WI: 2008 NC-SEN: Jim Neal nominated; Elizabeth Dole re elected
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 12:34:16 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Past Election What-ifs (US) (Moderator: Dereich)
  WI: 2008 NC-SEN: Jim Neal nominated; Elizabeth Dole re elected
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: WI: 2008 NC-SEN: Jim Neal nominated; Elizabeth Dole re elected  (Read 420 times)
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 04, 2016, 10:15:09 PM »

Let's say maybe Harvey Gantt endorses Jim Neal, alongside then City Councilman Anthony Foxx, former State Auditor Ralph Campbell, and Durham Mayor Bill Bell. Jim Neal wins a closely contested primary and thus Elizabeth Dole wins the female vote by enough to win by three or four points even as Perdue and Obama win.
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2016, 10:51:53 PM »

The greatest affect this would have on OTL events would be the 111th Congress bills (Obamacare, Stimulus, etc.). Dole would deny Democrats a filibuster proof majority, even with Specter's switch. The Democrats could have tried to court Snowe to at least become an Independent, though I doubt she would have. Maybe the filibusters would be nuked? Later, I can see Dole retiring in 2014 after her second term, and handing off the seat to Tillis in the midterm year. Without the Democratic nominee having the incumbency advantage, Tillis would win by a larger margin than he did IRL.
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2016, 11:22:01 PM »

Also, to add on to what I previously said: Assuming Ted Kennedy dies when he did IRL, the Massachusetts Special election would turn out differently. Brown ran on being the 41st vote against Dem filibusters, and argued that Obamacare would cost a lot of money, and people in Massachusetts didn't need it since the state already had something similar. If Coakley won, Massachusetts would have elected a different AG in 2010, and someone else would have ran against Baker in 2014 (I think Baker would still win). And Warren likely would not have primaries Coakley in 2012, perhaps she would have ran in 2013 for Kerry's special election (assuming Brown didn't win in 2010)?
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2016, 12:43:13 AM »

The greatest affect this would have on OTL events would be the 111th Congress bills (Obamacare, Stimulus, etc.). Dole would deny Democrats a filibuster proof majority, even with Specter's switch. The Democrats could have tried to court Snowe to at least become an Independent, though I doubt she would have. Maybe the filibusters would be nuked? Later, I can see Dole retiring in 2014 after her second term, and handing off the seat to Tillis in the midterm year. Without the Democratic nominee having the incumbency advantage, Tillis would win by a larger margin than he did IRL.
I'd think maybe either Lieutenant Governor Forest would run or one of Paul Coble or Tom Fetzer. I really doubt Tillis would win the primary.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies