If you were a Muslim woman, would you wear a hijab? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 08:44:02 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  If you were a Muslim woman, would you wear a hijab? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: If you were a Muslim women, would you wear a hijab?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 60

Author Topic: If you were a Muslim woman, would you wear a hijab?  (Read 6312 times)
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« on: August 31, 2016, 03:17:04 AM »

Title modified for grammatical purposes.

Thanks,
Cathcon
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2016, 12:20:35 AM »

If I were a Muslim woman, I'd be too busy being absolutely beautiful to join this useless forum and answer your inane questions.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2016, 12:36:30 AM »

If I were a Muslim woman, I'd be too busy being absolutely beautiful to join this useless forum and answer your inane questions.

That's actually a pretty good answer. Although it also implies that you wouldn't wear one.

Excuse me!? *slap*
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2016, 10:39:30 AM »

That's actually a pretty good answer. Although it also implies that you wouldn't wear one.

Excuse me!? *slap*

Arab and especially Persian women usually have beautiful hair though. Obscuring that with a hijab is pretty wrong and repressive. Not that most Arab and Persian-American women do of course.

Stepping *out* of character for a second: there's no intrinsic value in beauty or universal for such. Moreover, you minimize individual agency by assuming that this system in place is only one of men telling women to follow these rules.

Stepping back *into* character, I, as a beautiful Persian woman, can choose what standards my appearance and dress shall be judged by, and they certainly won't be yours!
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2016, 07:01:25 PM »

Excuse me!? *slap*

Arab and especially Persian women usually have beautiful hair though. Obscuring that with a hijab is pretty wrong and repressive. Not that most Arab and Persian-American women do of course.

I'm not fond of arguments that hijab is oppressive in general (although I also don't buy that it's intrinsically liberating; it strikes me as one of those things that is what you make of it), but at least such arguments tend to be more valid than 'if part of a woman is physically attractive, it's wrong and repressive to cover it'.

Human beauty is an expression of God's goodness, and teaching people that they should be ashamed of their beauty is immoral.

Is that a more valid argument?

The ridiculous relativity of "beauty", I'd think, would make this claim invalid.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2016, 04:33:43 PM »

Besides, the idea that human beauty is an expression of God's goodness has very disturbing implications.

Perhaps... but I can only think of positives.

Really?
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2021, 08:59:29 PM »

As for my actual answer to the question, they're fashionable as all get-out, so on occasion I'm sure I'd sport one.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies