What is Trump's appeal in IA and OH?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 06:11:53 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  What is Trump's appeal in IA and OH?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What is Trump's appeal in IA and OH?  (Read 608 times)
Joe Biden is your president. Deal with it.
diskymike44

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 29, 2016, 11:44:21 PM »

We have these swing states like FL,PA and VA where Hillary is ahead but yet IA and OH always shows her ahead by only 1 or 2 points. Why does Trump do so well there in those 2 states?
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2016, 12:09:50 AM »

Both states have large numbers of whites with no college degree, which is Trump's demographic wheelhouse.  Both states have strong protectionist attitudes.  Iowa has a very small number of nonwhite voters and the Iowa Republican Establishment has embraced Trump.

I would separate the two states insofar as I doubt Trump will win Ohio -- there's a decent sized nonwhite demographic there and Kasich and Portman are giving Trump the cold shoulder.  But I think Trump has a solid chance to win Iowa.  Clinton has never showed any real strength in her primary performances there, whereas she looked strong in Ohio both in 2008 and 2016.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2016, 12:16:30 AM »

Whites without a college degree. They're a large part of the electorate in both of these states, and Iowa has very few minorities to offset the gains Trump might be making among this particular demographic.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2016, 09:17:59 AM »

Whites without a college degree. They're a large part of the electorate in both of these states, and Iowa has very few minorities to offset the gains Trump might be making among this particular demographic.

This plus the disappearance of many jobs in the manufacturing industry.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2016, 09:20:33 AM »

Huh? Clinton is up 3-6 points in Ohio right now.
JRP1994

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2016, 09:26:20 AM »

#AngryMidwesternMen
PresidentSamTilden

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2016, 10:44:35 AM »

These are two different situations. Ohio has the rust belt appeal for trump that we've all debated and talked about quite a bit. In addition, Republicans generally do better there than nationally.

Iowa I believe was less expected to be strong for him. I don't know exactly why he's doing well out there. Over the weekend I traveled through southern Delaware (big agricultural region) and I noticed many farms with Trump signs - none for Hillary. Perhaps Trump has some appeal in the Ag industry?

Seems sort of odd since he threatened to deport a slice of their workforce (sorry), but I guess there's other factors at play here.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2016, 10:58:57 AM »

Iowa also has more evangelicals then most other states.

Ohio seems to be in the same status as it was in 2012.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2016, 11:27:50 AM »

These are two different situations. Ohio has the rust belt appeal for trump that we've all debated and talked about quite a bit. In addition, Republicans generally do better there than nationally.

Iowa I believe was less expected to be strong for him. I don't know exactly why he's doing well out there. Over the weekend I traveled through southern Delaware (big agricultural region) and I noticed many farms with Trump signs - none for Hillary. Perhaps Trump has some appeal in the Ag industry?

Seems sort of odd since he threatened to deport a slice of their workforce (sorry), but I guess there's other factors at play here.

IF Trump wins by about 5 (not that I'm predicting that), I could see Delaware being a surprise nailbiter.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2016, 11:32:32 AM »

IF Trump wins by about 5 (not that I'm predicting that), I could see Delaware being a surprise nailbiter.

You can't be serious. Delaware has never been near that close to the national vote, and has shown 0 signs of trending Republican.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2016, 11:38:35 AM »

You can't be serious. Delaware has never been near that close to the national vote, and has shown 0 signs of trending Republican.

Muh Sussex County aka Real Delaware of course.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2016, 11:42:15 AM »

OK.  Kerry won Delaware by 9 in 2004, the last time someone from Delaware was not on the ballot.  That would suggest that Trump would have to win by 10-12 nationally to carry DE, but Trump is a better fit for the state than Bush, so I think an 8-point or so Trump victory could bring Delaware with it.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2016, 12:12:05 PM »

OK.  Kerry won Delaware by 9 in 2004, the last time someone from Delaware was not on the ballot.  That would suggest that Trump would have to win by 10-12 nationally to carry DE, but Trump is a better fit for the state than Bush, so I think an 8-point or so Trump victory could bring Delaware with it.

Trump is not a good fit for a state that is largely urban and 20% African American. Sure, he'll win Sussex county, but Republicans always do. Trump will never win in a landslide, but he would need a double digit landslide to flip Delaware, or any state that solidly Democratic.
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2016, 12:22:17 PM »

So how is a Harvard grad black male doing better than a white woman with this 'uneducated whites'?
Bismarck
Chancellor

« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2016, 02:10:39 PM »

So how is a Harvard grad black male doing better than a white woman with this 'uneducated whites'?

Because not every "uneducated white" is a racist like this forum thinks.
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2016, 03:20:44 PM »

Maybe the best remark I've heard so far.

Really this board is sometimes so obsessed with demographics, especially of working class whites...jeez the days before the WV\KY primaries were ridiculous
Erich Maria Remarque
LittleBigPlanet
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2016, 03:22:05 PM »

They're sexists!
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies