Your opinion of this parody of The Young Turks? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 02:45:19 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Your opinion of this parody of The Young Turks? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: What do you think of this TYT parody?
Freedom parody

Horrible parody

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 60

Author Topic: Your opinion of this parody of The Young Turks?  (Read 7055 times)
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« on: August 31, 2016, 06:18:23 PM »

I'm a big fan of Steven Crowder and many of the people that he featured in that video, but it is important to note that it was made in response to Cenk Uygur freaking out and yelling at Alex Jones. It lacks as much impact a month later when that incident has receded into the distance and nobody really cares anymore.

That context in itself suggests why parodies should not just be made ASAP to reference whatever the latest trend is, as Friedberg and Seltzer movies always were. The result is easily forgettable and not very amusing. Crowder has done better work.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2016, 09:37:15 PM »

Huh. I thought you were one of the reasonable conservatives.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oss7KmiHLmA
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2016, 03:32:00 PM »

Was the comedy supposed to begin after the angry loudmouth finished screaming?  I didn't get that far, I'm afraid.

I don't like that video for its humor; I do by and large concur with the sentiment in this thread that conservative humor is lacking. It's about telling off the whiny, spoiled, privileged Trigglypuffs of the world (this is the event where that viral video came from, actually).
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2016, 04:32:46 PM »

Huh. I thought you were one of the reasonable conservatives.

He regularly "likes" CountryClassSF's racist posts on HockeyDude's site.

I usually avoid liking his actually racist posts, but I like plenty of his stuff and I'm sure I've liked some racist stuff without thinking too much about it. I haven't done much AAD in a while, so I'm thinking I'll go like-bomb him now that you've mentioned it. Smiley
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2016, 02:22:57 PM »

Was the comedy supposed to begin after the angry loudmouth finished screaming?  I didn't get that far, I'm afraid.

I don't like that video for its humor; I do by and large concur with the sentiment in this thread that conservative humor is lacking. It's about telling off the whiny, spoiled, privileged Trigglypuffs of the world (this is the event where that viral video came from, actually).

DAE librulz are the real privilegeds?

If you are a college student with the luxury of going to a speaking engagement just to heckle the speakers, you are probably privileged.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2016, 03:40:36 PM »

DAE librulz are the real privilegeds?

If you are a college student with the luxury of going to a speaking engagement just to heckle the speakers, you are probably privileged.

Well yeah, everyone is privileged. Your point?

Not everyone is privileged. If you're a hobo, you can legitimately claim to not be privileged. Seeing Crowder tell off college students gives me more satisfaction than it probably should, but it rings hollow to me when well-to-do folks getting a college education like to lecture other people on their privilege.

It's like that recent viral video with a female passenger harassing a Lyft driver for having a hula dancer doll for his cultural appropriation. She tells him he needs to be more sensitive as a white male (he's actually Asian as he explains), but she also makes fun of him for not being as rich as her. Pretty hypocritical if you ask me.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2016, 03:14:06 PM »

OK, but the student was making legitimate points about feminism and privilege, and just because she was "privileged" in the sense that she could pay for college (and maybe she got scholarships or something) doesn't mean that she was privileged in every other respect.

As for your second paragraph, I totally agree with you (assuming that's an accurate description of the video) but it has nothing to do with Crowder.

The student I'm thinking of was shouting "take your hate speech off our campus" while shaking violently. Not many points being made there. Otherwise I was speaking in pretty abstract terms. Overall, I basically agree with ingemann.

The funny thing is, the only people I've heard saying that privilege automatically invalidates your opinions are conservatives.

It's usually not said outright, but when people describe privilege as being something invisible to its holder (which actually causes them about as much trouble as it causes their opponents, TBH), the implication is clear that people with privilege have an imperfect understanding of the issue, unless they properly "check their privilege". The endgame of this process is agreeing with the person speaking about privilege.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2017, 10:25:03 PM »

i think bill o'reilly could be very funny when he wanted to, also glenn beck in his saner moments.

just the people who are calling themselves conservative comedians usually aren't.

P.J. O'Rourke has something going for him but i guess he too is just another libertarian.
Glenn Beck before he got big was hilarious, O'Rourke is arguably the wittiest man alive.

Alex Jones is also really funny, though how much of that is intentional is unclear.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2017, 11:57:46 PM »

Alex Jones is also really funny, though how much of that is intentional is unclear.

you are absolutely right, but i wouldn't call him a conservative even on my worst days.

Point taken. His brand of rightism isn't really what could be characterized as conservative in any meaningful sense.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies