How religious are you?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 10:46:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  How religious are you?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Are you Religious?
Extremely

Very

Somewhat

Not Really

No

I'm Spiritual not Religious

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 43

Author Topic: How religious are you?  (Read 2084 times)
Young Conservative
youngconservative
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 31, 2016, 09:54:50 PM »

Which choice best fits you?
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2016, 10:58:11 PM »

What's the difference between 'no' and 'not really'?  Can you define these terms for us?
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2016, 05:50:27 AM »

What's the difference between 'no' and 'not really' 'extremely' and 'devout'?  Can you define these terms for us?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2016, 06:16:00 AM »

I'm in a weird spot because, while I don't have any sort of faith, I'm growing increasingly fond of some philosophical systems derived from religion. Is there a name for this?

Voted no.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2016, 06:21:28 AM »

Very religious
Lachi
lok1999
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -1.06, S: -3.02

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2016, 06:41:40 AM »

Atheist
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2016, 07:14:08 AM »

I'm in a weird spot because, while I don't have any sort of faith, I'm growing increasingly fond of some philosophical systems derived from religion. Is there a name for this?

Voted no.
At the risk of triggering BRTD, wouldn't this be an aspect of "cultural Catholicism" (or any other religion)? Tongue

Answered "somewhat", but I guess I'm somewhere between "somewhat" and "very".
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2016, 07:20:54 AM »

Voted no.

Godfearer, was a term applied pre-Christ to Gentiles who liked Jewish morality and monotheism, and sometimes went to synagogue, but never actually joined the religion. That might be a good term for your views.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2016, 07:57:51 AM »

Not. I'm philosophical though, pensive and reflective. My family are drifting away, mostly, from the last vestiges of Catholicism so even the social aspects of that are diminishing.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2016, 08:38:07 AM »
« Edited: September 01, 2016, 09:03:56 AM by I did not see L.A. »

At the risk of triggering BRTD, wouldn't this be an aspect of "cultural Catholicism" (or any other religion)? Tongue

In a way, yes (I'd be at least somewhat "culturally Catholic" and working my way toward some degree of "cultural Orthodoxy" and "cultural Protestantism" and hoping that some day I might find the time gain some basic notions of "cultural Judaism", "cultural Buddhism" and "cultural Hinduism" Tongue), but I don't think it's how most Americans would think of that term.

Godfearer, was a term applied pre-Christ to Gentiles who liked Jewish morality and monotheism, and sometimes went to synagogue, but never actually joined the religion. That might be a good term for your views.

That's very interesting. I had no idea such people existed in significant numbers.

The term itself kind of reminds of Pascal's wager ante litteram though, doesn't it? Pascal's wager is not one of the Christian ideas I find of much interest.
LLR
LongLiveRock
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2016, 09:03:01 AM »

Somewhat
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2016, 11:15:01 AM »

That's very interesting. I had no idea such people existed in significant numbers.

I felt the same way when I discovered it. They died out pretty quickly after the resurrection though, as they made up much of Christianity's first converts.

The term itself kind of reminds of Pascal's wager ante litteram though, doesn't it? Pascal's wager is not one of the Christian ideas I find of much interest.

It sounds like it, but I'm not so sure. What was the state of Jewish views of the afterlife at the time? It wouldn't really apply if they believed mainly in Sheol, since Sheol doesn't really discriminate Tongue That's beyond my knowledge though.

I never really dealt with Pascal's wager tbh. It's impossible under Reformed sotieriology anyway so I never really thought about it.
Vern
vern1988
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.30, S: -0.70

P P P

« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2016, 01:32:57 PM »

I'm not religious at all. I hate religious acts. I have a relationship with Jesus and God, I do what I do not because of religion but because of my love for them.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2016, 01:41:38 PM »

In between extremely and very. Voted extremely.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2016, 03:27:46 PM »

It sounds like it, but I'm not so sure. What was the state of Jewish views of the afterlife at the time? It wouldn't really apply if they believed mainly in Sheol, since Sheol doesn't really discriminate Tongue That's beyond my knowledge though.

I'm pretty sure I know far less than you do about pre-Christ Judaism, but didn't it already espouse the belief in a Final Judgement that would bring eternal blessing to the virtuous and eternal damnation to the impious? If so, Sheol would be seen as a temporary condition and not the real point of the afterlife, wouldn't it?

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I mean, Pascal's wager is incompatible with any remotely rigorous Christian soteriology (and I'm sure our Christian posters of any denomination would agree), but the fact that Reformed thought rejects it so categorically is certainly a point in its favor. Though as you know I have fundamental issues with it.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2016, 03:33:43 PM »

Doesn't "extremely religious" imply... well, extremism? That's why I voted "very religious" instead of "extremely religious".
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2016, 03:40:56 PM »

Doesn't "extremely religious" imply... well, extremism? That's why I voted "very religious" instead of "extremely religious".
I read that as 'extremely devout'. No connection to those who contort my faith.
What made me iffy was the fact I am inconsistent with some aspects. For instance, I don't read the Quran every day.
Tartarus Sauce
United States

« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2016, 04:38:53 PM »

Neither spiritual nor religious, atheist.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2016, 04:46:49 PM »

Extremely Religious; Somewhat (maybe Not Very??) Spiritual. Split the difference and call it Very.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2016, 07:14:56 PM »

I'm not
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2016, 08:31:02 PM »

I voted very.

I'm not religious at all. I hate religious acts. I have a relationship with Jesus and God, I do what I do not because of religion but because of my love for them.

Roll Eyes
Lexii, harbinger of chaos and sexual anarchy
Alex
Junior Chimp
Argentina

« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2016, 08:49:50 AM »

Neither spiritual nor religious, atheist.
NerdyBohemian
United States

« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2016, 09:44:49 AM »

Atheist who considers himself culturally Roman Catholic. I wear a saint medal, have religious art and celebrate religious holidays, goes to mass on holidays and when a mass is offered to deceased relatives but I do not believe.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2016, 02:48:00 PM »

AGNOSTIC, certainly spiritual. Tragedies happen to all of us and I am glad the universe have gotten me past them.  But, the very nature of them of having happened to me calls into question the existence of a superior being. 

I prefer to believe in 'what goes around comes around'
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2016, 07:12:12 AM »
« Edited: September 03, 2016, 07:21:42 AM by Signora Ophelia Maraschina, Mafia courtesan »

Sheol was a very widespread belief, most common among the Sadducees. Other beliefs that also appeared included resurrection at the eschaton among the Pharisees (the very very earliest Christians now often being classified as a subsect of Pharisees in historiography of the early Church) and Neoplatonic-style immortality of the soul among the Essenes.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies