If you were a Muslim woman, would you wear a hijab?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 12:40:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  If you were a Muslim woman, would you wear a hijab?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Poll
Question: If you were a Muslim women, would you wear a hijab?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 60

Author Topic: If you were a Muslim woman, would you wear a hijab?  (Read 6229 times)
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: September 04, 2016, 09:37:40 PM »

If I were a Muslim woman, I'd be too busy being absolutely beautiful to join this useless forum and answer your inane questions.

That's actually a pretty good answer. Although it also implies that you wouldn't wear one.

Excuse me!? *slap*

Arab and especially Persian women usually have beautiful hair though. Obscuring that with a hijab is pretty wrong and repressive. Not that most Arab and Persian-American women do of course.

I'm not fond of arguments that hijab is oppressive in general (although I also don't buy that it's intrinsically liberating; it strikes me as one of those things that is what you make of it), but at least such arguments tend to be more valid than 'if part of a woman is physically attractive, it's wrong and repressive to cover it'.

Human beauty is an expression of God's goodness, and teaching people that they should be ashamed of their beauty is immoral.

Is that a more valid argument?

Yes, except for the fact that it presupposes that hijabi women are or should be acting out of shame. Surely some are--again, I don't buy the 'hijabi is intrinsically liberating and secretly feminist!' argument either--but it hardly strikes me as fair to claim that all are.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #51 on: September 05, 2016, 03:46:25 AM »

Besides, the idea that human beauty is an expression of God's goodness has very disturbing implications.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #52 on: September 05, 2016, 05:08:51 AM »

Seeing as how there's documentation of writing of the beauty of Persian women going back millenia from all cultures that interacted with Persia I'd say it's rather universally held.

Ancient/medieval travellers always say that, mainly because they spent so long without any woman that anything would look like the most sexy thing ever after a long journey. Heck, they thought dugongs were alluring sirens.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #53 on: September 05, 2016, 10:27:31 AM »

BRTD, your thread is bad, all your posts in it have been bad and you're a really bad progressive. Even worse of one than people like me who aren't even trying that hard. 
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -1.65

« Reply #54 on: September 05, 2016, 03:53:07 PM »
« Edited: September 05, 2016, 03:55:54 PM by Mopsus »

Human beauty is an expression of God's goodness, and teaching people that they should be ashamed of their beauty is immoral.

Is that a more valid argument?

Yes, except for the fact that it presupposes that hijabi women are or should be acting out of shame. Surely some are--again, I don't buy the 'hijabi is intrinsically liberating and secretly feminist!' argument either--but it hardly strikes me as fair to claim that all are.

I'm sure the hijab can serve as a Muslim equivalent to the crucifix or the yarmulke, but the fact that it's only worn by women, and that it's specifically designed to cover parts of women's bodies that man find attractive, leads to me to believe that symbolism is more of a secondary factor.

Besides, the idea that human beauty is an expression of God's goodness has very disturbing implications.

Perhaps... but I can only think of positives.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #55 on: September 05, 2016, 04:33:43 PM »

Really?
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #56 on: September 05, 2016, 04:43:16 PM »

Really?

I suppose that a cynical person could accuse unattractive people of being cursed by heaven, but then one would just have to point out that only good things flow from God.

If a person is physically ugly, it's a punishment for sin (slothfulness, gluttony, lust), or the persecution of Satan.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #57 on: September 05, 2016, 09:06:47 PM »

If a person is physically ugly, it's a punishment for sin (slothfulness, gluttony, lust), or the persecution of Satan.

That's ridiculous.
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #58 on: September 05, 2016, 09:19:24 PM »

That's ridiculous.

The fact that you think so means that you haven't let Satan tempt you into vanity.

+1 for you, my friend.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #59 on: September 05, 2016, 11:44:40 PM »

That's ridiculous.

The fact that you think so means that you haven't let Satan tempt you into vanity.

+1 for you, my friend.

I don't think that's what it means.
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #60 on: September 06, 2016, 06:48:17 AM »

That's ridiculous.

+1 for you, my friend.

I don't think that's what it means.

I was trying to be optimistic.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #61 on: September 06, 2016, 07:00:30 AM »

^ The sage is strong in this one.
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #62 on: September 06, 2016, 12:47:08 PM »

That cuts deep, bro.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #63 on: September 06, 2016, 12:51:18 PM »

Really?

I suppose that a cynical person could accuse unattractive people of being cursed by heaven, but then one would just have to point out that only good things flow from God.

Hmm, interesting that you'd say that.

Does being able to afford to get work done in the name of beauty a sign of the morals of capitalism? Those who produce, the most moral?
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #64 on: September 06, 2016, 03:08:04 PM »

Really?

Hmm, interesting that you'd say that.

Does being able to afford to get work done in the name of beauty a sign of the morals of capitalism? Those who produce, the most moral?

Producing beauty may be humanity's purest moral action, as it brings unequivocal joy into the lives of others. Historically, a certain economic necessity has put a stop to the infinite multiplication of the beautiful, but in an ideal world, "those who produce" would be a synonym for "those who produce beauty"; one of the crimes of capitalism is that it perpetuates an artificial poverty, thereby putting off the realization of such a world. 
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #65 on: September 06, 2016, 09:28:45 PM »

You know, I do recall years ago that Scott (on his original account) said that he's from a mixed marriage and even if he was raised Catholic he would've almost certainly converted to Protestantism later. And no one screamed at him "but that's ridiculous to say, how could you possibly know that?!" sort of things.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #66 on: September 06, 2016, 10:17:40 PM »

You know, I do recall years ago that Scott (on his original account) said that he's from a mixed marriage and even if he was raised Catholic he would've almost certainly converted to Protestantism later. And no one screamed at him "but that's ridiculous to say, how could you possibly know that?!" sort of things.

That's a bit closer to Scott's actual experience than being a Muslim woman is to yours.
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #67 on: January 29, 2021, 07:12:52 PM »

This is the weirdest BRTD thread.
WD
Western Democrat
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -0.35

« Reply #68 on: January 29, 2021, 07:35:05 PM »

I think a better question would be: “Why was this thread made in the first place?”
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #69 on: January 29, 2021, 07:37:05 PM »

I think a better question would be: “Why was this thread made in the first place?”

Is it really much different than the countless "If you lived in *different country* what party would you vote for threads?
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #70 on: January 29, 2021, 07:47:23 PM »

Is it really much different than the countless "If you lived in *different country* what party would you vote for threads?
yes
beaver2.0
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -0.52

P P

« Reply #71 on: January 29, 2021, 07:48:57 PM »

I genuinely have no idea.  If I lived in a country where it was done, perhaps I would but since I am not in that situation and have never been in it I cannot give any good answer to this question.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #72 on: January 29, 2021, 07:49:31 PM »

I definitely would.

Btw, you had a great display name.
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #73 on: January 29, 2021, 07:50:17 PM »

Gosh, if only you guys had Dule's BRTD thread post back in the day. It would have made your lives so much better.
Farmlands
Portugal

Political Matrix
E: 0.77, S: -0.14

« Reply #74 on: January 29, 2021, 08:56:42 PM »

Assuming I still lived in my country, where there's no requirement for it, then probably, on occasion. For one, it still doesn't carry the same heavily oppresive connotations of the Burqa in many parts of the world.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies