Opinion of "_______ is so dumb, it must be a joke/trolling" analysis
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:28:50 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Opinion of "_______ is so dumb, it must be a joke/trolling" analysis
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: -skip-
Freedom Analysis

Horrible Analysis

Both

Neither

Mensch Analysis (edgy)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 12

Author Topic: Opinion of "_______ is so dumb, it must be a joke/trolling" analysis  (Read 354 times)
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 01, 2016, 06:06:46 PM »

It seems whenever anyone on this forum says something really boneheaded or idiotic, the reaction of many is to dismiss it as "trolling." Moreover, users who regularly say incredibly stupid things must just be trolls who are messing with us. A lot of people even apply this logic to Trump, saying that there's no way he's delusional enough to believe the things that he says, and that he has to be a Democratic plant.

While this might be true in some circumstances, I think people are too quick to assume this. There is a lot of ignorance in America (and other countries as well, if we're being honest), and I think the assumption that if someone says something which we consider blatantly false or idiotic that they must be messing with us is often erroneous. In fact, I think it's almost a defense mechanism for some. Some people don't want to believe that anyone could really be as ignorant as they appear to be, and feel more comfortable if they convince themselves that it's all a ruse.

But what if it isn't? What if some of the "trolls" on this site actually do believe what they say, and aren't just saying things to get a reaction. Should we all be more concerned about ignorance, and not so quick to dismiss it as fake?

Anyway, for me, this kind of analysis always depends on context. HA if overused.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2016, 06:21:14 PM »

It's pretty easy for an otherwise rational person to get sidetracked into some fairly egregious errors, if by no other means than failing to consider other perspectives.

Some of the dumb stuff you hear is trolling, though I don't think it is terribly constructive to dismiss it as such. To engage in more constructive conduct would however imply an unlimited amount of time to deal with bizarre notions. Of course, most of us do not have the time or the patience for such exercises.

As such, I suspect that "X must be trolling" is not so much an intelligent analysis of X as it is a rational response to being faced with a stimulus for which the cost-benefit analysis of response is too poor to merit devoting one's time. As such I voted "Both".
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2016, 06:50:19 PM »

For those that get pretty bad numbers, it has to suck to see a large number of people not liking you. If someone created an opinion poll of me and a majority of yous rated HP, I'd probably feel pretty bad. It would be hard to stop wondering just how many people hate me on/offline, yet don't really say anything that would hint at such.

That is basically why I don't vote in polls when I don't particularly like that person. I don't feel the need or desire to let everyone I don't like know that I don't like them.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies