Ha check out Brock Turner's fate now
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 05:31:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Ha check out Brock Turner's fate now
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Ha check out Brock Turner's fate now  (Read 1520 times)
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 04, 2016, 09:59:08 PM »

http://usuncut.com/resistance/armed-protesters-brock-turner-home

https://youtu.be/2LM0CZZ9Uw8
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2016, 12:16:57 AM »

Still better than the 20 (or more) years in prison he deserves, but serves him right.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2016, 02:39:15 AM »
« Edited: September 05, 2016, 02:45:07 AM by I did not see L.A. »

Still better than the 20 (or more) years in prison he deserves, but serves him right.

This.

However, I hope they also focus on recalling the judge who's responsible for this blatant injustice and ruining any other career he might try to seek. We expect people to commit heinous crimes, but when the judicial system sends the message that it's not a big deal, that's the sign that we're dealing with a deep-rooted cultural problem.
Wells
MikeWells12
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2016, 06:58:23 AM »

"If I rape Brock Turner will I only get 3 months?"

Seems fair.
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2016, 10:20:09 AM »

Here's another reason why judges should not be elected or subject to recall. Issues like this are going to force judges like him to make decisions in sentencing based on public opinion instead of the law and mitigating circumstances. The media has been conveniently omitting the fact that he was never charged with rape and he was convicted of assault. Huge difference. Given the circumstances and his previously clean record, six months isn't that unreasonable, especially considering it was what the county probation officer recommended.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2016, 10:24:13 AM »

Here's another reason why judges should not be elected or subject to recall. Issues like this are going to force judges like him to make decisions in sentencing based on public opinion instead of the law and mitigating circumstances. The media has been conveniently omitting the fact that he was never charged with rape and he was convicted of assault. Huge difference. Given the circumstances and his previously clean record, six months isn't that unreasonable, especially considering it was what the county probation officer recommended.

Yikes
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2016, 10:41:02 AM »

Actually, he was indicted on the following counts:

1. Rape of an intoxicated person

2. Rape of an unconscious person

3. Assault with intent to rape an intoxicated woman

4. Sexually penetrating an intoxicated person with a foreign object

5. Sexually penetrating an unconscious person with a foreign object
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2016, 10:47:37 AM »

Really even though I thought he deserved a longer sentence like almost everyone, I wasn't outraged into thinking he necessarily got off easy. Because let's look at the other happenings:

-He was kicked out of school.
-He was banned from competitive swimming for life.
-He will be registered as a sex offender for life.
-Everyone knows who he is and stuff like this will always follow him.

Getting a six year sentence and having that be the end of it after its over would be far more lenient.
Lyin' Steve
SteveMcQueen

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2016, 12:15:11 PM »

This is not ok.

One of the pictures on that site has chalk written "shoot your local rapist."  Another sign says "castrate the rapist."

This isn't something to applaud, laugh about, or be proud of.  This isn't a public shaming.  These are threats against his life, people begging for someone to murder him.

Should we just go back to having lynch mobs?  Would the events of Fury (1936) all have been good with you had Spencer Tracy actually been guilty?  Or do you just think this is wonderful because you trust these random people not to do the things they're threatening to do?

And before y'all start jumping in with the what-about-isms, "well what he did was terrible so he deserves this", two wrongs don't make a right and Atlas you know better.  Ha ha ha indeed.
Joe Biden is your president. Deal with it.
diskymike44

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2016, 01:31:05 PM »

Wonder how long before he gets it
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2016, 03:25:24 PM »

He doesn't live there. They're threatening his parents, not him. This is despicable.
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2016, 03:26:58 PM »

The rape charges were dropped when DNA showed there was no evidence of sexual intercourse.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2016, 07:24:32 PM »
« Edited: September 05, 2016, 07:31:02 PM by Figueira »

The rape charges were dropped when DNA showed there was no evidence of sexual intercourse.

It was still rape though.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2016, 06:24:35 AM »

It was still rape though.

Correct.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2016, 07:58:00 AM »

This seems un-Christian, BRTD.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2016, 10:22:06 AM »

Anyway, I can get behind harrassment of him, but not his parents. Having your child turn out to be a rapist must be awful, and I can't blame them for being in denial.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2016, 11:44:17 AM »

Anyway, I can get behind harrassment of him, but not his parents. Having your child turn out to be a rapist must be awful, and I can't blame them for being in denial.

His father is a pretty horrible excuse for a human being though: don't forget that he wrote the infamous "20 minutes of action" letter.  His mother's statement is just as callous and oblivous, and neither said even a word in sympathy for their son's victim.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2016, 01:12:47 PM »

His father is a pretty horrible excuse for a human being though: don't forget that he wrote the infamous "20 minutes of action" letter.  His mother's statement is just as callous and oblivous, and neither said even a word in sympathy for their son's victim.

Ah. I take that back then.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2016, 03:48:13 PM »

Obviously protesters should stay within the bounds of the law, but as long as they do, I don't see anything wrong with that.

Still, several years in jail were what he deserved, and they might actually have made him realize that what he did was wrong (which should be the goal of any judicial system), which this certainly won't.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies