Trump goes to Mexico
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 08:50:48 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Trump goes to Mexico
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10
Author Topic: Trump goes to Mexico  (Read 7775 times)
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: August 31, 2016, 10:13:21 AM »

Frankly, as a PANista supporter, I do not mind this too much: the 2018 PRI candidate will have to do some unpleasant explaining, and I cannot say that I am very upset about that.
Unless he absolutely demolishes Trump today, I agree. EPN may be using this as a cynical ploy to get support by unleashing on Trump.
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

« Reply #51 on: August 31, 2016, 10:14:42 AM »

Vicente Fox Quesada ‏@VicenteFoxQue
@realDonaldTrump, I invited you to come and apologize to all Mexicans. Stop lying! Mexico is not yours to play with, show some respect.

Former President Fox just told Trump to stop lying! BAD!
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #52 on: August 31, 2016, 10:15:02 AM »

Frankly, as a PANista supporter, I do not mind this too much: the 2018 PRI candidate will have to do some unpleasant explaining, and I cannot say that I am very upset about that.
Unless he absolutely demolishes Trump today, I agree. EPN may be using this as a cynical ploy to get support by unleashing on Trump.

I doubt. He is too... should I say, "limited-minded" for that. Do not expect much from Enrique Peña Nieto. His only talent is personal charm, and that is what he is going to deploy, alas.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #53 on: August 31, 2016, 10:19:54 AM »

The slogan for today´s anti-Trump protest at the Angel: ¡Que Peña Trump!
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #54 on: August 31, 2016, 10:27:19 AM »

Are you Mexican? Smiley
You are new to this forum, are you?
You live in Mexico, but you are ..?

No hay mexicanos de segunda. Of course, I am.

Isn't PAN the party of the right in Mexico, or do I have it backwards?
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #55 on: August 31, 2016, 10:32:54 AM »

I doubt. He is too... should I say, "limited-minded" for that. Do not expect much from Enrique Peña Nieto. His only talent is personal charm, and that is what he is going to deploy, alas.
Well then why the hell is he doing this?
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #56 on: August 31, 2016, 11:31:08 AM »

Are you Mexican? Smiley
You are new to this forum, are you?
You live in Mexico, but you are ..?

No hay mexicanos de segunda. Of course, I am.

Isn't PAN the party of the right in Mexico, or do I have it backwards?

Yes, of course. But on Trump it does not matter. Remember: it is a rightwing Mexican Catholic party.  Whatever their thoughts on the economy, they are still Mexicans and Catholics. Hence, like the rest of us, they hate Trump.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #57 on: August 31, 2016, 11:32:14 AM »

Because, alas, he is an idiot.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #58 on: August 31, 2016, 11:49:37 AM »

Of course, but even idiots have their reasoning.
PeteB
Canada

« Reply #59 on: August 31, 2016, 12:43:32 PM »

To quote myself:

......One scenario would be that Pena Nieto offers concessions to the US for NOT building the wall, allowing Trump to introduce a softer immigration approach. It would allow Pena Nieto to show Mexicans how he can handle potential crisis, while Trump could demonstrate to US voters how his rhetoric brings results.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #60 on: August 31, 2016, 01:23:41 PM »
« Edited: August 31, 2016, 01:30:48 PM by ag »

To quote myself:

......One scenario would be that Pena Nieto offers concessions to the US for NOT building the wall, allowing Trump to introduce a softer immigration approach. It would allow Pena Nieto to show Mexicans how he can handle potential crisis, while Trump could demonstrate to US voters how his rhetoric brings results.

Peña Nieto has run his last campaign. He is out. The only question is, if he can impose a successor for PRI nomination - most people think he cannot. His ability to control the party is shaky. His own faction in the party is widely viewed as indecently corrupt even by the party insiders. The party has lost a bunch of states in a run-of-the-mill off-year election, including the states it had never lost and should never have lost (in several cases due to lack of cooperation between factions). Peña Nieto himself is in the middle of several nasty corruption scandals. So, he is the lamest of lame ducks. Even if he wanted to offer anything, he would have hard time passing it. He does not think in strategic terms at this point (even if he ever did, which is doubtful). His thought process was much simpler. I would say, it was roughly like this:

Whoever wins the US elections, Mexican government would have to deal with. More things have been said than is prudent. It is definitely not very prudent to insert ourselves into US politics - even if Trump loses now, you do not want to make it appear Mexico supports the Dems. So, an empty jesture of neutrality: polite letter to both candidates - is a nice thing to do. He never expected Trump to take it. He has no clue what to talk about. I guess, they will talk about the weather.
Fusionmunster

« Reply #61 on: August 31, 2016, 01:31:41 PM »

Any idea when this dumpster fire is happening?
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #62 on: August 31, 2016, 01:33:50 PM »

To quote myself:

Peña Nieto has run his last campaign. He is out. The only question is, if he can impose a successor for PRI nomination - most people think he cannot. His ability to control the party is shaky. His own faction in the party is widely viewed as indecently corrupt even by the party insiders. The party has lost a bunch of states in a run-of-the-mill off-year election, including the states it had never lost and should never have lost (in several cases due to lack of cooperation between factions). Peña Nieto himself is in the middle of several nasty corruption scandals. So, he is the lamest of lame ducks. Even if he wanted to offer anything, he would have hard time passing it. He does not think in strategic terms at this point (even if he ever did, which is doubtful). His thought process was much simpler. I would say, it was roughly like this:

Whoever wins the US elections, Mexican government would have to deal with. More things have been said than is prudent. It is definitely not very prudent to insert ourselves into US politics - even if Trump loses now, you do not want to make it appear Mexico supports the Dems. So, an empty jesture of neutrality: polite letter to both candidates - is a nice thing to do. He never expected Trump to take it. He has no clue what to talk about. I guess, they will talk about the weather.

Yes, the weather at the resorts Trump is going to build down there after he loses the election!
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #63 on: August 31, 2016, 01:47:29 PM »

Touchdown in Mexico City.
Fusionmunster

« Reply #64 on: August 31, 2016, 01:55:05 PM »

Didnt bring any press, why did he go again?
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #65 on: August 31, 2016, 02:03:52 PM »
« Edited: August 31, 2016, 02:21:04 PM by Simfan34 »

Surely the local bureaux of the networks have people who can cover this?

EDIT: The American Journalism Review reports that the following organizations had bureaux in Mexico City as of 2011:

- Arizona Republic/USA Today (Chris Hawley)
- Christian Science Monitor (Sara Miller Llana)
- Dallas Morning News (Alfredo Corchado)
- Houston Chronicle (Dudley Althaus)
- Los Angeles Times (Ken Ellingwood, Tracy Wilkinson)
- McClatchy (Tim Johnson)
- New York Times (Randal Archibold, Damien Cave, Elisabeth Malkin)
- Wall Street Journal
- Washington Post (William Booth)
- AP Latin America desk
- Bloomberg News
- ABC News
- CNN
- NPR
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #66 on: August 31, 2016, 02:09:35 PM »

Judging by the tenor of today´s lunchtime conversation, we are rapidly moving into impeachment levels of support of Peña. And this is, literally, days before the State of the Union. The guy is an imbecile.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #67 on: August 31, 2016, 02:10:50 PM »

Any idea when this dumpster fire is happening?

Now. The SOB is in the helicopter.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #68 on: August 31, 2016, 02:11:55 PM »

PRD has demanded Trump is deported. PAN is moving in the Senate to block the meeting - too late, unfortunately.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #69 on: August 31, 2016, 02:12:46 PM »

City Council has declared Trump "persona non grata". Alas, it is purely symbolic in this case.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #70 on: August 31, 2016, 02:13:16 PM »

First Conway says Trump will take questions. But now:

Kyle Griffin ‏@kylegriffin1
Campaign official tells NBC's @alivitali Trump and Nieto will make a joint statement, there will be NO questions.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #71 on: August 31, 2016, 02:14:47 PM »

Campaign official tells NBC's @alivitali Trump and Nieto will make a joint statement, there will be NO questions.

Peña Nieto cannot even face the press now without Trump on his side. I am afraid, the only thing Mexican press would be interested in inquiring at this point, is Peña´s effective resignation date.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #72 on: August 31, 2016, 02:15:22 PM »

PRI in the Senate is now on record supporting the "invitation". This is political suicide.
Fusionmunster

« Reply #73 on: August 31, 2016, 02:15:53 PM »

Judging by the tenor of today´s lunchtime conversation, we are rapidly moving into impeachment levels of support of Peña. And this is, literally, days before the State of the Union. The guy is an imbecile.

Is your president really this stupid?
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #74 on: August 31, 2016, 02:17:07 PM »

The first page of El Universal has links to multiple stories and commentary, with the word "vergüenza" figuring prominently, as you might imagine. 

No real news yet, other than a short helicopter flight and some people holding up protest signs, as well as a piece that says that the PRI supports the decision to receive Trump, if I'm reading it right. 
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies