US Job Openings Reach Record High
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 12:50:33 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Economics (Moderator: Torie)
  US Job Openings Reach Record High
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: US Job Openings Reach Record High  (Read 1753 times)
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 07, 2016, 12:54:32 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

source
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2016, 01:05:41 PM »

Good, but they are probably not there where the unemployed are ...

Here in Austria for example we have the problem that most unemployed are in the cities (especially Vienna) but there are many jobs available in the Western states such as Salzburg. And because nobody wants to re-locate, the unemployed remain unemployed and the companies cannot find the people they need ...
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2016, 01:20:23 PM »

Do we know what the specific fields with the highest openings were?

It's clear, Tender, that more needs to be done to have a more even geographical distribution of economic growth and job creation. While the trend is more pronounced in other countries (both developed countries like France and the UK, or emerging economies like Thailand), there has been a clear concentration of job growth since the recession in a few cities. Previously regional companies, in a longer trend, have also moved their headquarters from second- and third-tier cities to the major centers, intensifying this trend.

We need to do more in the US to ensure that these regional cities are places younger, educated people are willing to work and live, and, as such, where companies can draw from a competitive labor pool. This deals with cultural and social amenities, but, on a more basic level, it is an issue of the urban pattern and housing, which the former issues depend on. Faceless, soulless suburbia is not a draw for young people, but neither are ill-conceived transit schemes or business development corporation-devised astroturf cultural initiatives.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2016, 03:18:09 PM »

As I've said many times, HR policies in the United States are messed up and do not promote filling positions. Of particular concern is inflexibility with regards to the requirements of the position, which make the candidate pool unnecessarily small. I've often looked at computer programmer requisitions and wondered if there were even anybody in the world that met all of their requirements, given how exacting and specific many of them were.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2016, 10:52:41 AM »

As I've said many times, HR policies in the United States are messed up and do not promote filling positions. Of particular concern is inflexibility with regards to the requirements of the position, which make the candidate pool unnecessarily small. I've often looked at computer programmer requisitions and wondered if there were even anybody in the world that met all of their requirements, given how exacting and specific many of them were.

If you're looking at professional openings in the public sector, a large share of openings are listed only because of laws or policies that require hiring practices to be non-discriminatory, when in reality the job description was written for the sake of a specific person. The entire application and interviewing process becomes a hollow exercise that is completed only for the sake of following the law's letter.

This is so common, even for non-senior positions, that the career office at my MPA program trained graduating students to recognize these listings so that they wouldn't waste time applying for openings that didn't really exist in the first place.

In tech what is also driving this trend is at times a desire to hire someone on an H1-B visa; overly demanding requirements enable firms to turn around and say that they're unable to fill the opening domestically.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2016, 02:45:40 PM »

If you're looking at professional openings in the public sector, a large share of openings are listed only because of laws or policies that require hiring practices to be non-discriminatory, when in reality the job description was written for the sake of a specific person. The entire application and interviewing process becomes a hollow exercise that is completed only for the sake of following the law's letter.

Actually, in many cases there is a real application/interviewing process before the job is advertised. It is not that they do not want a proper process to run, it is that, for some reasons (frequently union-related) they cannot enforce the requirements they really need. So, they, first, do a selection on criteria they care about and then advertise a job description, fitting just the guy they chose (but often not mentioning at all, why they chose him).

It is, actually, worse in Europe, where the civil service rules are even more restrictive.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2016, 04:01:52 PM »
« Edited: October 19, 2016, 04:03:31 PM by Simfan34 »

Actually, in many cases there is a real application/interviewing process before the job is advertised. It is not that they do not want a proper process to run, it is that, for some reasons (frequently union-related) they cannot enforce the requirements they really need. So, they, first, do a selection on criteria they care about and then advertise a job description, fitting just the guy they chose (but often not mentioning at all, why they chose him).

It is, actually, worse in Europe, where the civil service rules are even more restrictive.

Well civil service positions would, be definition always filled internally, no? Certain posts might potentially be filled (and contested) by political appointees or civil servants, but posts within a civil service?
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2016, 08:53:15 PM »

Well civil service positions would, be definition always filled internally, no? Certain posts might potentially be filled (and contested) by political appointees or civil servants, but posts within a civil service?

Yeah that seems odd.

Where I live, civil service ads are mostly on the high or low ends because the mid level positions rarely make it out of the internal process.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2016, 09:32:45 PM »

This is so common, even for non-senior positions, that the career office at my MPA program trained graduating students to recognize these listings so that they wouldn't waste time applying for openings that didn't really exist in the first place.

This is something I have experience with. I work for a public sector employer that is required to post all requisitions for public consideration. Despite this, they often know exactly who they want to fill it. It's a real waste of time since people fill out pointless applications and employees waste time reading them all to go through the motions of a rigged game.

When an FTE position became available in my unit and it was predetermined that I would be the one to get it, I wasn't really bothered (though I did pity the other people) because I'd been the sucker enough times before that. In one case I ended up in a second in-person interview where I met with nine different people over the course of three hours for a position that I had no chance to get. That was a real waste of time all around.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2016, 09:39:04 PM »

This is something I have experience with. I work for a public sector employer that is required to post all requisitions for public consideration. Despite this, they often know exactly who they want to fill it. It's a real waste of time since people fill out pointless applications and employees waste time reading them all to go through the motions of a rigged game.

When an FTE position became available in my unit and it was predetermined that I would be the one to get it, I wasn't really bothered (though I did pity the other people) because I'd been the sucker enough times before that. In one case I ended up in a second in-person interview where I met with nine different people over the course of three hours for a position that I had no chance to get. That was a real waste of time all around.

But was the nine person event with the current employer? I've seen cases where someone is put through the paces really looking at them for a different future opening.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2016, 11:12:19 PM »

Let me give you the example I know best.

University professorships are civil service jobs in Europe. Attempting to follow the rules on those would result in, at best, mediocrity. Furthermore, hiring to a civil service job means impossibility of US-style tenure track - effectively, everybody in such a job (including not only faculty, but even secretaries) has protections similar to US tenure.

Well, good departments routinely go around these sorts of things, by combinining extensive use of "visiting" positions and the tricks like the ones discussed here to make appointments of those selected in a real search process. It is all highly questionable from the standpoint of the law, but not doing it would simply kill European universities, at least as serious research centers, within 20 years.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2016, 11:20:22 PM »

Yeah that seems odd.

Where I live, civil service ads are mostly on the high or low ends because the mid level positions rarely make it out of the internal process.

I am, obviously, talking something  like high end, though not very top. Places like research departments of government offices, university professorships and such are in a bind. These places want to hire young guys with advanced degrees. People like that cannot be hired at the very junior level (nobody good would even apply), but low enough to allow for decades of career growth. So, what do you do? Hiring internally those starting at the very bottom is only possible if those people are to be given years off to complete their training. Hiring externally is not normally allowed.

In fact, sometimes different departments of the same institution would have very different needs at the same level. Institutional rules may force the general educational requirements to be the same across a fairly large segment of jobs. But a particular division may need somebody with a Ph.D., without being able to require it. So instead they would specify that the guy has to be a specialist in whateve that particular guy they have chosen has spent the previous 5 years researching. Not because they need that particular expertise, but because that is the filter they are allowed.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies