send Americans to die in order to steal oil from foreign countries. All while having no judgment or knowledge about these issues. And, of course, he was a draft dodger.  

Oh, Gustaf, Gustaf, Gustaf.

Safety apparatus built up for the US is responsible 90% of refugees that came to Sweden latest 10 years. And this is HUUUUGE.

You are probably such a självgod Swede that has no "rasifierade" refuge buddies, but still consider youself anti-rasist. Because if you had some, you would know that there are practically no refugees who doesn't hate USA's establishment and its best Buddy Saudi Arabia Smiley NONE, even those who hated Sadam.

Trump hopefully will tear down, destroy and burn this neocon sh**thole to the ground. As he did with Bushes Smiley

By doing it, he will earn a big fat place in the Paradice for US Grin
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2016, 08:40:02 AM »

It's not about who's most religious in this case. It's about how much the evangelicals hate Hillary. Also, not all evangelicals are very religious weekly churchgoers anymore. Some of them just keep the label. In the republican primary, Trump was often slightly leading Cruz among evangelicals despite seeming like a terrible fit for religious people. Interestingly, Trump does do worse with weekly church goers than those who go monthly or yearly which makes sense considering his despicable character in direct conflict with many Christian principles.

Indeed. There is actually evidence that there are more 'cultural Evangelicals' in America than 'cultural Catholics' despite the latter being a much more common trope.

Which is not surprising at all. There's nothing exotic or non-mainstream about Catholicism in Current Year. Most evangelical churches have a far bigger impact on anyone brought up in one and are actually further from mainstream culture and even the ones that aren't (the Rick Warren style megachurches) are pretty friendly to twice a year goers.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2016, 08:43:49 AM »

The idea that people support Trump because he's some sort of non-interventionist is also absurd. He's the only candidate who's bragged about committing war crimes.
Erich Maria Remarque
LittleBigPlanet
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2016, 08:48:40 AM »
« Edited: August 30, 2016, 08:50:39 AM by LittleBigPlanet »

The idea that people support Trump because he's some sort of non-interventionist is also absurd. He's the only candidate who's bragged about committing war crimes.
You think that Americans are stupid enough to not noticing what peacefull Bush/Obama caused?

Bro, you f**king created ISIS/Al-Qaeda/Taliban/you name it.

And each president caused rise of more and more bloody organisation than his predecessor.

But yes, it is not why people support Trump.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2016, 08:53:42 AM »

You think that Americans are stupid enough to not noticing what peacefull Bush/Obama caused?

Bro, you f**king created ISIS/Al-Qaeda/Taliban/you name it.

And each president caused rise of more and more bloody organisation than his predecessor.

Hmmm, cite? Even Trump couldn't provide that when he claimed Obama created ISIS, which you seem to be claiming now.
Beefalow and the Consumer
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.77, S: -8.78

« Reply #34 on: August 30, 2016, 08:57:22 AM »

As a recovering Evangelical, someone who is extremely familiar with this theology, culture, and mindset, I am disappointed but at the same time not surprised.

White northern Evangelicals speak about piety, about living a Godly life, about being true to family.  But their actions are very different from their speech.  Now, it's not fair to generalize about an entire group.  There are those Evangelicals who are devoted to their family, who are kind, charitable, and socially conscious.  However, there are many others who cheat on spouses, who are crass, materialistic, and bigoted.  They flock to an ideology based on shaming other people so they can feel better about themselves.

One thing I have observed about Evangelicals with true moral integrity (as I think of it, not as they do), is they are very welcoming of those who are different.  If you walk into an Evangelical congregation where this positive mindset exists, you will see people of color.  You will see Mexican immigrants.  You will see people who are poor or alienated being served.  You will see congregants who go to inner city neighborhoods and suburban trailer parks and and fix things up and build playgrounds for children.  I would like to think that such people view Donald Trump, who embodies everything they are against, with a very skeptical eye.

Unfortunately, for the vast majority, Trump represents all of those hypocritical attributes these people embrace when they are not speaking holiness and piety.
Erich Maria Remarque
LittleBigPlanet
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2016, 09:00:04 AM »

Hmmm, cite? Even Trump couldn't provide that when he claimed Obama created ISIS, which you seem to be claiming now.
With pleasure. Not literally, no. But his politics, yes.

But he's right. Kind of.
http://www.judicialwatch.org/document-archive/pgs-287-293-291-jw-v-dod-and-state-14-812-2/

You must be logged in to read this quote.

ISIS indeed is a biproduct of USA's/Bush's/Obama's politics in the Middle East.
I quote myself. It is a classified DIA report, August 2012. FBI [and of course Obama] knew the consequences of their politics.
Not just that, this [rise of ISIS] was exactly what they wanted. But it got out control.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #36 on: August 30, 2016, 09:25:17 AM »

Oh, Gustaf, Gustaf, Gustaf.

Safety apparatus built up for the US is responsible 90% of refugees that came to Sweden latest 10 years. And this is HUUUUGE.

You are probably such a självgod Swede that has no "rasifierade" refuge buddies, but still consider youself anti-rasist. Because if you had some, you would know that there are practically no refugees who doesn't hate USA's establishment and its best Buddy Saudi Arabia Smiley NONE, even those who hated Sadam.

Trump hopefully will tear down, destroy and burn this neocon sh**thole to the ground. As he did with Bushes Smiley

By doing it, he will earn a big fat place in the Paradice for US Grin

I in fact have plenty of refugee and immigrant friends. But I guess you can't imagine someone genuinely being non-racist.

The rest of that is kind of irrelevant nonsense so I don't really have a response to it.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #37 on: August 30, 2016, 09:27:15 AM »

I'm not sure what the source is for that datum, but 78-17 equals something not 71.

Oops.  It's 61.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #38 on: August 30, 2016, 09:31:34 AM »

You know, Clinton actually attends church, receives guidance from Jesuit priests, has an understanding of faith and an appreciation for religion. But yeah, Mr. Two Corinthians is your guy - like I said, evangelicals lost all standing in my eyes when they sold out their convictions for political expediency. At least the Mormons are conflicted and in crisis. And the Catholics are abandoning ship en masse...but the evangelicals, oh boy do they love them some Trump.

You do realize that Clinton is pushing for mandatory direct public funding of baby-murder when you say that, right??

At least I know where Hillary stands when it comes to baby-murder. Do you know in your evangelical heart what Trump believes?
I have little doubt that, in his heart, Trump is pro-choice.  Like Bush 41, Romney, Reagan, Bush 43, and McCain.

All of these guys, however, were willing to play the role of being pro-lifers, and advocated policies that were restrictive to the extent that they were allowed to be.  They could be counted on to act pro-life while in office, at least when they didn't have to expend political capital to do so.  They would appoint Federal Judges who were willing to, at a minimum, not expand the reach of Roe v. Wade.  They could be counted on to do so because the folks to whom this was important voted for them in large numbers and made up a significant bloc of support.

Have you ever heard about Bush 43's upbringing- there is no way that he is personally pro-choice, but I'll give you his dad.  Not Reagan or McCain either, but I'm not sure about Romney (or Trump).  I think Trump doesn't really care about the issue, so he will go along with whatever a GOP Congress does.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #39 on: August 30, 2016, 06:59:03 PM »

Have you ever heard about Bush 43's upbringing- there is no way that he is personally pro-choice, but I'll give you his dad.  Not Reagan or McCain either, but I'm not sure about Romney (or Trump).  I think Trump doesn't really care about the issue, so he will go along with whatever a GOP Congress does.

Reagan signed into law the most liberal Abortion Law in America pre-Roe.  It was only after he did this that the religious conservatives became the force in the GOP that they became.

Romney's been on both sides of the issue.  McCain's always been kind of a hedonist.  McCain's been consistent since entering politics, regardless of whether or not his heart is in the issue.

The GOP milks the abortion issue.  As long as Roe v. Wade is the law, the GOP will be able to milk the issue for both campaign contributions and "boots on the ground" campaign volunteers.  I've long been convinced that the name of the game with the GOP is to appear to be pro-life, but don't do enough to actually overturn Roe v. Wade, as that will kill one of the Golden Geese.
wolfsblood07
United States

« Reply #40 on: August 30, 2016, 07:12:58 PM »

If you identify with the values of the Waltons and Little House on the Prairie, you probably vote Trump.  If you identify with the values of
the Howard Stern show and Bubba the Love Sponge, you probably vote Clinton.  That's all.
Sumner 1868
tara gilesbie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #41 on: August 30, 2016, 07:15:02 PM »

If you identify with the values of the Waltons and Little House on the Prairie, you probably vote Trump.  If you identify with the values of
the Howard Stern show and Bubba the Love Sponge, you probably vote Clinton.  That's all.

huh?
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #42 on: August 30, 2016, 09:01:12 PM »

Howard Stern is probably voting for Gary Johnson.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies