Ranking of Contenders for 2008
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 10:40:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  Ranking of Contenders for 2008
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Ranking of Contenders for 2008  (Read 570 times)
George W. Hobbes
Mr. Hobbes

Political Matrix
E: -0.38, S: 1.03

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 26, 2005, 03:48:11 PM »

My picks for the nomination.

Democrats

1. Senator Christopher Matthews
Ever since Matthews' election to Congress in 1974, he's been a thorn in the side of the Democratic Establishment, but what with President Trump's financial scandals and massive unpopularity following his landslide loss in 2000 and Governor Brown's crushing defeat in 2004, look for the Pennsylvania maverick to gain rapidly in the polls and steal the New Hampshire primary.

2. Governor Bill Watterson
The former political cartoonist turned political savior for Ohio would be a virtual lock for the Presidential nod if he would just be more of a showboat.  One of the best hardball players and one of the few idealists to actually serve in the political arena, Watterson just isn't big on going out and campaigning.  I'm praying for a draft movement to take this environmentalist radical centrist to the White House.

3. Senator Gary Hartpence
A reformist during the 1980's, Senator Hartpence of Colorado has drifted more and more to the left, situating him well with the Trump wing of the Democratic Party.  His far-left attitude is likely to upset most Democrats, who are aching to get back into the White House for the first time since then NYC Mayor Trump defeated Senator John Edward Bush of Florida in 1996.

Republicans
1. Senator Bruce Herschelsohn
Ever since Herschelsohn whipped San Francisco Mayor Diane Fienstein in the 1992 Senate race, Herschelsohn has emerged as a creative and innovative conservative.  His calls for a new international organization to replace the UN and to have Congress declare war against the "Nation of Terrorism" may well be the ticket to a GOP victory.

2. Governor Dan Quayle
A respected former Indiana senator who parlayed his boyish charm and rock-ribbed conservatism into capturing the governor's chair from Evan Bayh in 1992, Governor Quayle has gotten beyond his more awkward political moments (such as misspelling President du Pont's name to a third-grade class in 1989) and along with chief of staff William Kristol has made Indiana an economic powerhouse.

3. Congressman John F. Kennedy, Jr.
Son of a Harvard professor and grandson of a bootlegger, John Kennedy has become a conservative hero for New York Republicans.  His only problem is a lack of political experience, but I'd say that could be worked out with two terms as a Vice-President under his belt.

My guess for the match-up:
Bruce Herschelsohn/John Kennedy (R) v. Chris Matthews/Ron Kirk (D)

Best (Yet, Realistic) Case for Republicans

Bruce Herschelsohn/John Kennedy (R) v. Gary Hartpence/Patrick Toomey (D)

Best (Yet, Realistic) Case for Democrats

Dan Quayle/Zell Miller (R) v. Bill Watterson/Christopher Matthews (D)

ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2005, 03:58:45 PM »

Do you see any conceivable dituation in which the Democrats could win Indiana?  Dare I say, Vermont Wink (lol, I'd bet Matthews/Hartpence vs. McCain/Quayle would have Dems winning Vermont.  That Arizona State Senator is such a kook; he seems to run every year!)

How about the Republicans winning Virginia, or even *scoff scoff* Colorado!
George W. Hobbes
Mr. Hobbes

Political Matrix
E: -0.38, S: 1.03

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2005, 04:11:27 PM »

Virginia's rock-solid Democrat, unfortunately.  Only du Pont's landslide in 1992 caused Virginia to turn blue.

The Democrats could win Indiana with a concentrated effort and a pretty bad GOP ticket.

If John "The Maverick" McCain and all of his "Star Trek" lines ("I feel like Spock running away from the Klingons!") I think Indiana would vote over 70 percent against that nut.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies