If you were a Muslim woman, would you wear a hijab? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 06:32:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  If you were a Muslim woman, would you wear a hijab? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: If you were a Muslim women, would you wear a hijab?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 60

Author Topic: If you were a Muslim woman, would you wear a hijab?  (Read 6328 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« on: August 30, 2016, 11:22:43 PM »
« edited: August 31, 2016, 03:16:35 AM by Cathcon »

Just imagine you live where you do now and are from a really integrated and assimilated Muslim family and a woman.

I wouldn't obviously. But of course I would've converted to Christianity anyway...
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2016, 11:56:13 PM »

What kind of a question is that? If you were a Jewish man, would you eat ham? How should I know? I'm not a Jewish man or a Muslim woman. 

Well in my case I can answer yes, since one of my core principles is not caring about my "culture" or holding any reverence for my heritage and background.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2016, 12:09:12 AM »

Also I'll point out that I've seen pictures and videos from shows of my music in Turkey, and no women are wearing hijabs there. So it's safe to assume people with my musical taste don't ever wear it.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2016, 07:22:34 AM »

I bet most gay posters would say they'd still be gay regardless of what type of family they were born into.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2016, 10:29:27 PM »

OK a few points:

-As stated, I have some deeply held principles about how I don't care about my culture or heritage and just want to do things my way. That's something that would likely be consistent no matter how I was raised (also why I know I wouldn't follow Jewish rules if I was born Jewish, barely any Jews in the region here do, so why would I of all people be the exception?)
-I actually converted to my current religious affiliation, I wasn't born into it. So me converting to it from something else isn't a stretch.
-I grew up in a conservative part of North Dakota and still ended up "all liberal all the time". So I'm not a product of my environment in that sense.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2016, 10:52:29 PM »

That's true yes, but also why I added the caveat of being from a very assimilated family.

Honestly I think the main reason I have such difficulty taking talk of how there's way you can know seriously is because my anecdotal personal experience has shown some things people act like are widespread rules here are nonsense. Things like that no one EVER leaves Catholicism because the cultural ties are too strong or even that it's less common than for other Christian denominations or that all ethnic Jews care a lot about the culture and practices even the secular ones. Because not only are those things not even remotely true amongst my social circles and my entire life, they are so far off I was pretty shocked to hear that anyone actually thinks that way...
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2016, 12:29:51 AM »

If I were a Muslim woman, I'd be too busy being absolutely beautiful to join this useless forum and answer your inane questions.

That's actually a pretty good answer. Although it also implies that you wouldn't wear one.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2016, 12:57:18 AM »

If I were a Muslim woman, I'd be too busy being absolutely beautiful to join this useless forum and answer your inane questions.

That's actually a pretty good answer. Although it also implies that you wouldn't wear one.

Excuse me!? *slap*

Arab and especially Persian women usually have beautiful hair though. Obscuring that with a hijab is pretty wrong and repressive. Not that most Arab and Persian-American women do of course.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2016, 07:09:38 PM »

Seeing as how there's documentation of writing of the beauty of Persian women going back millenia from all cultures that interacted with Persia I'd say it's rather universally held.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2016, 09:28:45 PM »

You know, I do recall years ago that Scott (on his original account) said that he's from a mixed marriage and even if he was raised Catholic he would've almost certainly converted to Protestantism later. And no one screamed at him "but that's ridiculous to say, how could you possibly know that?!" sort of things.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2021, 07:37:05 PM »

I think a better question would be: “Why was this thread made in the first place?”

Is it really much different than the countless "If you lived in *different country* what party would you vote for threads?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies