Who would John Brown have voted for if he was alive today?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 08:25:19 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Who would John Brown have voted for if he was alive today?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Who would John Brown have voted for if he was alive today?  (Read 2112 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 04, 2016, 03:37:13 PM »

He would've supported Obama in the 2008 primary and probably Sanders this year, but would be a staunch supporter of Hillary now.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2016, 03:38:40 PM »

He'd probably have been executed after having murdered a racist cop in Texas or something. Tongue
Obama-Biden Democrat
Zyzz
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2016, 03:52:50 PM »

John Brown and Abe Lincoln would be absolutely heartbroken and disgusted at what has happened to the Republican party. The party of civil rights is now the party of white nationalism, sad!
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2016, 03:54:02 PM »

John Brown?! Seriously? This question is bad and you should feel bad.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2016, 04:22:25 PM »

John Brown was also an extremely religious man who would certainly be uncomfortable with some of the positions held by the modern Democratic Party. But, the question is moot in any case, because...

♪John Brown's body lies a-mouldering in the grave...♪
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2016, 05:14:43 PM »

He'd probably have been executed after having murdered a racist cop in Texas or something. Tongue

What, right after shooting an African-American (as indeed happened in his pitiful little assault on Harpers Ferry)?
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2016, 05:20:25 PM »

John Brown was also an extremely religious man who would certainly be uncomfortable with some of the positions held by the modern Democratic Party. But, the question is moot in any case, because...

Yes, anyone trying to compare today's politics to any time between 1840ish and 1940ish needs to account for the religious left movement that basically no longer exists. 

William Jennings Bryan is of course the classic flummoxing example of this.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2016, 05:20:46 PM »

John Brown isn't you, BRTD.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2016, 05:50:54 PM »

Yes, anyone trying to compare today's politics to any time between 1840ish and 1940ish needs to account for the religious left movement that basically no longer exists. 

Huh? You should see some of my friends' Facebook feeds.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2016, 05:55:53 PM »

His father would probably #StandBehindHillary
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2016, 07:33:03 PM »

I'm more interested in who RON Brown would have voted for if he was alive today.
Sumner 1868
tara gilesbie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2016, 07:36:31 PM »

John Brown and Abe Lincoln would be absolutely heartbroken and disgusted at what has happened to the Republican party. The party of civil rights is now the party of white nationalism, sad!

Brown actually detested the GOP because he viewed them as Garrisonian cowards who weren't willing to take on the plantation owners.
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2016, 07:50:08 PM »

Castle mostly because of social issues.
Averroës Nix
United States

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2016, 08:08:24 PM »

The irony is so rich that it's painful...
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2016, 10:28:16 PM »

Brown actually detested the GOP because he viewed them as Garrisonian cowards who weren't willing to take on the plantation owners.
Yeah, by all accounts he's the type BRTD would despise for being a True Leftist
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2016, 11:41:50 PM »
« Edited: September 05, 2016, 09:53:21 AM by Simfan34 »

In what ways do their religious beliefs affect their political views, and where do those beliefs lead to divergences from the standard liberal secular orthodoxy?
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2016, 01:15:21 AM »

Nobody
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2016, 11:23:03 PM »

In what ways do their religious beliefs affect their political views, and where do those beliefs lead to divergences from the standard liberal secular orthodoxy?

They're basically just standard liberals who also have a lot of "I love Jesus!" stuff as well, but a lot of times they'll promote their liberalism and what Jesus taught.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2016, 11:51:10 PM »

Yes, and I could see it coming back circa 2030, particularly if the Republicans go full Trump from this point forward.

God, I hope so.

They're basically just standard liberals who also have a lot of "I love Jesus!" stuff as well, but a lot of times they'll promote their liberalism and what Jesus taught.

So the answer is 'insignificantly and nowhere'?
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2016, 12:28:01 AM »

John Brown wouldn't be voting, he'd have had his suffrage stripped due to felony conviction after he decided to try to shoot up a federal base.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2016, 12:40:49 AM »

Yes, and I could see it coming back circa 2030, particularly if the Republicans go full Trump from this point forward.

God, I hope so.

So the answer is 'insignificantly and nowhere'?

I'd hardly say insignificantly seeing as how many rave about how Trump isn't a Christian and Hillary is, just like many labeled Romney a heretic and non-Christian. So how are they not religious left?
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2016, 01:12:14 AM »

Okay but are their views substantively changed or inflected from what they would otherwise be because they are Christian?
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2016, 03:45:54 AM »

People tend to forget how left the parties have travelled. Brown would vote Republican because Republicans are more prolife. He might also stay home because he doesn't feel well represented by either party.
White Trash
Southern Gothic
YaBB God

« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2016, 06:57:15 AM »

Cornel West.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2016, 08:12:45 PM »

Okay but are their views substantively changed or inflected from what they would otherwise be because they are Christian?

Impossible to know.

But for example what about Rachel Held Evans?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies