Trump will nake a major speech on immigration in Arizona on Wednesday.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 03:22:39 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Trump will nake a major speech on immigration in Arizona on Wednesday.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]
Author Topic: Trump will nake a major speech on immigration in Arizona on Wednesday.  (Read 6391 times)
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: August 31, 2016, 11:16:13 PM »

He destroyed any outreach he had attempted with the minorities tonight. Full on uneducated whites is now his focus.

He basically tried to pivot for a little over a week. At the beginning, Hillary stepped on his shoes, but he still tried even though he was already limping.

Today, after his astounding failure in Mexico, he basically threw his hands up and figured that he's only good to go for the white supremacist/nationalist vote. Thus, the speech at Arizona.

Whoever was on the fence or was thinking about going to the fence, has now been kicked off essentially.

Going into Labor Day weekend, people who will tune in will see this speech and his failure in Mexico as a reaffirmation of what they had been suspecting for over a year now. He's a candidate without temperament who only appeals to fear, has no substance, and has no interest in pragmatic or level-headed government or approaches.

It's all about the extreme, and that's a huge turnoff for moderates, swing voters, center-oriented Rs, and undecided independents.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #101 on: August 31, 2016, 11:22:17 PM »
« Edited: August 31, 2016, 11:24:18 PM by #TheShadowyAbyss »

He destroyed any outreach he had attempted with the minorities tonight. Full on uneducated whites is now his focus.

Did he have any shot at getting more than 10% of the total non-white vote?

This speech seemed like he edited it last minute after getting his ego bubble busted after President Nieto pushed back against him
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #102 on: August 31, 2016, 11:26:29 PM »

Watching the families of people who died at the hands of illegal aliens was hard to watch. I see why they back Trump, but the devotion to him was a bit unsettling.

I understand why they're devoted to him.  THEIR government failed them.  Not just their Federal Government, but, in some case their "Sanctuary City" local government which, quite frankly, obstructed justice.

These people are sick and tired of folks whining about people who come here illegally needing to "come out of the shadows", or concern about "keeping families together", or how (from Jeb!'s mouth to my ears) it's an "act of love" to crash the border and enter America.  They endure these discussions watching the news in the face of their own experiences and rightly conclude that political elites that benefit from illegal immigration not only don't care about these people's pain, but find them a nuisance and hope they go away.  I'm sure that at least some of them hoped that someone other than Donald Trump would stand up for them, but they're glad that he did.  Hillary Clinton couldn't care less about these folks; they cramp HER talking points.

What's the difference between the Angel Moms on stage with Trump and the Khans?  The difference is that while the Khans endured tragedy, their government did not fail them.  Captain Khan enlisted in the military; he signed up for the possibility of being killed in action.  All of our military do, in reality.  My second son did, and served in Afghanistan; he could have come home dead, and I'm thankful to God that he didn't.  Trump's Angel Moms are a different story; they are all cases of folks whose government failed to protect citizenry, and the cases that involve "sanctuary cities" are the most egregious failures of government not fulfilling its first duty to its citizens.

I agree.  Liberals care more about illegal immigrants than its own citizens.  We have a President who has expressed more outrage at the GOP and the NRA than at radical Muslims who kill people.  This is a President who called the ISIS a "JV squad," refuses to use the term "radical Islam," and called the Fort Hood shooting a case of "workplace violence."  Americans are tired of liberals demonizing white men, accusing them of "white male privilege," and trying to force our daughters/sisters/nieces/wives/moms to use the same bathroom as a confused middle-aged man who thinks he's a "woman." 

What total boneheadedness... 
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #103 on: August 31, 2016, 11:35:13 PM »

Watching the families of people who died at the hands of illegal aliens was hard to watch. I see why they back Trump, but the devotion to him was a bit unsettling.

I understand why they're devoted to him.  THEIR government failed them.  Not just their Federal Government, but, in some case their "Sanctuary City" local government which, quite frankly, obstructed justice.

These people are sick and tired of folks whining about people who come here illegally needing to "come out of the shadows", or concern about "keeping families together", or how (from Jeb!'s mouth to my ears) it's an "act of love" to crash the border and enter America.  They endure these discussions watching the news in the face of their own experiences and rightly conclude that political elites that benefit from illegal immigration not only don't care about these people's pain, but find them a nuisance and hope they go away.  I'm sure that at least some of them hoped that someone other than Donald Trump would stand up for them, but they're glad that he did.  Hillary Clinton couldn't care less about these folks; they cramp HER talking points.

What's the difference between the Angel Moms on stage with Trump and the Khans?  The difference is that while the Khans endured tragedy, their government did not fail them.  Captain Khan enlisted in the military; he signed up for the possibility of being killed in action.  All of our military do, in reality.  My second son did, and served in Afghanistan; he could have come home dead, and I'm thankful to God that he didn't.  Trump's Angel Moms are a different story; they are all cases of folks whose government failed to protect citizenry, and the cases that involve "sanctuary cities" are the most egregious failures of government not fulfilling its first duty to its citizens.

I agree.  Liberals care more about illegal immigrants than its own citizens.  We have a President who has expressed more outrage at the GOP and the NRA than at radical Muslims who kill people.  This is a President who called the ISIS a "JV squad," refuses to use the term "radical Islam," and called the Fort Hood shooting a case of "workplace violence."  Americans are tired of liberals demonizing white men, accusing them of "white male privilege," and trying to force our daughters/sisters/nieces/wives/moms to use the same bathroom as a confused middle-aged man who thinks he's a "woman." 

What total boneheadedness... 

And he is a NeverTrump poster too.

That entire party is ****ing crazy.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #104 on: August 31, 2016, 11:52:34 PM »

Did he have any shot at getting more than 10% of the total non-white vote?
This speech seemed like he edited it last minute after getting his ego bubble busted after President Nieto pushed back against him

I somewhat agree with this.
I think after trump got wind of how the President of Mexico (basically) called him a liar and someone who has no "huevos," trump turned his Arizona speech tonight to sound even more extreme.
Once again, trump can dish-it-out but can not take it. He does not have the temperament to be our president. The narcissistic orange-haired clown needs to be defeated !
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #105 on: August 31, 2016, 11:58:21 PM »

I'm an anti-Trump conservative but really liked his immigration speech.

Hillary and the liberals want unfettered open borders, dramatic increase in Muslim refugees, and sanctuary cities. The social, cultural, and economic costs to this country will be profound and irreversible.  Look at what's happening to Germany under Angela Merkel. No thanks!

Would you say this in a boardroom filled mostly with Muslim and Hispanic businessmen? didn't think so.

Oh wait. You don't encounter those much, do you ?
Seriously?
United States

« Reply #106 on: September 01, 2016, 12:10:33 AM »

I don't know, I thought the argument pitting illegal immigrants vs. legal immigrants and those in underprivileged communities was a pretty good, coherent one.  The market for unskilled labor is distorted by the illegal immigrant population, which isn't subject to the country's minimum wage laws.

And of course, having the Angel Moms (and Dads) out there sent a powerful message as to the impact of what happens when you do not police illegal immigration.

Between that and Trump's measure tone with Mexican President Nieto, it was a very good, positive day for the Trump campaign.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #107 on: September 01, 2016, 12:13:24 AM »

I don't know, I thought the argument pitting illegal immigrants vs. legal immigrants and those in underprivileged communities was a pretty good, coherent one.  The market for unskilled labor is distorted by the illegal immigrant population, which isn't subject to the country's minimum wage laws.

And of course, having the Angel Moms (and Dads) out there sent a powerful message as to the impact of what happens when you do not police illegal immigration.

Between that and Trump's measure tone with Mexican President Nieto, it was a very good, positive day for the Trump campaign.

Selective reasoning and selective ignorance are wonderful things; I tell ya. You know you are being disingenuous.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #108 on: September 01, 2016, 12:23:42 AM »

Hey guys, I heard something about Hillary and emails.
Interlocutor is just not there yet
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.04

« Reply #109 on: September 01, 2016, 01:18:47 AM »
« Edited: September 01, 2016, 01:21:45 AM by Interlocutor »

For what its worth, here's how the Los Angeles news affiliates covered Trump's day (In order). Unimas has been covering him for the last 10 minutes, followed by Nieto's reasoning for inviting him.

1. Trump gave his immigration speech in Arizona. Among the most repeated lines were "We will build a great wall around the southern border", "They don't know it yet, but Mexico is paying for it", and "Zero tolerance for criminal aliens". NBC4 called the deportation taskforce 'somewhat of a softening'. FOX11 called the speech a double-down

2. The speech came hours after he met with the President of Mexico, in which President Nieto said afterwards that Trump lied about paying for the wall.

3. Protests in Norwalk & Mexico. Unimas followed up with clips from Hillary's speech at the American Legion.

Headline on Unimas: 'Aggressive and Severe, Such is the Immigration Plan of Donald Trump'
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #110 on: September 01, 2016, 07:59:26 AM »
« Edited: September 01, 2016, 08:03:17 AM by MasterJedi »

All the glorious Trumpers on CNN FB comments are now saying that once the wall is built we need to deport all of the media and non-Trump supporting Washington insider politicians to Mexico. Sieg Heil!
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #111 on: September 01, 2016, 08:02:34 AM »

All the glorious Trumpers on CNN FB comments are now saying that once the wall is built we need to deport all of the media and non-Trump supporting Washington insider politicians to Mexico. Sig Heil!

Are these people ever going to realize that you can't deport US citizens?

[No, of course not.  It was silly of me to think so even for a minute.]
‼realJohnEwards‼
MatteKudasai
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.87

« Reply #112 on: September 01, 2016, 08:46:56 AM »

I understand why you would be outraged at this (I'm ignoring the second half of your post because it's irrelevant), but consider that ISIS's main talking (and recruiting!) point is that there is some sort of "holy war" between Islam and the West. Now, if we get Trump in the White House, he's clearly going to play into this narrative full blast, and ISIS's bullsh*t will gain validity (and potency). On the other hand, treating them with disdain (even as we bomb the sh*t out of them), as Obama has, saps that narrative of power, as:
  • Keeping Islam out of it destroys the narrative of a holy war that drives ISIS
  • Treating them with condescension dismisses the idea that they are a real threat to civilization
The saddest thing is that we have a candidate whose rhetoric would (if it hasn't already) essentially validate ISIS's narrative, and allow them to gain much more power than they might otherwise.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #113 on: September 01, 2016, 10:42:03 AM »

All the glorious Trumpers on CNN FB comments are now saying that once the wall is built we need to deport all of the media and non-Trump supporting Washington insider politicians to Mexico. Sig Heil!

But they're just evil liberals so they don't matter, silly GeorgiaModerate, liberals aren't human!
rob in cal
« Reply #114 on: September 01, 2016, 10:43:02 AM »

With his calls for an immigration commission to evaluate the overall numbers of total legal immigration, Trump his channeling his inner-Bill Clinton, who had his own Barbara Jordan chaired immigration commission in the 90's (our liberal leaning posters would be intrigued to discover the overall findings of it btw).  
   By and large, he is calling for enforcement of existing immigration laws, I believe, unless I missed something.
Beefalow and the Consumer
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.77, S: -8.78

« Reply #115 on: September 01, 2016, 10:55:49 AM »

I understand why you would be outraged at this (I'm ignoring the second half of your post because it's irrelevant), but consider that ISIS's main talking (and recruiting!) point is that there is some sort of "holy war" between Islam and the West. Now, if we get Trump in the White House, he's clearly going to play into this narrative full blast, and ISIS's bullsh*t will gain validity (and potency). On the other hand, treating them with disdain (even as we bomb the sh*t out of them), as Obama has, saps that narrative of power, as:
  • Keeping Islam out of it destroys the narrative of a holy war that drives ISIS
  • Treating them with condescension dismisses the idea that they are a real threat to civilization
The saddest thing is that we have a candidate whose rhetoric would (if it hasn't already) essentially validate ISIS's narrative, and allow them to gain much more power than they might otherwise.

Welcome to the forum!  I'm quoting and bolding for truth, because this is such a clear and concise way of stating how dangerous Donald Trump is.
Erich Maria Remarque
LittleBigPlanet
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #116 on: September 01, 2016, 11:01:42 AM »

But they're just evil liberals so they don't matter, silly GeorgiaModerate, liberals aren't human!
Erich Maria Remarque
LittleBigPlanet
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #117 on: September 01, 2016, 11:03:14 AM »

With his calls for an immigration commission to evaluate the overall numbers of total legal immigration, Trump his channeling his inner-Bill Clinton, who had his own Barbara Jordan chaired immigration commission in the 90's (our liberal leaning posters would be intrigued to discover the overall findings of it btw).  
   By and large, he is calling for enforcement of existing immigration laws, I believe, unless I missed something.
President Clinton on Borders & Immigration, 1996
Trump is Clinton's plant Sad
rob in cal
« Reply #118 on: September 01, 2016, 11:11:46 AM »

Doesn't Trump realize that he's trying to turn the US into another Finland. Of all European countries that were never part of the east bloc, Finland has had the least per capita immigration, at least until recently, and the traumatic impacts on Finnish society are being felt even today: plunging test scores, rampant political corruption, economic collapse, a destroyed labor movement, huge income inequality etc, etc.
   Ok, just kidding about all the negative effects.
Erich Maria Remarque
LittleBigPlanet
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #119 on: September 01, 2016, 11:13:07 AM »

Doesn't Trump realize that he's trying to turn the US into another Finland. Of all European countries that were never part of the east bloc, Finland has had the least per capita immigration, at least until recently, and the traumatic impacts on Finnish society are being felt even today: plunging test scores, rampant political corruption, economic collapse, a destroyed labor movement, huge income inequality etc, etc.
   Ok, just kidding about all the negative effects.
Fascist!
Erich Maria Remarque
LittleBigPlanet
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #120 on: September 01, 2016, 08:10:34 PM »

Surprisingly sane analysis from ABC News.
After Immigration Speech, Experts Weigh In on Feasibility of Trump's Plans
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Pretty much!

But one should not underestimate the power of rhetoric/words. Trump have truly mastered it Smiley
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #121 on: September 01, 2016, 10:04:56 PM »

Just because something terrible happens to someone in your family does not give you the excuse to be an extremist or to back an extremist who could damage the country.

I get this to a point.  I get this when you apply it to the victims of drunk drivers or sex offenders, and, especially when the victim dies, their families.  Their pain is immense, but I won't sign off on the sentiment that it's OK to shoot the defendant as he/she comes into court, and I won't sign off on lowering the standard of a criminal trial to something less than "guilt beyond a reasonable doubt" for conviction. 

But the Angel Moms are different.  THEIR loved ones are dead because their government failed to enforce existing laws.  Indeed, those whose loved ones died as a result of Sanctuary Cities can, arguably, say that their loved ones died because their local officials obstructed what should have been the normal workings of the criminal justice system.

Whatever you want to say about Trump's policy, his positions on enforcement reflects existing laws; even "the wall" (which, I admit, may never be built) is consistent as a tool to enforce existing law.  Hillary's REAL position is on ignoring existing law until the situation reaches critical mass and some sort of "amnesty" gains sufficient traction.  There is a problem with any nation that comes to the point where it cannot be counted on to enforce its own laws.  At some point, that nation ceases becoming a government of laws and becomes a government of men.  Is that a good thing?  Not in my opinion, but that's what Hillary Clinton is actually advocating.  (That begs other questions, but that's for other topics.)
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #122 on: September 01, 2016, 10:16:51 PM »

Well color me surprised.  Trump went full George Wallace in Arizona and the white racists on this board and elsewhere are getting tingles up their leg.  Have fun losing in November.  You deserve it.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #123 on: September 01, 2016, 10:45:29 PM »

Well color me surprised.  Trump went full George Wallace in Arizona and the white racists on this board and elsewhere are getting tingles up their leg.  Have fun losing in November.  You deserve it.

Alas, I am not that certain that the Good wins and the Evil loses. From your lips to His ears.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies