How Religious are you (Revised)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:11:33 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  How Religious are you (Revised)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Are you Religious?
Yes. I'm Devout.

Yes. Somewhat.

No, not Really.

No, Not at all.

I'm spiritual, not religious.

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 102

Author Topic: How Religious are you (Revised)  (Read 2970 times)
FDRfan1985
Rookie

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2017, 11:26:03 PM »

Mostly spiritual.  I don't buy into the organized religion bullsh**t anymore.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2017, 08:33:53 AM »

I don't like labeling myself with denominations. A Jew is a Jew and Jewish achdut - Jewish unity - is more important to me then a denomination.

I'm an Atheist, but had to comment to say that I completely agree with this and that I'm ashamed that my country does not recognize the important conservative and reform Jewish branches as legitimate, many Haredi leaders even going as far as not recognizing them as true Jews.
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2017, 12:06:40 PM »
« Edited: January 17, 2017, 12:10:14 PM by SunriseAroundTheWorld »

I don't like labeling myself with denominations. A Jew is a Jew and Jewish achdut - Jewish unity - is more important to me then a denomination.

I'm an Atheist, but had to comment to say that I completely agree with this and that I'm ashamed that my country does not recognize the important conservative and reform Jewish branches as legitimate, many Haredi leaders even going as far as not recognizing them as true Jews.

Yea, this is where I disagree with Orthodox Jewish establishments the most. Pluralism within Judaism is key to advancing the national liberation movement of Zionism and more importantly the goals of Judaism itself.

I'm still decidedly Orthodox in my theological thinking (i.e. Orthodox conversions and marriages should be recognized over Reform or Conservative ones) but at the same time I believe that there needs to be some nuance politically.

I personally support the Sharansky plan when it comes to the Western Wall, as I think it's an olive branch to the American Diaspora (since many European Jewish congregations are Orthodox, I see this mainly as an American issue). But, I do have second thoughts about my support, sometimes.

His plan is not perfect, and nor would I personally use the Reform/Conservative portion of the Wall for prayer (Reform Judaism doesn't even consider the Wall to be a holy site for Jews, so I'm a bit puzzled why this is a major issue).

But, I think the Jewish community as a whole has an obligation to promote unity. There is an increasing divide between Israeli Jews and Diaspora Jews in America and it's depressing and the trend must be reversed.

American Jews were so key to bringing Israel back to the Modern world! Countless of important figures and names who gave up a ton to fight for, politically and even militarily, for the State of Israel. And I hate to say it, but outside of Religious Zionists and Modern Orthodox Jews, where were the Haredi Jews during the pre-state fights? Nowhere to be found.

The Sharansky plan is the best plan for someone like me to support. It  unites the Jewish tent for a better future.

But, I also think Reform and Conservative Judaism have to make some serious concessions as well.

The "Progressive" part of "Progressive Judaism" often trumps the "Judaism" part. I think the Women of the Wall are disgraceful and political charlatans. They recently came out and stated that they want eliminate the Wall as a prayer site and turn it purely into a "tourist site."  The fact that a washed-up American comedian's sister is the leader of this movement is even more sad/funny/both.

Progressive Rabbi involvement in Breaking The Silence, J-Street and T'ruah (still called "Rabbis for Human Rights" in Israel, right?) is not helping their cause for egalitarianism. They are aligning themselves with organizations that intend to hurt Israel's standing.

Also, in regards to marriage and conversion, I don't think Progressive Jews can, in good faith, argue their position is better. Intermarriage among Progressive or secular Jews is historically high in the U.S. and is climbing in Canada as well.

I'm not an anti-inter faith marriage extremist as marriage and romance is something an individual person has to figure out on their own. When people fall in love, everything else is second and there is nothing wrong with that. However, to ignore the fact that people are, in droves, fleeing progressive congregations because they intermarry and abandon their Jewishness...well, that's a massive failure by those Progressive Jewish leaders. The numbers show that Reform and Conservative congregations have collapsed because of it.

There are two ways to handle this, imo: 1) Reform and Conservative Judaism recommit their organs to promoting Jewish culture, Jewish traditions and Jewish marriage. This is really not an issue among Traditional or Religious Orthodox Jews of any stripe. 2) If one finds a non-Jewish partner who is willing to convert to Judaism, then they should convert Orthodox style with a Israeli rabbinate-approved Rabbi.

I also think there is room for some compromise by Orthodox authorities on this as well: If a Jewish person has a Jewish father but not a Jewish mother (by Orthodox law) then the conversion process should be made less difficult for these people...if that Jewish person has a cultural, religious or spiritual bond with Judaism. Personally, I consider Jews of interfaith background to be Jewish but I'm not the person who writes or manages Torah Law or Jewish Oral Torah.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2017, 03:58:04 PM »

Yea, this is where I disagree with Orthodox Jewish establishments the most. Pluralism within Judaism is key to advancing the national liberation movement of Zionism and more importantly the goals of Judaism itself.

I'm still decidedly Orthodox in my theological thinking (i.e. Orthodox conversions and marriages should be recognized over Reform or Conservative ones) but at the same time I believe that there needs to be some nuance politically.

I personally support the Sharansky plan when it comes to the Western Wall, as I think it's an olive branch to the American Diaspora (since many European Jewish congregations are Orthodox, I see this mainly as an American issue). But, I do have second thoughts about my support, sometimes.

His plan is not perfect, and nor would I personally use the Reform/Conservative portion of the Wall for prayer (Reform Judaism doesn't even consider the Wall to be a holy site for Jews, so I'm a bit puzzled why this is a major issue).

But, I think the Jewish community as a whole has an obligation to promote unity. There is an increasing divide between Israeli Jews and Diaspora Jews in America and it's depressing and the trend must be reversed.

American Jews were so key to bringing Israel back to the Modern world! Countless of important figures and names who gave up a ton to fight for, politically and even militarily, for the State of Israel. And I hate to say it, but outside of Religious Zionists and Modern Orthodox Jews, where were the Haredi Jews during the pre-state fights? Nowhere to be found.

The Sharansky plan is the best plan for someone like me to support. It  unites the Jewish tent for a better future.

But, I also think Reform and Conservative Judaism have to make some serious concessions as well.

The "Progressive" part of "Progressive Judaism" often trumps the "Judaism" part. I think the Women of the Wall are disgraceful and political charlatans. They recently came out and stated that they want eliminate the Wall as a prayer site and turn it purely into a "tourist site."  The fact that a washed-up American comedian's sister is the leader of this movement is even more sad/funny/both.

Progressive Rabbi involvement in Breaking The Silence, J-Street and T'ruah (still called "Rabbis for Human Rights" in Israel, right?) is not helping their cause for egalitarianism. They are aligning themselves with organizations that intend to hurt Israel's standing.

Also, in regards to marriage and conversion, I don't think Progressive Jews can, in good faith, argue their position is better. Intermarriage among Progressive or secular Jews is historically high in the U.S. and is climbing in Canada as well.

I'm not an anti-inter faith marriage extremist as marriage and romance is something an individual person has to figure out on their own. When people fall in love, everything else is second and there is nothing wrong with that. However, to ignore the fact that people are, in droves, fleeing progressive congregations because they intermarry and abandon their Jewishness...well, that's a massive failure by those Progressive Jewish leaders. The numbers show that Reform and Conservative congregations have collapsed because of it.

There are two ways to handle this, imo: 1) Reform and Conservative Judaism recommit their organs to promoting Jewish culture, Jewish traditions and Jewish marriage. This is really not an issue among Traditional or Religious Orthodox Jews of any stripe. 2) If one finds a non-Jewish partner who is willing to convert to Judaism, then they should convert Orthodox style with a Israeli rabbinate-approved Rabbi.

I also think there is room for some compromise by Orthodox authorities on this as well: If a Jewish person has a Jewish father but not a Jewish mother (by Orthodox law) then the conversion process should be made less difficult for these people...if that Jewish person has a cultural, religious or spiritual bond with Judaism. Personally, I consider Jews of interfaith background to be Jewish but I'm not the person who writes or manages Torah Law or Jewish Oral Torah.

I totally agree with the first part of this post, though I don't mind the Women of the Wall, and like that the progressive Jews are more accepting of gays and equality for women. Imo, to avoid the issue harming religion in the whole western world (young people turning back from traditional 'values' like discrimination against women) Judaism will need to reform.
Btw, about the conversion by the Orthodox law- imo, the Chief Rabbinate has to be broken and these things opened to competition, with supervision of religious leaders of course. The current conversion process is a disgrace, and it can especially be seen in the example migrants from Russia whose father (for example) was Jewish and their mother was not. While these people ARE recognized by the fantastic Law of Return in Israel, the Rabbinate is passing them through an extremely painful process if they want to officially convert (which they must, if they want to marry in Israel. The lack of civil option for marriage is also horrible). They're getting strict supervision to make sure they're leading a religious lifestyle, a lifestyle that most Jews in Israel don't live by, for example. This is a humiliating and shameful process for good zionists whose parents fought to come here despite the Soviet restrictions (like my own parents, who were both Jews, but while I won't have that problem, I'm gay anyway so I can't marry here).
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2017, 08:37:37 AM »

Somewhat religious, but not spiritual.
JGibson
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.00, S: -6.50

« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2017, 09:13:54 PM »

Yes, somewhat.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2017, 10:48:02 PM »

What about Messianic Jews? My father in law happens to be one.
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2017, 03:42:31 AM »

Devout, although that word may have a different meaning to me than to others.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies