Opinion of Amy Schumer
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 12:51:34 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Opinion of Amy Schumer
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Opinion of Amy Schumer
FF

HP

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 41

Author Topic: Opinion of Amy Schumer  (Read 1712 times)
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 06, 2016, 07:08:53 PM »

According to Milo she is a product of a feminist conspiracy to promote overweight, unattractive women.
Modernity has failed us
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2016, 07:18:49 PM »

The more palatable version of Lena Dunham. Plenty to dislike, but she's not awful.
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2016, 07:24:29 PM »

Lean HP, but much better than Lena Dunham and her ilk.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2016, 07:14:59 AM »

People that think she's fat are assholes.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2016, 03:15:16 PM »

I don't really find her to be funny.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2016, 03:15:22 PM »

I have a strong dislike of her. Some of it is for good cause though there is an irrational element to it as well.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2016, 03:50:26 PM »

People that think she's fat are assholes. should be shoot in public

Yes of course I don't mean that, but the people who describe a woman have a BMI around 25 as miss Schumer have, as fat is major part of why so many women see themselves as fat, and they like other bullies should be shamed until they stop saying their sh**t in public.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2016, 03:58:27 PM »

This woman is "fatter" (doesn't sound right as neither is fat) and she's a supermodel frequently on magazine covers. It's ridiculous.

Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2016, 04:30:34 PM »

I'm less interested in what you all think about Amy Schumer than what we are supposed to think about her, according to progressive and/or "woke" thought-leaders, particularly those of color, whose views are the ones, as we are repeatedly told, are the ones we should be listening to.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2016, 04:45:21 PM »

Ff, duh.

I'm less interested in what you all think about Amy Schumer than what we are supposed to think about her, according to progressive and/or "woke" thought-leaders, particularly those of color, whose views are the ones, as we are repeatedly told, are the ones we should be listening to.

What the heck does that even mean?
Slow Learner
Battenberg
United Kingdom

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2016, 05:00:51 PM »

Not very funny, don't care.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2016, 05:13:22 PM »

She said all Hispanics are rapists. That's not a joke.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2016, 05:22:53 PM »

Ff, duh.

I'm assuming this thread is in response to the thing Amy Schumer did which wasn't very progressive or, I hazard, hurtful to marginalized and oppressed people. I don't recall what this thing was, but I recall reading about it. I also recall reading the corresponding takes that said that this thing meant that Schumer wasn't a very good feminist, and was ignorant of the need to take an intersectional approach to her thinking. Lena Dunham was also accused of the same offense, although in her case I know what the thing she did wrong actually was. One provided a list of "good" feminists in popular culture to look up to, most of whom were "women of color" and were overtly ideological and intersectional.

The direct inference of this, and the broader inference from the prevalent discourse on feminism, race, and intersectionalism, is that there is a "correct" way to view the world, informed by the "correct" set of beliefs on how it works, which is generally described as being "woke", and might be described less glibly as having an intersectional and race, gender, class, ableness, sexual, and privilege-conscious outlook. I don't think I need to go into depth as to the beliefs adjunct to this outlook; but the question I asked can be summarized as asking what a person with this outlook-- which is the correct outlook-- would think, or should think about Amy Schumer, taking into account all of the above.
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2016, 05:55:31 PM »
« Edited: September 07, 2016, 06:07:45 PM by Oh Hill Yes »

Ff, duh.

I'm assuming this thread is in response to the thing Amy Schumer did which wasn't very progressive or, I hazard, hurtful to marginalized and oppressed people. I don't recall what this thing was, but I recall reading about it. I also recall reading the corresponding takes that said that this thing meant that Schumer wasn't a very good feminist, and was ignorant of the need to take an intersectional approach to her thinking. Lena Dunham was also accused of the same offense, although in her case I know what the thing she did wrong actually was. One provided a list of "good" feminists in popular culture to look up to, most of whom were "women of color" and were overtly ideological and intersectional.

The direct inference of this, and the broader inference from the prevalent discourse on feminism, race, and intersectionalism, is that there is a "correct" way to view the world, informed by the "correct" set of beliefs on how it works, which is generally described as being "woke", and might be described less glibly as having an intersectional and race, gender, class, ableness, sexual, and privilege-conscious outlook. I don't think I need to go into depth as to the beliefs adjunct to this outlook; but the question I asked can be summarized as asking what a person with this outlook-- which is the correct outlook-- would think, or should think about Amy Schumer, taking into account all of the above.

I made this thread in response to Milo's ABC interview, in which he implied there is a feminist conspiracy to make Schumer and Dunham popular.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2016, 05:58:28 PM »

FF (sane, normal, etc)
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2016, 06:02:52 PM »

Ff, duh.

I made this thread in response to Milo's ABC interview, in which he implied there is a feminish conspiracy to make Schumer and Dunham popular.

There is a conspiracy, it's called privilege. You'd think the founder of the grant would know that
Arturo Belano

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.43

« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2016, 07:09:37 PM »

Horrifically unfunny
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2016, 09:10:55 PM »

In short, while I can't feel sorry for them-- or at least Dunham-- both have been denounced for having committed the grave felony of having been insufficiently deferential towards black people.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2016, 10:08:52 PM »

In short, while I can't feel sorry for them-- or at least Dunham-- both have been denounced for having committed the grave felony of having been insufficiently deferential towards black people.

Wow.  I wish I never opened that link!  It has to be EXHAUSTING to be offended so easily.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2016, 10:16:20 PM »
« Edited: September 07, 2016, 10:31:55 PM by Simfan34 »

Wow.  I wish I never opened that link!  It has to be EXHAUSTING to be offended so easily.

"Exhausting" is definitely a word I have seen unironically used by such people in this context, although they usually claimed to have been worn out by the constant injustice, or something of this sort. This meant, by extension, keeping pace with all the things which were supposed to engender a sense of righteous outrage, and who had fallen out of favor by falling afoul of the the outlook I mentioned previously. It was made to sound rather physically taxing.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2016, 10:28:36 PM »

Wow.  I wish I never opened that link!  It has to be EXHAUSTING to be offended so easily.

"Exhausting" is definitely a word I have seen unironically used by such people in this context, although they usually claimed to have been worn out by the constant injustice, or something of this sort. This meant, by extension, keeping pace with all the things which were supposed to engender a sense of righteous outrage, and who had fallen out of favor by falling afoul of the the outlook I mentioned previously. It was made to sound rather physically taxing.

Spending all that time trying to figure out if everything is a manifestation of white supremacy and therefore something to complain about seems like it would be physically taxing.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2016, 10:32:05 PM »
« Edited: September 07, 2016, 10:35:29 PM by Simfan34 »

But can you blame them? The exigencies of intersectional progressive thought in 2016 pull people in contradictory, opposing directions. Take this interview of Priyanka Chopra from the same website:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

This is obviously wrong, according to the required world view. Colorblindedness is at best naive and at worst-- which here means "actually"-- is a means of perpetuating white privilege and the oppression of people of color (see here). (As an aside I would like to register my continuing objection to the usurpation of the term "brown people", which clearly is supposed to refer to South Asians, by Hispanics; also note the capitalization of "Black".)

Chopra falls into language of "all women", which marginalizes the experiences of Black and brown women, and veers dangerously close to the invisibilizing sloganeering of "All Lives Matter".

Yet the same website not only fails to condemn her, but paints her in a positive light! A right winger can almost sympathise for the poor "woke" progressive who tries to keep up with it all; if not empathise outright, thanks to Donald Trump. Also, Idris Elba should obviously be the next James Bond.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2016, 10:50:29 PM »

This meant, by extension, keeping pace with all the things which were supposed to engender a sense of righteous outrage, and who had fallen out of favor by falling afoul of the the outlook I mentioned previously. It was made to sound rather physically taxing.

Exactly why I've given up on this sort of politics/'activism' (so-called) despite still having some sympathy for (parts of) its theoretical underpinnings.
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2016, 11:32:17 PM »

Her standup special from a few years ago "Mostly Sex Stuff" was hilariously laugh out loud funny. I saw a few episodes of her Comedy Central show but soon lost interest. She was so vile and gross during her monologue when she hosted SNL I was surprised they allowed it to air. So aside from SNL she is awesome.

I don't get the Lena Dunham hate. She's the voice of her generation, she said that herself and I tend to believe it.
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2016, 11:43:25 PM »

Her standup special from a few years ago "Mostly Sex Stuff" was hilariously laugh out loud funny. I saw a few episodes of her Comedy Central show but soon lost interest. She was so vile and gross during her monologue when she hosted SNL I was surprised they allowed it to air. So aside from SNL she is awesome.

I don't get the Lena Dunham hate. She's the voice of her generation, she said that herself and I tend to believe it.

People claim she molested her sister.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies