Your opinion of this parody of The Young Turks?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 12:58:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Your opinion of this parody of The Young Turks?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: What do you think of this TYT parody?
Freedom parody

Horrible parody

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 60

Author Topic: Your opinion of this parody of The Young Turks?  (Read 6995 times)
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2016, 03:32:00 PM »

Was the comedy supposed to begin after the angry loudmouth finished screaming?  I didn't get that far, I'm afraid.

I don't like that video for its humor; I do by and large concur with the sentiment in this thread that conservative humor is lacking. It's about telling off the whiny, spoiled, privileged Trigglypuffs of the world (this is the event where that viral video came from, actually).
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2016, 03:43:37 PM »

Huh. I thought you were one of the reasonable conservatives.

He regularly "likes" CountryClassSF's racist posts on HockeyDude's site.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2016, 04:32:46 PM »

Huh. I thought you were one of the reasonable conservatives.

He regularly "likes" CountryClassSF's racist posts on HockeyDude's site.

I usually avoid liking his actually racist posts, but I like plenty of his stuff and I'm sure I've liked some racist stuff without thinking too much about it. I haven't done much AAD in a while, so I'm thinking I'll go like-bomb him now that you've mentioned it. Smiley
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2016, 10:10:48 AM »

Was the comedy supposed to begin after the angry loudmouth finished screaming?  I didn't get that far, I'm afraid.

I don't like that video for its humor; I do by and large concur with the sentiment in this thread that conservative humor is lacking. It's about telling off the whiny, spoiled, privileged Trigglypuffs of the world (this is the event where that viral video came from, actually).

DAE librulz are the real privilegeds?
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2016, 10:27:42 AM »

TYT is a parody in and of themselves, so this wasn't very funny.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2016, 02:22:57 PM »

If you are a college student with the luxury of going to a speaking engagement just to heckle the speakers, you are probably privileged.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2016, 03:30:04 PM »

If you are a college student with the luxury of going to a speaking engagement just to heckle the speakers, you are probably privileged.

Well yeah, everyone is privileged. Your point?
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2016, 03:40:36 PM »

Well yeah, everyone is privileged. Your point?

Not everyone is privileged. If you're a hobo, you can legitimately claim to not be privileged. Seeing Crowder tell off college students gives me more satisfaction than it probably should, but it rings hollow to me when well-to-do folks getting a college education like to lecture other people on their privilege.

It's like that recent viral video with a female passenger harassing a Lyft driver for having a hula dancer doll for his cultural appropriation. She tells him he needs to be more sensitive as a white male (he's actually Asian as he explains), but she also makes fun of him for not being as rich as her. Pretty hypocritical if you ask me.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2016, 09:42:24 PM »

OK, but the student was making legitimate points about feminism and privilege, and just because she was "privileged" in the sense that she could pay for college (and maybe she got scholarships or something) doesn't mean that she was privileged in every other respect.

As for your second paragraph, I totally agree with you (assuming that's an accurate description of the video) but it has nothing to do with Crowder.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #34 on: September 04, 2016, 08:24:11 AM »

OK, but the student was making legitimate points about feminism and privilege, and just because she was "privileged" in the sense that she could pay for college (and maybe she got scholarships or something) doesn't mean that she was privileged in every other respect.

There's no greater privilege than money and that's includes scholarship. College students are people who can afford to invest several years of their life into education, that's what privilege is. And if they take a education which is expensive and worthless, that's doesn't make them unprivileged, it just make them stupid.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #35 on: September 04, 2016, 10:50:14 AM »

There's no greater privilege than money and that's includes scholarship. College students are people who can afford to invest several years of their life into education, that's what privilege is. And if they take a education which is expensive and worthless, that's doesn't make them unprivileged, it just make them stupid.

OK, but she still might have other disadvantages that you don't know about. Also a Republican lecturing people on privilege is incredibly hypocritical.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #36 on: September 04, 2016, 10:52:24 AM »

The funny thing is, the only people I've heard saying that privilege automatically invalidates your opinions are conservatives.
Lyin' Steve
SteveMcQueen

« Reply #37 on: September 05, 2016, 12:56:53 PM »

The first 45 seconds were decent impersonation.  After that it was just awful awful awful.
‼realJohnEwards‼
MatteKudasai
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.87

« Reply #38 on: September 06, 2016, 09:31:41 PM »

Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #39 on: September 07, 2016, 03:14:06 PM »

As for your second paragraph, I totally agree with you (assuming that's an accurate description of the video) but it has nothing to do with Crowder.

The student I'm thinking of was shouting "take your hate speech off our campus" while shaking violently. Not many points being made there. Otherwise I was speaking in pretty abstract terms. Overall, I basically agree with ingemann.

The funny thing is, the only people I've heard saying that privilege automatically invalidates your opinions are conservatives.

It's usually not said outright, but when people describe privilege as being something invisible to its holder (which actually causes them about as much trouble as it causes their opponents, TBH), the implication is clear that people with privilege have an imperfect understanding of the issue, unless they properly "check their privilege". The endgame of this process is agreeing with the person speaking about privilege.
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #40 on: September 07, 2016, 03:29:53 PM »

Since the primaries they've improved. Their #LoserDonald saga has been very informative.
‼realJohnEwards‼
MatteKudasai
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #41 on: September 08, 2016, 09:27:30 PM »

Since the primaries they've improved. Their #LoserDonald saga has been very informative.

I admit - #LoserDonald can be amusing. But TYT is still a joke.
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #42 on: September 09, 2016, 05:08:05 AM »

I remember watching TYT circa 2008 when it only had about 30,000 subscribers. Back then it was decent and informative. Main problem with it nowadays is its 'entertainment' focus.
‼realJohnEwards‼
MatteKudasai
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #43 on: September 09, 2016, 05:17:38 PM »

I remember watching TYT circa 2008 when it only had about 30,000 subscribers. Back then it was decent and informative. Main problem with it nowadays is its 'entertainment' focus.
I agree... In that sense it's kind of like the Fox News of the left. It can be entertaining if you align with them politically, but it's junk as actual news.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #44 on: September 10, 2016, 02:37:38 PM »
« Edited: September 10, 2016, 02:40:12 PM by shua »

TYT sucks, but conservatives should leave humor to the left.

This is true, but especially true for parody in particular.  In order for parody to work you first have to understand people, their perspectives, their motivations, etc, you have to understand the world around you.  Conservatives by and large don't possess those things, so how on earth do they expect to successfully parody anything?

Contemporary satire and political humor by and large doesn't possess those things.  You think Samantha Bee or any of them have any actual understanding of conservatives?  But I'd say John Stewart and Colbert have a bit more understanding of the other side than most liberal comedians do.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
http://volokh.com/2014/01/17/jonathan-haidt-psychology-politics/

As to the parody, the impression was spot on. It was almost funny, though the bacon and homo jokes kind of ruined it for me.
freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #45 on: September 16, 2016, 04:40:57 PM »

sargon chimes in - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WV4pHtKe6ZE
Helsinkian
Finland

« Reply #46 on: March 12, 2017, 09:13:54 PM »

Steven Crowder surprises Cenk in person, crashes panel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMSRAz2VZqk
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #47 on: March 12, 2017, 09:23:39 PM »

the best anti-SJW-comedy i have seen was done by leftists.

guess it has something to do with the base you need to impress.

conservatives also often imho misrepresent what people like jon stewart are doing or what their appeal is, imho.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #48 on: March 12, 2017, 09:40:25 PM »

Humor is about making fun of the powerful. Conservatism is not.
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #49 on: March 12, 2017, 09:43:59 PM »

Conservatives just aren't funny. Remember that "half hour news hour" from FOX? Crowder is just as funny as that.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies