Democrats: Don't Freak Out Over Tightening Polls
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 04:43:37 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Democrats: Don't Freak Out Over Tightening Polls
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Democrats: Don't Freak Out Over Tightening Polls  (Read 998 times)
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 09, 2016, 11:49:26 PM »

It's worth a read, bearing in mind this is a political website geared toward Democrats and progressives:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Fusionmunster

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2016, 12:05:57 AM »

We're democrats, freaking out is what we do.
Doimper
Doctor Imperialism

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2016, 12:16:35 AM »

Things are looking better for Clinton right now than they did for Obama in 2008 or 2012. I'm not worried.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2016, 12:19:19 AM »

Asking people not to freak out over polls is like asking dogs not to drool at the sight of food.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2016, 12:21:19 AM »

I haven't freaked out this entire general election, and probably won't at all unless I suddenly see Trump pulling ahead in states he needs to win, like Pennsylvania.
rob in cal
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2016, 12:44:51 AM »

Heck, even if Trump wins, a key element in all this is the second line in the article, "As America makes its way though a multi-decade transformation from a mainly white country to a truly multi-racial nation".  Dems are playing with house money, they, not the GOP benefit politically from so-called Brazilification of the US.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2016, 12:46:47 AM »

I'm not worried.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2016, 02:10:30 AM »

The only thing that really worries me is that this could end up being a tight win instead of a comfortable 2012 - 2008+ win.

However, as much as I'd love to believe the premise of this article, it sounds like overly-optimistic excuses. Hillary is the 2nd most unpopular candidate to run in the history of polling, only behind Donald Trump, her opponent. There is little people can do to convince me that Hillary's unpopularity and awful amounts of baggage isn't costing her and Democrats quite a bit right now. Relatively normal candidates don't have FBI investigations and email leaks absolutely wrecking their trustworthiness and image in the eyes of voters, with literally a weekly trickle of bad news or new "revelations" dragging down poll numbers. Hillary's own self-inflicted issues have been like an anvil around her neck this entire time - something other candidates wouldn't have had to deal with. It doesn't even matter if any of these faux scandals are worthy of coverage or even valid complaints - voters clearly care about it and it's hurting her. What happens when Assange releases his new take-down-hillary-to-elect-trump files in a couple weeks?

I don't really have anything against her in general, but I'm sick of her problems. Democrats could have better than this. Her connections and institutional support got the party to clear the way for her, and now we have to deal with this massive amount of baggage she brought with her and the implications it carries should she win and hold the White House with abysmal Bush-like approval ratings going into 2018 & 2020.

I really think Democrats would be doing a disservice to themselves & each other by even trying to ignore this. Maybe her approval ratings don't end up being so bad while in office, but what if they do, which her current numbers suggest? What then?
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2016, 06:11:00 AM »

Coolface Sock #42069
whitesox130
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: 2.26

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2016, 09:15:11 AM »

It's not just you; trust me. Conservatives freak out as well.
Anyway, I wouldn't worry. Getting to 45 for Trump will be far, far easier than getting to 50. And I'm not even sure he'll make it to 45, since we're probably going to have a very strong showing by Gary Johnson this year.
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2016, 09:25:54 AM »

Anyway, I wouldn't worry. Getting to 45 for Trump will be far, far easier than getting to 50. And I'm not even sure he'll make it to 45, since we're probably going to have a very strong showing by Gary Johnson this year.
I actually think that liberals tend to freak out more over bad polls than conservatives. Conservatives seem to be so confident that they are going to win, hence unskewed polls, Dick Morris, Seriously?, the dumbass Swede, etc. We liberals always fear that we are probably losing. I think it has to do with really not trusting the general public. I have very little faith that the average working class Joe wouldn't just follow the fascist alpha male blindly. That is the kind of sh**t that keeps me awake at night. And that is even if rationally I know that Clinton really should be winning this fairly easily.

I was one of those always worried that Obama would fumble and lose to Romney as well.
Erich Maria Remarque
LittleBigPlanet
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2016, 09:37:12 AM »

I actually think that liberals tend to freak out more over bad polls than conservatives. Conservatives seem to be so confident that they are going to win, hence unskewed polls, Dick Morris, Seriously?, the dumbass Swede, etc. We liberals always fear that we are probably losing. I think it has to do with really not trusting the general public. I have very little faith that the average working class Joe wouldn't just follow the fascist alpha male blindly. That is the kind of sh**t that keeps me awake at night. And that is even if rationally I know that Clinton really should be winning this fairly easily.

I was one of those always worried that Obama would fumble and lose to Romney as well.
Lol. Majority of unskewers votes for Clinton.
Qu is junk. Online is junk. CNN and Fox wants the horse race etc.

But when we get a poll from noname pollster showing Clinton with nice numbers, THEN all unskewers are gone...
Bismarck
Chancellor

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2016, 10:25:06 AM »

Lol. Majority of unskewers votes for Clinton.
Qu is junk. Online is junk. CNN and Fox wants the horse race etc.

But when we get a poll from noname pollster showing Clinton with nice numbers, THEN all unskewers are gone...

Don't agree with all your posts but this is so true.
ursulahx
United Kingdom

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2016, 10:51:31 AM »

PEC Meta-Margin is Clinton +3.6%. If you'd offered Dems that at the start of the race, they'd have bitten your hand off. They're only panicking because the gap has narrowed, not because Clinton doesn't have a very respectable lead.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies