Phyllis Schlafly dead at 92
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 01:57:24 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Phyllis Schlafly dead at 92
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Phyllis Schlafly dead at 92  (Read 4143 times)
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: September 06, 2016, 10:29:07 AM »

RIP. But nevertheless a political HP.
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #51 on: September 06, 2016, 10:31:15 AM »

"If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all."
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #52 on: September 06, 2016, 08:08:37 PM »

There's a ton to hate about her, but somehow I feel uncomfortable actually celebrating her passing.

Wouldn't hurt to try though.

I'm sorry, but I don't want to go out of my way to make an effort to celebrate someone's death. I didn't for Thatcher, I didn't for Scalia, and I won't for this sorry specimen.

How did you feel on May 2, 2011?

I hoped Osama had repented before his death and said a prayer for his soul on the chance that he made it past the Brig o' Dread (abnormal).

I know you're branch of Christianity isn't exactly mainstream BRTD, but you do know that's the expected response for most Christians right?

Purgatory and the Brig o' Dread is mainstream for most Christians?  Not many (if any) Protestants believe in Purgatory.  I would pray that Osama repented and gotten salvation, but he very well may have been given over to a reprobate mind at that point such that he was beyond repentance, but that is God's judgment and not mine.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #53 on: September 07, 2016, 12:29:23 AM »

I should point out that I never intended to dance on her grave or anything nor did I here, though I'll also say that a 92-year old dying of natural causes is not a tragedy and not something that demands immediate mourning from everyone. I mean go get a newspaper and look in the obituaries section, and you'll find multiple recently deceased people far more worthy of mourning and less destructive than she was.

I know you're branch of Christianity isn't exactly mainstream BRTD, but you do know that's the expected response for most Christians right?

Well how many did so? I mean all the stories we heard of crowds cheering and all that when the news of his death was broken shows that. Not that that's an excuse or anything, though I think the evidence is pretty clear bin Laden didn't engage in any regret or repentance, (remaining in hiding in the compound instead of turning himself in is the proof of this.) Not my place to judge of course, but I don't see a reason to not use common sense here. Anyway I'll note that I wasn't much of a Christian then anyway, that happened a couple months later. And I always thought this song sums me up pretty well. (lyrics in the description) I don't think I've ever exactly hid my anger or lack of empathy for those who are so wrong, see any recent posts I've made about supporters of communist parties and movements.

BRTD's version of "Christianity" is essentially mainstream liberal consumerism with pictures of Jesus added to your Instagram, so it's not really surprising that he wouldn't take Christian doctrine about forgiveness and human dignity (among other things)  especially seriously when those come into conflict with signaling that he's a member of the "all liberal, all the time" crowd.

OK first I find it pretty hilarious that this accusation comes after some people (not you admittedly) have been saying for years that I'm actually in a stealth fundamentalist cult and am so close to becoming a hardline socon.

Second, the "mainstream" part alone is quite amusing since that's a dirty word to most such people, as well as "consumerism" since I've actually heard several sermons about the perils of that.

Thirdly, I think you should keep in mind there's more than whatever aspects I talk about. I have reposted what some other people have said on Facebook and AAD and I know a lot of it just boils down to *liberal talking point liberal talking point liberal talking point plus "I love Jesus!"* (I think Alcon once described it as "Praise Jesus and oh by the way I am liberal") but even then I'm only highlighting part of it. As a general rule, nothing posted in "BRTD Issues" (and I'm willing to say that applies to what other people say too such as tweed and Snowstalker) is entirely serious. I know a lot of people didn't like it (understandably) when I referred to one of the pastors as "hot pastor" but she's CLEARLY someone who's very Christ-filled and that isn't diminished by her listening to NPR while picking up her indie coffee shop drinks while commuting to her day job. Meeting stereotypical liberal parameters like that does not diminish how her heart reflects the love of Christ.

And finally, I've admitted the "all liberal all the time" talk is hyperbolic before (if it wasn't I also wouldn't be mocking how downright stupid so many liberal arts college students are today with their pronoun specifying and ranting about the horrors of white people having dreadlocks or doing yoga like I've vocally done) and obviously wouldn't be true about my brand of Christianity where most people are clearly not fond of abortion, though usually taking the same position as Rachel Held Evans here.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #54 on: September 07, 2016, 04:19:05 AM »

"A woman president over my dead body"

Well, we're almost there. Almost.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #55 on: September 08, 2016, 08:45:29 AM »

I appreciate the thoughtful response to a pretty caustic comment from me. The thing is, I've never been tempted to belittle your faith because of your style of worship. I don't think there's anything wrong with that part of what you do. I do, on the other hand, find extreme spitefulness pretty odd coming from anyone who claims to be a devout Christian

Don't know if I was misinterpreting you, but you have said before that you basically disapprove of any self-selected religion as part of a personally constructed identity and joining any church less than a hundred years old in the past. But for the second point: Uh what about just about every right wing Christian? Most of the way I can be comes from frustration with them.
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #56 on: September 08, 2016, 10:11:02 PM »

To paraphrase Chris Hitchens in the passing of a similar person:

"Giver her an enema and you could bury her in a matchbox, that's all I'm saying."
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #57 on: September 09, 2016, 06:14:01 AM »

"If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all."
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #58 on: September 16, 2016, 07:35:12 PM »

I've thought about this long and hard. Schlafly's views were indeed horrendous, but the glory of America is that people are more than their politics. As I was reminded diving down a Wikipedia rabbit hole.

"After The People vs. Larry Flynt appeared, Falwell and Flynt began meeting in person to discuss philosophy. They visited colleges to publicly debate morality and the First Amendment, and exchanged Christmas cards and family photos. After Falwell's death in 2007 Flynt wrote, "the ultimate result was one I never expected ... We became friends".

http://articles.latimes.com/print/2007/may/20/opinion/op-flynt20
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies