How Religious are you (Revised)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 09:33:30 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  How Religious are you (Revised)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Are you Religious?
Yes. I'm Devout.

Yes. Somewhat.

No, not Really.

No, Not at all.

I'm spiritual, not religious.

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 102

Author Topic: How Religious are you (Revised)  (Read 2985 times)
Young Conservative
youngconservative
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 01, 2016, 10:08:46 PM »

Revised and improved
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2016, 09:33:34 AM »

not really
White Trash
Southern Gothic
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2016, 09:35:52 AM »

Yes, somewhat. I attend Mass once a month and pray only on occasion.
Lachi
lok1999
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -1.06, S: -3.02

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2016, 05:36:41 PM »

Again, Athiest.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2016, 05:56:33 PM »

Devout, although that word may have a different meaning to me than to others.
Lexii, harbinger of chaos and sexual anarchy
Alex
Junior Chimp
Argentina

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2016, 06:59:42 PM »

Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2016, 09:26:58 PM »

A mix of options 3 and 5, but mostly 3.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2016, 07:15:10 PM »

Somewhat.
user12345
wifikitten
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2016, 11:21:30 PM »

Attend church 3 times a month, go to a Christian school, pray daily, voted somewhat.
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2016, 10:24:42 AM »

Yes, somewhere between somewhat and devout. I am devout, but I am also lazy and forgetful.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2016, 07:00:51 PM »

I'm devout to my beliefs, but I'm not a fan of organized religion, so I put "somewhat."
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2016, 10:35:08 AM »

Not really. I think religion can teach some values, but have reservations about the church as an institution (or mosques in my case). I do, however, strongly believe in science and the evolution. I don't follow religious traditions that much since I am an adult.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2016, 01:35:43 PM »

Eh, sounds cliche, but this is a topic I'm especially weary of labels with.  I believe in a higher power, and I've really enjoyed my personal journey of examining whether or not this higher intelligence I'm pretty sure I believe exists can jive with the story of Christ.  I feel a personal connection to Lutheranism.  I go to church on Christmas Eve and Easter, largely out of family tradition, but I do feel good after going.

ExtremeRepublican would probably call me an atheist, and bedstbuy or whatever would probably find me indistinguishable from the other non-atheists, and I'm fine with that spot on the spectrum.

I answered "Yes, somewhat."  All I'm sure of is that I'm not an atheist and that I've felt an indescribable attachment to the idea of a personal God that goes beyond "it feels good to believe," and I'm more than willing to explore that throughout my life.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2016, 06:50:25 AM »

I don't know, honestly. I feel like I'm in some sort of religious/spiritual crisis in my life. I've never been religious, but I always sort of had a tentative belief in God (i.e. agnostic, but leaning more towards theism). I'm at a point in my life right now where literally everything is going wrong. Praying to God has accomplished nothing and everything keeps getting worse. I cannot and will not believe in that sort of God. I'm far closer to atheism now than ever.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2016, 03:31:27 PM »
« Edited: September 18, 2016, 08:40:35 PM by Green Line »

I've really been struggling with my religion in the past couple of weeks or months.  I really, really want to believe.  It gives me comfort to believe in God, but lately I've been thinking about it a lot and I'm just not buying the idea of Heaven and Hell and all that.  I think there must be something that created us, like a higher power, but Im not sure if its something that cares enough to give us an afterlife and I don't think I'm ever going to find out anyway.

I still identify as Catholic, but it's been difficult lately.  I'm hoping in the next couple months to really get serious about my faith and reconnect.  I dont try to to think about it a lot because it brings me down, and I'm generally a happy person.
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2016, 03:57:16 PM »

It's too bad that in the US there are so few alternatives to Christianity.

Overall I would say no. Any of the last three options could perhaps apply to me but I will vote "no, not really".
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2016, 07:58:55 PM »

Somewhat.

JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2016, 08:31:48 AM »

No, not at all.

My family was from a Protestant background, but I've only been to church a handful of times and there was virtually no religiosity at home. I've read some of the Bible when I tried to learn about Christianity as I explored my spirituality a couple years ago, but it never really "clicked" with me. So, I've never had any sort of religious experience, never pray, don't really believe in any higher power, and, honestly, find even common Christian religious practices pretty foreign. Personally, I quite like the beauty of religiously inspired art, architecture, holidays, traditions, and many of its moral teachings, but aside from that, I find it rather pointless.

As for spirituality, I don't have much of an opinion on that. I've never had any spiritual experiences, but I don't simply dismiss the alleged experiences of others. It's quite likely that there is some higher plane of existence, but I don't know anything about it and am pretty much indifferent to it.
Cruzcrew
Paleocon
United States

« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2016, 09:08:16 PM »

Devout. I attend church weekly and pray daily.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2016, 09:33:33 PM »

Devout. I attend church weekly and pray daily.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2016, 10:45:57 PM »

I don't want to self-describe as 'devout' because my inner spiritual life is actually kind of a listless mess a lot of the time, but I go to church weekly, pray daily, and am getting a master's in theology.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2016, 11:43:33 PM »

I have nothing against people who believe, but I do not.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2016, 12:45:00 AM »

I am probably somewhere in between the "Devout" and "Somewhat" Options. I go to church close to weekly, pray/read the word at least fairly regularly, and participate in organized religion in College, but I have no intention of ever becoming a pastor or permanent missionary, nor do I consider myself evangelical. Also, while I don't personally see my old-earth beliefs or support for female pastors as anything that makes me a "weaker" christian, I know there are those who would think otherwise.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2016, 07:58:44 PM »

Not at all.
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2017, 02:41:33 AM »
« Edited: January 13, 2017, 02:47:40 AM by SunriseAroundTheWorld »

Somewhat, I guess. I'm not comfortable calling myself religious in any sense of the term because there are many more people who have done more to call themselves religious.

I hold most major Jewish holidays, and I strongly believe in Rabbinic Judaism (and by default oppose other forms of Judaism, say Karaite Judaism and other forms that oppose Oral Torah as a major aspect of Judaism).

However, I am not observant in most cases. I recently started wrapping tefillin every day that I am supposed too. Before that I did it a few times a month for about 4 years.

I stopped mixing meat and diary for major meals recently. Though, I do this in a more kosher style way then a kosher way (i.e. I won't mix cheese and meat but I won't wait the 6 hours in between meals).

I stopped eating pork cold turkey in September 2014 (with a few accidental relapses but none since 2015, I believe), but I still eat shrimp and crab. I love shrimp too much!

I don't hold shabbat or immerse myself in prayer books. I'm very secular in both of those regards. I have held shabbat a few times and it's cool but I doubt I could ever do it permanently and consistently.  

I love going to synagogue to one specific organization but I prefer going for more of the social and cultural Jewish aspect. When I feel like immersing myself in Judaism on a deeply religious level I usually like meeting with a Rabbi one-on-one.

Denomination wise: In between Conservative Judaism and Orthodox Judaism. Theologically, I believe in Orthodox Judaism, but I act like a moderate Jew (aka Conservative Judaism). I've been too partial Reform services, a few Conservative services, many orthodox services (mostly hasidic/haredi but some modern orthodox as well). So I've experienced the three main groupings of Judaism.

I don't like labeling myself with denominations. A Jew is a Jew and Jewish achdut - Jewish unity - is more important to me then a denomination.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies