Trump and assimilated Hispanics
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 12:41:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Trump and assimilated Hispanics
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Trump and assimilated Hispanics  (Read 1784 times)
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 01, 2016, 08:16:09 PM »

"Gallup found that while Hillary Clinton leads Donald Trump 87 percent to 13 percent among foreign-born Hispanics, she leads Trump by a less-imposing 43 to 29 margin among U.S.-born Hispanics. The Pew Research Center has found that while Hispanics who primarily speak English are split 48–41 in favor of Clinton, those who are bilingual or who primarily speak Spanish favor Clinton by 80 percent to 11 percent."

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/politics/2016/09/donald_trump_s_support_for_immigration_restriction_is_terrible_for_the_immigration.html

These numbers are incredible. Firstly because Trump does so well among assimilated Hispanics. Secondly, because it shows just how few Hispanics are assimilated.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2016, 08:21:01 PM »

"Gallup found that while Hillary Clinton leads Donald Trump 87 percent to 13 percent among foreign-born Hispanics, she leads Trump by a less-imposing 43 to 29 margin among U.S.-born Hispanics. The Pew Research Center has found that while Hispanics who primarily speak English are split 48–41 in favor of Clinton, those who are bilingual or who primarily speak Spanish favor Clinton by 80 percent to 11 percent."

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/politics/2016/09/donald_trump_s_support_for_immigration_restriction_is_terrible_for_the_immigration.html

These numbers are incredible. Firstly because Trump does so well among assimilated Hispanics. Secondly, because it shows just how few Hispanics are assimilated.

Assimilated Hispanics do not, for the most part, identify as Hispanics (except, when it is useful for affirmative action/scholarship/similar purposes). "Hispanic" is not an attractive social status in the Anglo society. In fact, there are many papers that have identified this as an issue: any paper that uses self-identification as a Hispanic without accounting for this phenomenon, will underestimate the speed with which Hispanics assimilate, learn English, etc. By the third generation, with exception of long-term concentrated communities (like the Rio Grande valley, etc.), most people of Hispanic origin are self-identified Anglos.
Erich Maria Remarque
LittleBigPlanet
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2016, 08:27:10 PM »

So 30% of assimilated Hispanics are racists/fascists according to Democrats here? Huh
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2016, 11:44:56 PM »

So 30% of assimilated Hispanics are racists/fascists according to Democrats here? Huh
If these numbers are accurate, yeah.
Seriously?
United States

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2016, 11:56:18 PM »

LOL
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2016, 07:46:06 AM »
« Edited: September 02, 2016, 07:49:30 AM by Spicy Purrito »

I am guessing after a while, they just see themselves the way English/German people on the East Coast with distant Cherokee ancestry see themselves. Except they are Spanish/English/German with distant Aztec/Mayan ancestry. There's nothing wrong with marrying upward and inward into society. I think  we all agree that is the goal. And I think that was the narrative of how Bush/Rove Republicans were doing very well and the Democrats would eventually fade and only really be a force at the local/regional level would be because this would happen. That could be the narrative again if Trump wins. However, it seems that even assimilated Hispanics aren't totally voting like white Non-Hispanics.

The story behind demography driving destiny might be a function of how 1) how quickly those disadvantage are getting what they need 2) how they vote once they get into the middle and 3) how many newcomers there are, and of course 4) how the parties will adapt.

Maybe in a more Rovian future, Democrats will push to the center and advocate for small patch 50-state campaigned on economic issues (SCHIP for families that make less than 80K and cutting grocery taxes and tolls) and focus on the cultural needs of middle class and above educated voters instead of social democracy and SJW/Neo-Civil Rights activism.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2016, 09:48:35 AM »

Yeah, but you can't avoid the real question here. Are those Hispanics are racists or just dumb?

I mean why vote for Führer Trump? And it should be pretty damn difficult for them to confess that they vote for Trump, because as ag said
I am pretty sure even US-born Mexicans today feel their masculinity violated by Trump.
so Shy Trump effect might be high, huh? (Yeah, I know that Hispanics ≠ Mexicans, but still)...

"Hispanic" is a very broad label and it could cover many different people for many different reasons, and each individual
might have varying degrees of "otherness" from basically none to someone who is a big target for discrimination.
Erich Maria Remarque
LittleBigPlanet
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2016, 10:00:10 AM »

Yeah, but you can't avoid the real question here. Are those Hispanics are racists or just dumb?

I mean why vote for Führer Trump? And it should be pretty damn difficult for them to confess that they vote for Trump, because as ag said
I am pretty sure even US-born Mexicans today feel their masculinity violated by Trump.
so Shy Trump effect might be high, huh? (Yeah, I know that Hispanics ≠ Mexicans, but still)...
"Hispanic" is a very broad label and it could cover many different people for many different reasons, and each individual
might have varying degrees of "otherness" from basically none to someone who is a big target for discrimination.

And your point is..?

That those hispanics who vote Trump are not "true" Hispanics? That they are sort of Uncle Toms that "betray" "true" Hispanics by voting Trump?

And what the hell has it to do with discrimination Huh You, Dems, see racists, discrimination and Fuhrer in each topic/statement/poll...
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2016, 10:49:49 AM »

And your point is..?

That those hispanics who vote Trump are not "true" Hispanics? That they are sort of Uncle Toms that "betray" "true" Hispanics by voting Trump?

And what the hell has it to do with discrimination Huh You, Dems, see racists, discrimination and Fuhrer in each topic/statement/poll...
I was just pointing out that there are "Hispanics" like Cruz and "Hispanics" like the stereotypical undocumented. I don't think it os a very good term when talking Civil Rights.

There's obviously "othering" going on. It seems that Trump's and his supporter's biggest defense is that to point it out is an act of singling them out. That makes pointing out that people are being discriminating against as racist.

Reginald
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2016, 10:53:49 AM »

The Gallup numbers are favorability numbers, and not voter preference. This is blatantly obvious from the page. Nice going, Slate.
Erich Maria Remarque
LittleBigPlanet
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2016, 10:56:14 AM »

Reginald
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2016, 11:23:30 AM »

Tell that to Reihan Salam.

Do bilingual and Spanish-speaking Hispanics outnumber English-speaking Hispanics by so much?

The 2010-14 ACS suggests over half of Hispanic Americans are bilingual. A quarter speak only English, and about another quarter either speak only Spanish, or speak English "not well." Among the Hispanic electorate, these proportions are probably skewed a little more in favor of English-speakers, though the 43% figure found by Pew seems rather high (but who knows).
Taco Truck 🚚
Schadenfreude
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2016, 12:21:52 PM »

What would you call slaves who fought on the side of the Confederacy?  Was the fact that there were slaves who fought on the side of the Confederacy mean slavery was totally okay and Confederate soldiers should be routinely honored everywhere?

Assimilated Hispanics do not, for the most part, identify as Hispanics (except, when it is useful for affirmative action/scholarship/similar purposes). "Hispanic" is not an attractive social status in the Anglo society. In fact, there are many papers that have identified this as an issue: any paper that uses self-identification as a Hispanic without accounting for this phenomenon, will underestimate the speed with which Hispanics assimilate, learn English, etc. By the third generation, with exception of long-term concentrated communities (like the Rio Grande valley, etc.), most people of Hispanic origin are self-identified Anglos.

Piyush hates it when people call him Indian.

Nimrata Randhawa is a "white" Methodist apparently.

I don't know the exact number of Hispanic Piyush and Nimratas out there but obviously there is great pressure for people to run away from their culture and ethnicity as fast as possible in order to grab wealth and power in a hostile and unwelcoming landscape.

I personally have grave doubts that the Hispanification of America is going to lead to a permanent Democratic presidency.  Living as a minority or other sucks.  If a fair skin Mexican woman marries a fair skinned American male with a non Spanish last name I see little incentive for their progeny to identify as Hispanic.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2016, 02:31:07 PM »

I work with a Hispanic woman whose family has been in California since the time it was a part of Mexico and her family owns a "rancho" from those days. They are not Catholic, but Pentecostal. She is actually a youth pastor and heavily involved in the church. She is the type of Hispanic voter the Republican party really needs to vote for them and people like her did vote Republican in 2004. She doesn't speak Spanish and she is now concerned if Trump wins and she is forced to leave for Mexico what she will do. While that may be a little hyperbolic, it really encapsulates the problems Republicans have with Hispanics right now. I do not trust the polls showing greater than 20% of Hispanics voting for Trump.
Erich Maria Remarque
LittleBigPlanet
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2016, 02:35:57 PM »

^^^^^

If a poll shows Trump >20% among hispanics, it is clearly a fascist alt right poll!
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2016, 02:38:34 PM »

^^^^^

If a poll shows Trump >20% among hispanics, it is clearly a fascist alt right poll!

We will just have to wait and see, won't we? Or maybe it's those Asians causing those high non-white numbers for Trump?
Taco Truck 🚚
Schadenfreude
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2016, 02:38:48 PM »

I work with a Hispanic woman whose family has been in California since the time it was a part of Mexico and her family owns a "rancho" from those days. They are not Catholic, but Pentecostal. She is actually a youth pastor and heavily involved in the church. She is the type of Hispanic voter the Republican party really needs to vote for them and people like her did vote Republican in 2004. She doesn't speak Spanish and she is now concerned if Trump wins and she is forced to leave for Mexico what she will do. While that may be a little hyperbolic, it really encapsulates the problems Republicans have with Hispanics right now. I do not trust the polls showing greater than 20% of Hispanics voting for Trump.

Are you making this up?
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2016, 02:39:46 PM »
« Edited: September 02, 2016, 02:41:28 PM by Sbane »

^^^^^

We will just have to wait and see, won't we? Or maybe it's those Asians causing those high non-white numbers for Trump? Probably those Filipinos.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2016, 02:40:43 PM »

Are you making this up?

I am seriously not. She literally is afraid of being sent back to Mexico by Trump. She is also one of those non-voter types who got the sh**t scared out of her by Trump. She doesn't know much about politics or government. But I bet she votes this year......
Erich Maria Remarque
LittleBigPlanet
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2016, 02:43:09 PM »

Are you making this up?
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2016, 02:47:34 PM »

Already answered that question, fat octopus.
Taco Truck 🚚
Schadenfreude
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2016, 02:52:51 PM »

Are you making this up?

I am seriously not. She literally is afraid of being sent back to Mexico by Trump. She is also one of those non-voter types who got the sh**t scared out of her by Trump. She doesn't know much about politics or government. But I bet she votes this year......

I don't even know who to blame for that.  As an adult who's family has lived in a particular country for generations you really should have some idea of what your status is.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2016, 02:58:28 PM »

Are you making this up?

I don't even know who to blame for that.  As an adult who's family has lived in a particular country for generations you really should have some idea of what your status is.

I think the fear is that the deportation force won't "discriminate" when it comes to rounding up the browns. She is aware she is a US citizen.....Obviously you are pretty white since you don't get at a visceral level why non-whites are so afraid of Trump. It's not just disagreeing with his policies or his personality. Non-whites are afraid of what exactly he may be capable of.
Erich Maria Remarque
LittleBigPlanet
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2016, 02:59:29 PM »

Are you making this up?

You have indirectly called her stupid. #stupidForHillary2016
Taco Truck 🚚
Schadenfreude
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2016, 03:09:38 PM »

Are you making this up?

I think the fear is that the deportation force won't "discriminate" when it comes to rounding up the browns. She is aware she is a US citizen.....Obviously you are pretty white since you don't get at a visceral level why non-whites are so afraid of Trump. It's not just disagreeing with his policies or his personality. Non-whites are afraid of what exactly he may be capable of.

I'm not so sure about that.  I've seen plenty of white people waving their "keep your government hands off my medicare" signs.  And of course let us not forget the white people who think Obama is going to take all their guns away.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies