Hillary pays her full taxes...does Trump?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 04:04:07 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Hillary pays her full taxes...does Trump?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Hillary pays her full taxes...does Trump?  (Read 659 times)
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 30, 2016, 06:25:31 PM »

http://www.politicususa.com/2016/08/18/clintons-pay-high-tax-rate-hillary-proposes-raising.html

Say what you will about the Clintons, but they do pay their taxes. And it's a high rate: 34.2%.

They don't try to wiggle out of paying their taxes. They paid 3.6 million in 2015.

Does anyone who backs Trump know what he pays? I don't think so. Nobody does because he won't disclose. But you can bet he doesn't pay near what the Clinton's do.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

That should get a bunch of kudos from the American public, but do they even know or care? Or are they too busy bashing the Clinton's for all the minor things that don't mean a hill of beans in the end?

Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2016, 06:28:03 PM »

Here's a quote from the link above in my original post. For those who think Hillary is in the pocket of Wall Street bankers, well think again. If her tax proposal goes through, her and Bill's taxes will go up up up.

Something to think about during all the Clinton bashing. They do some things in exemplary fashion, indeed.
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2016, 06:30:26 PM »

Of course not. That's why he won't release his returns (on top of probable links to the Russians in some aspect).
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2016, 06:33:56 PM »

B-b-b-but EMaILS!
Arbitrage1980
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2016, 06:34:31 PM »

Here's a quote from the link above in my original post. For those who think Hillary is in the pocket of Wall Street bankers, well think again. If her tax proposal goes through, her and Bill's taxes will go up up up.

Something to think about during all the Clinton bashing. They do some things in exemplary fashion, indeed.

As an anti-Trump finance professional, I REALLY hate Hillary's leftward move on economic and fiscal policies.  I was open to voting for her but will most likely vote Johnson.
Seriously?
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2016, 07:19:22 PM »

Comparing Trump's taxes to Hillary Clinton's taxes is like comparing apples and oranges.

Trump's wealth comes from real estate, which appreciates in value, but does not get taxed until it's sold.

Hillary and Bill generally generate income from giving speeches, etc., which get taxed at an ordinary income rate.

Most people can't appreciate the difference between the two, which is why I am NOT shocked that Trump hasn't released his tax returns.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2016, 07:53:11 PM »

Comparing Trump's taxes to Hillary Clinton's taxes is like comparing apples and oranges.

Trump's wealth comes from real estate, which appreciates in value, but does not get taxed until it's sold.

Hillary and Bill generally generate income from giving speeches, etc., which get taxed at an ordinary income rate.

Most people can't appreciate the difference between the two, which is why I am NOT shocked that Trump hasn't released his tax returns.

Did you miss this part:

Can you say that about Trump?

Seriously?
United States

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2016, 08:21:44 PM »

Did you miss this part:

Because very few "tax dodges" are available when you generate income as opposed to create wealth. There's a huge difference. The tax code favors investment over income generation.

Of course Trump uses tax dodges, to the fullest extent the law allows. And I am certain that the Clintons, who itemized their donated underwear back in the day, or any rational taxpayer would do the same thing.
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2016, 10:34:22 PM »

Trump is a tax-dodging crook.  He's welcome to prove me wrong by actually releasing all of his tax returns.  But of course he won't, because they are full of nasty stuff.
Mercenary

Political Matrix
E: -3.94, S: -2.70

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2016, 10:48:37 PM »

While I dislike Trump, I don't see the big deal with tax returns. Why are they even really necessary to release?

I mean sure good for the Clintons if they want to release them and good that they aren't dodging their taxes. I commend them for that. But I don't really care if Trump doesn't release his. He is a horrible candidate in general and releasing them will make no difference.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2016, 10:50:47 PM »

Trump is a tax-dodging crook.  He's welcome to prove me wrong by actually releasing all of his tax returns.  But of course he won't, because they are full of nasty stuff.
I could get 10 highly paid lawyers make you recant that. Tongue
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2016, 11:31:36 PM »

While I dislike Trump, I don't see the big deal with tax returns. Why are they even really necessary to release?

I mean sure good for the Clintons if they want to release them and good that they aren't dodging their taxes. I commend them for that. But I don't really care if Trump doesn't release his. He is a horrible candidate in general and releasing them will make no difference.

More than spotlighting Trump's lack of transparency with his taxes, I was attempting to highlight something positive that the Clinton's have done, in the midst of all the accusations about everything that people think is wrong with them. The Clintons have done a lot of good for our country, but you'd never know it by all the negative press they constantly get, which is very tiring.

Mercenary

Political Matrix
E: -3.94, S: -2.70

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2016, 01:47:32 AM »

More than spotlighting Trump's lack of transparency with his taxes, I was attempting to highlight something positive that the Clinton's have done, in the midst of all the accusations about everything that people think is wrong with them. The Clintons have done a lot of good for our country, but you'd never know it by all the negative press they constantly get, which is very tiring.

Well, I can understand that. It is kind of funny. I don't really like Clinton but I don't really get a lot of the negative views towards her. The whole email thing was stupid and the Benghazi thing was ridiculously drawn out. Anyone else and those things wouldn't have mattered at all. My main issue with her is basically the same issue I have with most politicians and that is foreign policy and privacy issues. Actually I don't even really know why I dislike her. I mean she isn't any worse than any other politician really. So I am not even sure why I have a more positive view of Obama. Perhaps it is just she is the politician I've known longest, along with her husband. I mean I remember knowing her name in elementary school. I cannot say that about any other politician still in office or running for office. But oddly if anything my view of her has actually improved this election season. Perhaps just because the attacks against her tend to be so ridiculous and she seems to handle them pretty well or perhaps it is just her opponent is so awful that she seems good by comparison.
Erich Maria Remarque
LittleBigPlanet
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2016, 04:24:36 AM »

Don't you get it?

Washington and politicians are corrupt. Why would Trump pay taxes if those entirely go to THE CORRUPT POLITICIANS? No way, folks. No way. We don't win anymore.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2016, 04:33:31 AM »

Don't you get it?

Washington and politicians are corrupt. Why would Trump pay taxes if those entirely go to THE CORRUPT POLITICIANS? No way, folks. No way. We don't win anymore.

So you don't have to pay taxes if you don't believe the Government? Well, guess what I am doing with my taxes if Trump wins. He will understand, right?
Rand
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2016, 07:56:23 AM »

The Clintons pay taxes? Sad! Government lap dogs is what they are, NOT FIGHTERS! I mean, how stupid are they? NO tax dodging? Seriously, folks, the Cayman Islands are laughing at them! Benghazi and emails, Monica Lewinsky, something something tremendous...big genitals and nuking Europe.

I doubt the Trump camp will give her much credit here.  In their eyes everything else she has been accused and cleared of cancels things like this out.  Hopefully this will be a question during the debates for which Trump will have to squirm to answer, and Clinton will most likely be prepared to draw a sharp contrast on the issue of taxes.  I can see him sweating like usual as the moderator and Clinton calmly emphasize the release of her taxes and the tax rate she paid while hammering him on his.  It's going to be great.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2016, 08:05:45 AM »

Should pass a law, to run for President you need to release the last 5-10 years of your tax returns, if you don't you can't run.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2016, 08:29:03 AM »

Basic logic calls for the release of tax returns. If a candidate has squeaky clean returns, obviously they'll be released, because it is to their advantage to do so. So anyone who doesn't release them has something harmful to the chances in their returns.

But it goes beyond that. If a candidate has something only a little embarrassing - taking advantage of a legal loophole, or blew some money on a dumb investment, it still makes sense to release returns rather than have voters think it's something worse. After all, they could be a complete cheat, or lying to the pubic. So they'll release and prove that it's only a small mistake.

And so on down the line - every candidate has an incentive to release their taxes, in order to demonstrate that they're not as bad as they could be. Look at Romeny's "only 14%" and Swiss bank account as an example - that wasn't going to help him with anyone, but not releasing would have implied he was hiding something even worse.

The only candidate with no incentive to release their taxes is one where what's in them is worse than anything the public could plausibly imagine, or where releasing them would utterly destroy their campaign, turning it into a smoking crater.

Until and unless he demonstrates otherwise by releasing them, it's perfectly reasonable to assume that Trump's tax returns prove he is a lying, criminal, bankrupt pedophile who is an agent of foreign powers.

Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2016, 08:37:31 AM »

Here's another thought about releasing taxes. If someone knows they are going to run for President, then perhaps they will be motivated to conduct themselves financially in a responsible way in the years following up to their bid for the WH. Maybe it will keep them walking the straight and narrow....

Unless you are Trump, of course.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2016, 08:39:38 AM »

Should pass a law, to run for President you need to release the last 5-10 years of your tax returns, if you don't you can't run.
That would likely be struck down by the Supremes.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2016, 08:45:10 AM »

I’m pretty sure that he’s reporting no or negative income to avoid almost all if not any taxes on US soil. Fraud is his main business, so I wouldn’t be surprised at all.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2016, 09:01:45 AM »

Did you miss this part:

Because very few "tax dodges" are available when you generate income as opposed to create wealth. There's a huge difference. The tax code favors investment over income generation.

Of course Trump uses tax dodges, to the fullest extent the law allows. And I am certain that the Clintons, who itemized their donated underwear back in the day, or any rational taxpayer would do the same thing.

What seems to be the case for the Clinton's, to their credit IMO, is that they invest their money in their charity organization which has helped a lot of people over the years, rather than "creating income through investment" -- as you say -- and then dodging taxes like Trump does.

I find what the Clinton's do very commendable, whereas what Trump does...not so much.
Plankton5165

P
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2016, 10:36:00 PM »

If you wanna save money, vote for Trump!
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies