IF You Ran for President... What Would the Map look Like?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 02:15:49 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  IF You Ran for President... What Would the Map look Like?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: IF You Ran for President... What Would the Map look Like?  (Read 6295 times)
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2016, 07:16:52 PM »

I underpreform in the Midwest and among social conservatives, causing me to lose even some republican leaning states.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2016, 10:34:50 PM »

Someone with the same views as me, and same strategy  of accomplishing your agenda would probably easily win

Someone with my Views/Portman

Someone with my views/ Portman 362
Hillary/Kaine 176
Blackacre
Spenstar3D
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.35, S: -7.22

« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2016, 10:02:02 AM »
« Edited: November 21, 2016, 10:09:23 AM by Zombie Spenstar »

If the national popular vote were exactly tied:

Senator ZombieSpenstar (D-NY)/Senator Sherrod Brown (DFL-MN) = 277 EVs, 50.0%
Senator Rand Paul (R-KY)/Senator Cory Gardner (R-CO) = 261 EVs, 50.0%

While my ambivalence on Trade would suggest otherwise, I think my base of support would be in the Midwest. I'd run a progressive populist campaign focusing on economic liberal policies like job-creating public works/infrastructure programs and regulation of the Banks and Wall Street. (without going full Bernie) The focus would be on empathy, with "I Feel Your Pain" style speeches common in rallies and prioritising social mobility in every proposal. The leftward shift would cost me among college-educated whites, hence losing Virginia and Colorado and New Hampshire, but the tipping-point state of Ohio would see me through. (alternatively, the tipping-point state of Ohio would screw me over John Kerry style)

A 10-point win:

Senator ZombieSpenstar (D-NY)/Senator Sherrod Brown (DFL-MN) = 389 EVs, 55.0%
President Donald Trump (R-NY)/Governor Mike Pence (R-IN) = 149 EVs, 45.0%

Here you see that strategy really bear fruit. In a landslide win I'd take Indiana and Missouri to sweep the Midwest, plus NH, CO, NC, and FL. The progressive populist strategy gives me wins in Montana, Indiana, Alaska, and South Dakota that a cosmopolitan Democrat wouldn't get, but costs me a win in Georgia that would be on a landslide map for a generic D. North Dakota stays Republican because oil. The media narrative after the election would be "ZombieSpenstar won because he took the economic concerns of the WWC seriously, offering them jobs and social mobility instead of empty bigotry and scapegoating." The tipping-point state in this case would not be Ohio, because of the massive Midwestern swing in my direction, but Virginia.

A 10 Point Loss:

Governor John Kasich (R-OH)/Senator Marco Rubio (R-FL) = 336 EVs, 55.0%
Senator ZombieSpenstar (D-NY)/Senator Sherrod Brown (DFL-MN) = 202 EVs, 45.0%

Here you see the strategy collapsing entirely, perhaps because I can't fight my incumbent party's weaknesses with the WCC, or because of Kasich's appeal to the center. My support would collapse among whites with college degrees, depriving me of Maine and Oregon, and hispanics, costing me New Mexico and Nevada and making Florida a pipe dream. Ohio goes to its governor, and I still lose WWCs enough to lose Iowa, Pennsylvania, and Wsconsin. However, while Kasich easily wins here, margins in various midwestern states are closer than expected for a 10-point loss, explaining why I keep Michigan and Minnesota. Since my base remains in the Midwest, even a landslide loss would only cause me to collapse there slightly less than HRC did while ignoring it. While the first race has the tipping point state as Ohio and the second has it as Virginia, in this landslide loss I collapse too hard in Kasich's home state and among college whites for either to play that role. Instead, the tipping-point state is Nevada.
BSH
buck_stops_here
Rookie
United States

« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2016, 07:41:08 PM »

An optimistic map assuming I ran as a Democrat in the 2020s

BSH (D-TX)/Progressive Dem (D-Midwest) - 278
Some Republican/Other Republican - 125
Tossup - 135

Assuming a high Latino turnout and Dem margin, as well as a competent Dem campaign in the upper Midwest for the white middle-class voters there.
justfollowingtheelections
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2016, 08:28:59 PM »

If YOU Ran for president.... How would the map look like? Include your home state, the home state of the VP you chose, and each of your former positions (i.e.. senator arizona/ governor colorado)
I think this is possibly one of the funnest hypotheticals ever so please make it realistic and include swing states and the eventual result (Base it on whatever predictions you have for the year you would run based on trends)

Considering that 99.9% of the people here don't have the resources to run a proper campaign I would say it would be a landslide loss for pretty much everyone.
bagelman
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2016, 09:31:51 PM »

If YOU Ran for president.... How would the map look like? Include your home state, the home state of the VP you chose, and each of your former positions (i.e.. senator arizona/ governor colorado)
I think this is possibly one of the funnest hypotheticals ever so please make it realistic and include swing states and the eventual result (Base it on whatever predictions you have for the year you would run based on trends)

Considering that 99.9% of the people here don't have the resources to run a proper campaign I would say it would be a landslide loss for pretty much everyone.

Well, yea, but that would be boring.
Cashew
United States

« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2016, 12:30:00 AM »

With republican bitterly divided over the disastrous Trump presidency, and Democrats having nominated a sjw, public discontent is at an all time high, and the time is ripe for a true independent.

My worst region would be the southeast, as black loyalty to the Democratic party would be too much to overcome, and suburban Republicans are not pleased with my brand of populism either.

Despite this I perform surprisingly well in Louisiana with its history of populism, and Kansas, which has tired of Republican austerity.

My biggest struggle would be holding on to my home state, due to several socially conservative positions, however in the end resentment against the elites pulls me over the top, barely.

The more conservative western states however feel it is safe to jump ship, with a religious Independent.

nicholas.slaydon
Ukraine

« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2016, 01:24:59 AM »

Comfortable Loss:

Narrow Win:

Comfortable Win:

Landslide Victory:
President of the great nation of 🏳️‍⚧️
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2016, 08:45:44 AM »

2020 - Landslide loss:

419-119
It's morning in America, and following the October surprises of Peebs's lesbian affair with one of her interns and medical records of sex-reassignment surgery, the only thing preventing Peebs from losing everything but D.C. is polarization and the D next to her name.
2028 - Narrow loss:

272-266
Despite her winning the popular vote and the battleground of North Carolina (Although some say she only won for being a favorite daughter), Peebs snatches defeat from the jaws of victory due to the Republican 272 freiwal and losses of the slimmest margins in Wisconsin, Michigan, and Florida.
2028 - Narrow victory

321-217
Basically above but Peebs wins WI, MI, FL, and ME-02.
2056 - Landslide victory

477-61
After the outgoing Republican administration proves itself to be an absolute failure that would make James Buchanan look like Abraham Lincoln, Peebs wins by a huge margin.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #34 on: December 29, 2016, 07:09:08 PM »

Landslide loss:

Close loss:

Close win:

Landslide win:
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #35 on: December 30, 2016, 02:09:47 AM »

Landslide Loss:

Trump narrowly defeats a Democrat as I fail to make any serious impact or get on any ticket. I proceed to shoot myself.

Bad Loss

I win Dem nomination, but end up losing because Progressives hate me. I shoot myself.

Close Loss

Michiganders hate me. I shoot myself.

Close win

Michiganders love me. I have a celebratory orgy.

Landslide Victory

Democrats fully embrace my vision, Michael Moore tries to lead a campaign against me, but fails. Trump caught rimming me. I have a celebratory orgy.

All these scenarios are far fetched and practically impossible.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #36 on: December 30, 2016, 06:31:44 AM »
« Edited: December 30, 2016, 06:36:20 AM by Parrotguy »

Landslide loss (2020)Sad

Senator Parrotguy (D-VA)/Senator Chuck Schumer (D-NY) - 156 EV, 37.3%
President Donald J. Trump (R-NY)/Vice President Mike Pence (R-IN) - 382 EV, 46.9%
Representative Tulsi Gabbgard (I-HI)/Activist Zephyr Teachout (I-NY) - 3 EV, 13.8%

While some progressive positions I hold, like single payer healthcare and supporting education, as well as social liberalism and environmentalism resound with some democrats, my fiscal moderatism, support for trade deals and globalism causes a mass desertion of Bernie supporters, and my opponent manages to crush me with insults and attack ads, making me look like an elitist. On the other side, moderate Republicans and independents are turned down by my homosexuality and support for some progressive ideas.

Normal/narrow loss (2020)Sad

Senator Parrotguy (D-VA)/Governor Gavin Newsome (D-CA) - 226 EV, 47.6%
President Donald J. Trump (R-NY)/Vice President Mike Pence (R-IN) - 312 EV, 47.9%

Same as landslide, but better debates and no progressive candidate running against me.

Narrow win (2024)Sad

Senator Parrotguy (D-VA)/Senator Kamala Harris (D-CA) - 301 EV, 49.8%
Governor Jon Kasich (R-OH)/Speaker Paul Ryan (R-WI) - 239 EV, 46.3%

After 8 years of Trump, the nation really, really wants something new. However, the man the Republicans nominate is pretty effective, and does manage to turn some Bernie supporters against me. In the end the WWC is frustrated that Trump didn't really improve their situation, and my argument that Trump fighting trade deals didn't magically improve their situation much resounds and I narrowly win, though still losing the WWC quite substantially.

Landslide win (2024)Sad

Senator Parrotguy (D-VA)/Senator Tammy Baldwin (D-WI) - 226 EV, 53.2%
Vice President Mike Pence (R-IN)/Senator Ted Cruz (R-TX) - 312 EV, 43.1%

Donald Trump failed, and the nation is not getting any greater, a bad global situation and a few bad natural disasters caused by global warming happened in places like Florida, California and North Carolina. Despite my opponent trying to turn progressives against me for my trade deal and globalism opinions, this is forgotten and I manage to turn the focus to how badly global cooperation is needed, and my positions on healthcare, education, Citizens United, and my opponent's bigotry, aided by the first fully-lgbt ticket ever.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #37 on: December 30, 2016, 01:51:45 PM »
« Edited: December 30, 2016, 01:53:50 PM by Del Tachi »

United States presidential election, 2060

Former Governor Del Tachi (D-GA) / Senator Cory Booker 2.0 (D-MD) - 269 EV; 48.5% of NPV
Former Governor Mike Pence 2.0 (R-TX) / Senator Marco Rubio 2.0 (R-SC) - 269 EV; 48.3% of NPV

Del Tachi's political career:

Member, Fulton County Board of Commissioners; 2039 - 2045
Congressman for Georgia's 5th Congressional District; 2045 - 2049 [1]
Governor of Georgia; 2051 - 2059

[1] Elected in a special election in 2045 when incumbent Congressman resigned due to scandal.  Re-elected in 2046.  Lost Democratic renomination in 2048. 
Wells
MikeWells12
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #38 on: December 30, 2016, 02:09:46 PM »

I'd probably lose, but I might as well make the map interesting.

But if I won:

Bigby
Mod_Libertarian_GOPer
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: 3.74

« Reply #39 on: December 30, 2016, 09:53:15 PM »

Best Performance:

Worst Performance:

MLM
Rookie
United Kingdom

« Reply #40 on: January 02, 2017, 06:40:16 AM »
« Edited: January 04, 2017, 12:08:58 PM by MLM »

I'm obviously not eligible but let's see

Despite being an atheist I can keep some of the south with things like my abortion stance etc. My more libertarian stance on other issues like gay marriage allows me to encroach on some democratic areas. There's nothing really about me that would allow me to win the rust belt. My support for religious liberty means I can get the more religious states. I'm not sure how my immigration stance would affect my campaign, I'm generally pro immigration and I believe it has a largely positive effect on the economy but I am a hardliner on illegal immigration) so I will just guess I do better than most republicans with Latinos. I also believe in some kind of basic public health care system so that could help. I also support marijuana legalisation.

Writing this has made me realise just how strange my collection of views are, lol.

I'm the GOP candidate by the way in case you couldn't tell.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies