When will the 2 parties(Republicans and Democrats) swap positions on Free Trade?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 11:51:07 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  When will the 2 parties(Republicans and Democrats) swap positions on Free Trade?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: When will the 2 parties(Republicans and Democrats) swap positions on Free Trade?  (Read 778 times)
hopper
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 03, 2016, 05:20:11 PM »

So when do the Republicans adopt a more restrictionist position on free trade and the Dems a more lazieez-fare position on free-trade? The Dems I think will be more of a Silicon-Valley(i.e. Tech) and NYC oriented party with the financial services industry. Therefore the Dems will adopt a more lazieez-fare position on free-trade and the Republicans will adopt a Trump-Style position on free-trade.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2016, 06:47:17 PM »

I don't think they will or that they need to.

But it's very clear that the GOP is becoming the "nativist" party. Politicians who favor immigration reform are unacceptable to the majority of the party base. And Donald Trump's campaign has revealed many Republicans go further than that and are simply angry at the notion that America could be anything other than a "white" country.
hopper
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2016, 06:55:40 PM »

But it's very clear that the GOP is becoming the "nativist" party. Politicians who favor immigration reform are unacceptable to the majority of the party base. And Donald Trump's campaign has revealed many Republicans go further than that and are simply angry at the notion that America could be anything other than a "white" country.
Actually 56% of Republican Voters per Pew Research favor immigration reform.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2016, 07:39:24 AM »

Actually 56% of Republican Voters per Pew Research favor immigration reform.

Because no one knows what that means.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2016, 07:52:26 AM »

The Dems I think will be more of a Silicon-Valley(i.e. Tech) and NYC oriented party with the financial services industry.

michaelscottno.gif
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2016, 01:26:52 PM »

When the business community no longer supports free trade and unions do (like pre-WWII America, when we weren't as powerful and influential in the global economy).  Don't hold your breath.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2016, 10:18:34 AM »

The Democratic Party is already the party of free trade. The Republican Party is obviously not.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2016, 11:11:01 AM »

The Democratic Party has been a pro-free trade party since William Jennings Bryan.
White Trash
Southern Gothic
YaBB God

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2016, 11:58:39 AM »

It's much more likely that the Republicans will come to the left on immigration reform than trade.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2016, 12:03:41 PM »

The Democratic Party is already the party of free trade. The Republican Party is obviously not.

Congressional votes don't support that at all.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2016, 12:45:02 PM »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fourteen_Points
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reciprocal_Tariff_Act
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Trade_Organization

"We hold large assets abroad--the total owed this nation far exceeds the claims upon our reserves--and our exports once again substantially exceed our imports. In short, we need not--and we shall not--take any action to increase the dollar price of gold from $35 an ounce--to impose exchange controls--to reduce our anti-recession efforts--to fall back on restrictive trade policies--or to weaken our commitments around the world." - John F. Kennedy

"By working closely with our friends abroad, we can promote the economic health of the whole world, with fair and balanced agreements lowering the barriers to trade. Despite the inevitable pressures that build up when the world economy suffers from high unemployment, we must firmly resist the demands for self-defeating protectionism. But free trade must also be fair trade. And I am determined to protect American industry and American workers against foreign trade practices which are unfair or illegal." - Jimmy Carter
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2016, 01:35:04 PM »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fourteen_Points
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reciprocal_Tariff_Act
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Trade_Organization

"We hold large assets abroad--the total owed this nation far exceeds the claims upon our reserves--and our exports once again substantially exceed our imports. In short, we need not--and we shall not--take any action to increase the dollar price of gold from $35 an ounce--to impose exchange controls--to reduce our anti-recession efforts--to fall back on restrictive trade policies--or to weaken our commitments around the world." - John F. Kennedy

"By working closely with our friends abroad, we can promote the economic health of the whole world, with fair and balanced agreements lowering the barriers to trade. Despite the inevitable pressures that build up when the world economy suffers from high unemployment, we must firmly resist the demands for self-defeating protectionism. But free trade must also be fair trade. And I am determined to protect American industry and American workers against foreign trade practices which are unfair or illegal." - Jimmy Carter

Look at the vote by party on both NAFTA and TPP authorization.  Likely would have been even more split if it had been a Republican President, too.  Why is this even debated on this delusional site, LOL.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies