Politico: Five reasons Hillary could be blowing it
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 08:48:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Politico: Five reasons Hillary could be blowing it
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Politico: Five reasons Hillary could be blowing it  (Read 1850 times)
ericpolitico
Rookie
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 06, 2016, 08:48:36 PM »

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/09/is-hillary-clinton-losing-227774

1. Trump’s listening.
2. Clinton made her campaign exclusively about Trump. Bad idea.
3. Donald Trump flip-flopped on immigration (then re-flipped) and his voters don’t seem to care.
4. Shaky foundation.
5. It might just be a blip.

Any thought folks?
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2016, 08:56:14 PM »

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/09/is-hillary-clinton-losing-227774

1. Trump’s listening.
2. Clinton made her campaign exclusively about Trump. Bad idea.
3. Donald Trump flip-flopped on immigration (then re-flipped) and his voters don’t seem to care.
4. Shaky foundation.
5. It might just be a blip.

Any thought folks?

1. lol
2. Look at her website and you'll see that it isn't
3. How is this good?
4. Please
5. One outlier and every other poll is in the past, including those that came out concurrently
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2016, 08:58:26 PM »

The media has made the election all about Trump.

The other four are just editorialized opinions.
Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2016, 09:08:26 PM »

The majority of the public despise her and consider her the epitome of an opportunist. She's lucky she's going up against the oompa loompa.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2016, 09:19:50 PM »

If the Republicans had nominated ANY of the other 16 candidates, this election would be long-over.  Hillary only has a chance- and I'm not sure it's a good one- because she is facing Trump.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2016, 09:21:54 PM »

If the Republicans had nominated ANY of the other 16 candidates, this election would be long-over.  Hillary only has a chance- and I'm not sure it's a good one- because she is facing Trump.

I think Ted Cruz would be doing much worse than Trump,  the guy has zero appeal outside of evangelicals.  

Jeb Bush probably wouldn't be doing much better either, although I gotta say at least he'd have an actual campaign operation.   But that would be equaled out by the fact that he simply can't really "campaign" himself.

Ben Carson would've been equally hilarious to watch as Trump is now.   Carson really was an emperor with no cloths,  he knew nothing.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2016, 09:22:48 PM »

I would've voted for Kasich, but you guys insisted on giving us a fascist demagogue instead. Who figured? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2016, 09:26:19 PM »

If the Republicans had nominated ANY of the other 16 candidates, this election would be long-over.  Hillary only has a chance- and I'm not sure it's a good one- because she is facing Trump.

I disagree. Maybe Kasich, but Hillary was polling ahead of the others.

I would've voted for Kasich, but you guys insisted on giving us a fascist demagogue instead. Who figured? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

If I was a Republican I would have voted for Kasich as well. He was the only normal one on that stage.

KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2016, 09:29:24 PM »

I would probably have voted Kasich too
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2016, 09:34:19 PM »

The majority of the public despise her and consider her the epitome of an opportunist. She's lucky she's going up against the oompa loompa.

Slow clap.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2016, 09:38:26 PM »

It wouldn't surprise me if the postmortem by the media didn't latch on to Trump's claims of fraud. Those writing Hillary off are incredibly unwise to do so.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2016, 09:43:01 PM »

12 reasons why clickbait is cancer.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2016, 09:44:50 PM »

I think Rubio would have been the best Republican or as good as Kasich. Kasich would have been a more palpable mainstream Republican. Rubio would have been the perfect W 2.0. It would have that risk but at least it was something Republicans knew how to play.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2016, 09:48:02 PM »

So Hillary is blowing it because of things Trump's doing? The perfect metaphor for media coverage of this election. They couldn't even make an article about Hillary, about Hillary.

1. Hillary's not appealing to working class white voters, and there are a lot of them.
2. America's party system is turning into a South Africa-style race-based system.
3. The media is giving Trump free press (e.g., all three networks covering his rally, none covering hers if it's at the same time), and holding Clinton to a higher standard.
4. Hillary hasn't cut ties to her foundation.
5. Hillary's not appealing to working class white voters, and there are a lot of them.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2016, 09:50:39 PM »

2. America's party system is turning into a South Africa-style race-based system.

Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2016, 09:56:54 PM »

It's your region, BRTD. He's leading 52-30 in the Midwest and pulling 62% of the two party white vote nationwide. Clinton's favorables among whites is 30%, the lowest ever for a major party nominee. By jettisoning some conservative economic ideas and the religious element, Trump has effectively erased the wedges that were preventing the (non college) white vote from coalescing into a relatively unified racial bloc. The Pat Buchananite dream is becoming a reality.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2016, 10:00:17 PM »

It's your region, BRTD. He's leading 52-30 in the Midwest

How does leading 52-30 translate to this:

and pulling 62% of the two party white vote nationwide. Clinton's favorables among whites is 30%, the lowest ever for a major party nominee. By jettisoning some conservative economic ideas and the religious element, Trump has effectively erased the wedges that were preventing the (non college) white vote from coalescing into a relatively unified racial bloc. The Pat Buchananite dream is becoming a reality.

Uhuh. Cite for that 62%? That's also only 5 points better than Romney.

Now meanwhile in South Africa the DA won 93% of the white vote last election. Clearly comparable.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2016, 10:02:22 PM »

It's your region, BRTD. He's leading 52-30 in the Midwest and pulling 62% of the two party white vote nationwide. Clinton's favorables among whites is 30%, the lowest ever for a major party nominee. By jettisoning some conservative economic ideas and the religious element, Trump has effectively erased the wedges that were preventing the (non college) white vote from coalescing into a relatively unified racial bloc. The Pat Buchananite dream is becoming a reality.

Those numbers in the Midwest are clearly crap, because there is no way he could lead there by that much. It's statistically impossible because of Illinois and Michigan.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2016, 10:03:39 PM »

Those numbers in the Midwest are clearly crap, because there is no way he could lead there by that much. It's statistically impossible because of Illinois and Michigan.

And Mini Soda
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2016, 10:06:03 PM »

Even if these numbers were real (they aren't) this would still make Trump's 2016 victory a one time thing.

Both the white vote and the non-college white vote are shrinking each election.   If this is the coalition Trump has put together for Republicans he's doomed them all the same.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2016, 10:07:31 PM »
« Edited: September 06, 2016, 10:09:15 PM by Beet »

The latest CNN poll has Trump up 54-33 among whites. That is 62% of the two party vote.

The 52-30 is from the CNN poll also. I don't know how that translates into states.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2016, 10:15:45 PM »

The latest CNN poll has Trump up 54-33 among whites. That is 62% of the two party vote.

The 52-30 is from the CNN poll also. I don't know how that translates into states.

It's ridiculous, to the extent that it doesn't merit analysis or pearl-clutching.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2016, 11:56:18 PM »

This photographer had no idea what was about to happen next!

The World was not ready for the dress she wore!

Washington drivers, you NEED to know about this new insurance rule!

How to Date Natalie Dormer
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2016, 12:37:22 AM »

LMAO! Clinton hasn't stopped talking about policy since she launched her campaign. It's the Beltway media who are obsessed with Trump and stuff like the e-mails and the Clinton Foundation.
These guys at Politico are projecting even more than The Donald.
Arbitrage1980
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2016, 12:56:07 AM »

Trump vs Clinton is the worst presidential match-up in American  history.  Both are unfit to be President.  And yes, if the GOP had nominated pretty much anyone else besides Trump, we would be winning by 10+ points. Kasich or Rubio at the top of the ticket with a strong VP would be a repeat of Reagan 1980.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies