If you were a Muslim woman, would you wear a hijab? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 07:13:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  If you were a Muslim woman, would you wear a hijab? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: If you were a Muslim women, would you wear a hijab?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 60

Author Topic: If you were a Muslim woman, would you wear a hijab?  (Read 6332 times)
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« on: August 31, 2016, 04:22:33 AM »

What kind of a question is that? If you were a Jewish man, would you eat ham? How should I know? I'm not a Jewish man or a Muslim woman. 

Yeah, this is ridiculous even by BRTD standards.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2016, 05:58:39 AM »

To answer your question, I honestly don't know--not because I'm not willing to engage the question or imagine how my basic personality might shake out in a different environment, because I very much am willing to do those things, but because I don't know how my reasons for my actual religious views and tastes would apply to that situation.

The point in my response (and, I assume, in those of Xahar, Crabcake and others) was to say that there is no such thing as a "basic personality" independent from one's life experiences and (possibly, to a limited extent) one's genetics. Thus, for me, the impact of having been raised as a White male in a vaguely Catholic household between Italy and France is as much an integral part of my basic personality as the attitude I'd take toward any cultural context I could have been raised into.

That's not to say thinking about these hypotheticals is never worthwhile. It's just that the change in life experience that BRTD is describing is so drastic that it would be hard for me to identify what part of me would stay the same. At the very least, he should have been more specific in that respect.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2016, 03:46:25 AM »

Besides, the idea that human beauty is an expression of God's goodness has very disturbing implications.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2016, 07:00:30 AM »

^ The sage is strong in this one.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length