Who won the Commander in Chief forum?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 08:33:13 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Who won the Commander in Chief forum?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: -skip-
Clinton

Trump

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 119

Author Topic: Who won the Commander in Chief forum?  (Read 7576 times)
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2016, 09:10:28 PM »

Who are the 10 people who voted Trump?

I mean she obviously won the forum itself, but I based my vote on who gets coverage, positive or negative, and I believe Clinton will continue to dominate headlines with whatever she said about "muh emails", and whenever that happens, her numbers go down.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2016, 09:14:58 PM »

"The people who arranged the trip in Mexico have been forced out of government. That’s how well we did.” — Donald Trump

Republicans, WHY DID YOU NOMINATE THIS GUY.
He wasn't my choice. I still don't know why we did.

He's your choice now, so you've lost that moral high ground.
Senator-elect Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: 0.00

P P P
« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2016, 09:22:36 PM »

Trump and it wasn't close
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2016, 09:27:50 PM »

"The people who arranged the trip in Mexico have been forced out of government. That’s how well we did.” — Donald Trump

He wasn't my choice. I still don't know why we did.

He's your choice now, so you've lost that moral high ground.

If you're of a conservative persuasion, there's not much of a choice to make. You could support Gary Johnson and he wouldn't be terrible, but he also has a 0% chance of winning.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2016, 10:32:33 PM »

When you are in a polarized situation and you believe firmly in x, y, and z, it is very difficult to punt and surrender all of that because of concerns about Trump.

It easy for Democrats to presume otherwise, because 1) they think x, y, and z are wrong, 2) they think most Republicans either hold said positions because they are wrong or evil, and 3) most Republicans they know don't hold those positions.

Most Republicans are pro-life, most Republicans are pro-gun. Most believe that borders matter and want immigration laws to be taken seriously. Most want Supreme Court Justices that think a certain way on certain issues. Most think that both of the Clintons are crooked and should be locked up. There is little to no basis to go that person and say "make Clinton the default choice", because Trump said this or did that. There are Democrats who could make that pitch, though fewer now than in the past. Tim Kaine, I think could make that pitch if he were the nominee instead of Clinton. In fact, both VA Senators could.

The vast majority of Republicans will vote for Trump, I think the absolute worst he would do if he just utterly implodes is 75% of them. Right now it is going to be somewhere in the 80s and if he pulls it together enough he could get over 90% in a winning scenario.

The reason Trump is the nominee even while most right leaning people on this forum hate his guts, is because the demographics that make up the GOP and compose a vast majority of it, are not represented by the people on this forum, the people in the DC or media bubbles. Until the establishment reconnects with their party where it is and not where it was in 1980 and 2004 and where they would like it to be, this will only keep happening.
‼realJohnEwards‼
MatteKudasai
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.87

« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2016, 10:50:10 PM »

When you are in a polarized situation and you believe firmly in x, y, and z, it is very difficult to punt and surrender all of that because of concerns about Trump.

It easy for Democrats to presume otherwise, because 1) they think x, y, and z are wrong, 2) they think most Republicans either hold said positions because they are wrong or evil, and 3) most Republicans they know don't hold those positions.

Most Republicans are pro-life, most Republicans are pro-gun. Most believe that borders matter and want immigration laws to be taken seriously. Most want Supreme Court Justices that think a certain way on certain issues. Most think that both of the Clintons are crooked and should be locked up. There is little to no basis to go that person and say "make Clinton the default choice", because Trump said this or did that. There are Democrats who could make that pitch, though fewer now than in the past. Tim Kaine, I think could make that pitch if he were the nominee instead of Clinton. In fact, both VA Senators could.

The vast majority of Republicans will vote for Trump, I think the absolute worst he would do if he just utterly implodes is 75% of them. Right now it is going to be somewhere in the 80s and if he pulls it together enough he could get over 90% in a winning scenario.

The reason Trump is the nominee even while most right leaning people on this forum hate his guts, is because the demographics that make up the GOP and compose a vast majority of it, are not represented by the people on this forum, the people in the DC or media bubbles. Until the establishment reconnects with their party where it is and not where it was in 1980 and 2004 and where they would like it to be, this will only keep happening.
51% (and that includes the post-IN races) is not a "vast majority".
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #31 on: September 07, 2016, 11:06:49 PM »

Reading only the transcript, I think both of them did well generally, but Trump stumbled when he started talking about "taking the oil." He seemed to almost suggest having troops on the ground to harvest the oil. Him claiming to have been against the Iraq war may have been a mistake, but only if he's called out for lying and people go and check the record. As for Clinton, Lauer came out with some very tough questions right out of the gate, and she acquitted herself just about as well as she could have. Her answers were also more detailed than Trump's.
AndyHogan14

Political Matrix
E: -4.00, S: -6.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #32 on: September 07, 2016, 11:26:24 PM »

Is it just me or did Trump not really answer ANY of the questions? He spent the entire time attacking Clinton, Obama, and to a lesser extent Kerry. Sure, Hillary went after Trump, but not nearly as much and her answers were largely substantive.
Stockdale for Veep

« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2016, 12:04:48 AM »

Is it just me or did Trump not really answer ANY of the questions? He spent the entire time attacking Clinton, Obama, and to a lesser extent Kerry. Sure, Hillary went after Trump, but not nearly as much and her answers were largely substantive.
I think we can all agree that Trump does have the best word salad.
ursulahx
United Kingdom

« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2016, 06:36:55 AM »

A lot depends how you define "winning" but I've read Trump's answer to the 'secret plan' and it's hilarious. What might stick out more, however, are his praise for Putin and his belief that he can just sack generals on a whim. I don't think either of those things will go down well with undecided voters.

But I don't know what clips cable news is playing, so that ultimately might determine it.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2016, 08:22:54 AM »

You could support Gary Johnson and he wouldn't be terrible, but he also has a 0% chance of winning.

If you say it enough times it becomes true.

I'm starting to lean toward Johnson.  Originally I was looking at Hedges, or Lyttle.  Even Mimi or some of the left-wing nuts.  Then the ballot came out and according to the Pennsylvania secretary of state website, there are only five candidates on our ballots:  Trump, Clinton, Johnson, Castle, and Stein.  Pretty weak.  I've seen as many as 12 and as few as 3, so I guess 5 isn't bad.  Many states have legitimate write-in candidates.  California, in particular, often has a list of hundreds of legitimate write-ins.  I've searched thoroughly and as far as I can tell, that does not exist in Pennsylvania.  There may be a spot for write-in on the ballot--I can't remember from last time--but I can find no list of sanctioned, legitimate write-in candidates for Pennsylvania.  In that case, I'll choose from among those five, and among those five the only one I can stomach is Johnson.  I'm probably not the only one.  Hell, Johnson is doing better than Trump on this forum's mock election.  We may end up with a situation in which Clinton gets 538 electoral votes, with Trump and Johnson each getting about 30% of the popular vote nationwide.  Not likely, but possible. It's not ideal:  we'd have a weak plurality president for four years with little or no mandate to govern, and one that many people do not like, but in the long term it could be better than allowing the Democrats and Republicans to continue to assume that voters are unaware of, or blind to, the many other choices.

For the OP:  don't know; didn't watch.  This shtick is for voters who still haven't made up their minds between these two candidates.  I've made up my mind that I don't like either one.  I did read the WaPo article about it and watched their "highlights" which made Trump look like an idiot and made Clinton come off as well-informed, but that's not a particularly difficult thing to do.

Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #36 on: September 08, 2016, 08:36:37 AM »

The comments from Trump on "tak[ing] on oil" were quite frankly bizarre.

Doesn't this describe most Trump comments, when they're not massaged by the media to appear like coherent English?
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #37 on: September 08, 2016, 09:56:44 AM »

A lot depends how you define "winning" but I've read Trump's answer to the 'secret plan' and it's hilarious. What might stick out more, however, are his praise for Putin and his belief that he can just sack generals on a whim. I don't think either of those things will go down well with undecided voters.

But I don't know what clips cable news is playing, so that ultimately might determine it.

Here's the relevant section:
http://time.com/4483355/commander-chief-forum-clinton-trump-intrepid/
You must be logged in to read this quote.

My takeaway from this is, again,  that TrumpMillerBarron is insane. Not "I really don't like his politics" insane, but "suffering cognitive impairment to the point that he can barely speak coherently" insane.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #38 on: September 08, 2016, 10:21:33 AM »

Trump, for getting away with what he did.
pho
iheartpho
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -1.39

« Reply #39 on: September 08, 2016, 11:20:48 AM »

Trump went full retard, so Clinton by default
txguitar

« Reply #40 on: September 08, 2016, 02:01:24 PM »

I just saw Trump on TV today, the morning after the forum and all he could talk about was
Hillary's email. I guess that's all Trump/ Repubs have on Hillary is the email scandal.
And they have really gotten some mileage out of it.  I wonder when the public will
finally get enough of this BS and tell the media to move on, I'm sick of hearing about
the emails. 
Erich Maria Remarque
LittleBigPlanet
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #41 on: September 08, 2016, 02:07:14 PM »

I just saw Trump on TV today, the morning after the forum and all he could talk about was
Hillary's email. I guess that's all Trump/ Repubs have on Hillary is the email scandal.
And they have really gotten some mileage out of it.  I wonder when the public will
finally get enough of this BS and tell the media to move on, I'm sick of hearing about
the emails. 
If you have something on your opponent that works really well and you don't use it, you are not very smart, aren't you?

Emails works VERY WELL.

It's not rocket science.
Baki
Rookie
Croatia

« Reply #42 on: September 08, 2016, 03:15:07 PM »

the emails. 
If you have something on your opponent that works really well and you don't use it, you are not very smart, aren't you?

Emails works VERY WELL.

It's not rocket science.

For Donald, it doesn't have to be.
Andrew
United States

« Reply #43 on: September 08, 2016, 06:46:05 PM »

I can find no list of sanctioned, legitimate write-in candidates for Pennsylvania.

Pennsylvania is one of the states that doesn't require write-in candidates to register in advance.  Their laws require voters who are writing in a candidate for U.S. President to actually list all the names of all the electors for that candidate--but the secretary of state has admitted that that would not hold up in court and it is not something that has been enforced.  I believe that Pennsylvania usually doesn't count write-in votes unless the candidate requests it.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #44 on: September 08, 2016, 08:09:03 PM »

Well, isn't the main point of US foreign policy to piss off neighbors and destroy friends? I mean, how can you feel masculine, if you are not hated by everybody around you.

Our idiot Treasury Secretary has been, indeed, forced out. Considering that he was the only guy in Mexico who thought one could work with Trump, it is the real achievement.
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #45 on: September 09, 2016, 12:44:44 AM »

I know who lost it:  Matt Lauer.

Matt, honey, you better keep your day job.  You're not ready for prime time.
Erich Maria Remarque
LittleBigPlanet
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #46 on: September 09, 2016, 05:37:39 AM »

Should not Dems wait for the polls?

Because:

Hillary shot the Trump Campaign in Reno, Just to watch it die.../Clinton address in Reno to focus on Trump's ties to Alt-Right/White Nationalism

Lol. Just the title itself...

https://twitter.com/jbouie/status/768895942829277184
Republicans staying home... music to my ears.

The best part of this speech is that every claim is rooted in a factual aspect of Trump's campaign. There is no way out without admitting to these aspects or to change them altogether so that the speech is no longer valid, but then doing that is acknowledging everything she claimed from the get-go. This was a powerful and laser point speech.

Every post looks more or less like this...

Trump goes to Mexico

The Senators in Mexico are in disbelief that trump is in their country.
Some are speaking out in front of media cameras, and condemning the meeting, and basically calling trump a disgusting human being.
Almost everyone in Mexico wants him to leave immediately.
How can this possibly look good for him ? No politician has been rejected by the Mexican people at this high level, in recent history.

Trump will nake a major speech on immigration in Arizona on Wednesday.

He destroyed any outreach he had attempted with the minorities tonight. Full on uneducated whites is now his focus.

He basically tried to pivot for a little over a week. At the beginning, Hillary stepped on his shoes, but he still tried even though he was already limping.

Today, after his astounding failure in Mexico, he basically threw his hands up and figured that he's only good to go for the white supremacist/nationalist vote. Thus, the speech at Arizona.

Whoever was on the fence or was thinking about going to the fence, has now been kicked off essentially.

Going into Labor Day weekend, people who will tune in will see this speech and his failure in Mexico as a reaffirmation of what they had been suspecting for over a year now. He's a candidate without temperament who only appeals to fear, has no substance, and has no interest in pragmatic or level-headed government or approaches.

It's all about the extreme, and that's a huge turnoff for moderates, swing voters, center-oriented Rs, and undecided independents.

I hope, I got my point across...
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #47 on: September 09, 2016, 05:53:59 AM »

Should not Dems wait for the polls?

Because:

Hillary shot the Trump Campaign in Reno, Just to watch it die.../Clinton address in Reno to focus on Trump's ties to Alt-Right/White Nationalism

Lol. Just the title itself...

https://twitter.com/jbouie/status/768895942829277184
Republicans staying home... music to my ears.

The best part of this speech is that every claim is rooted in a factual aspect of Trump's campaign. There is no way out without admitting to these aspects or to change them altogether so that the speech is no longer valid, but then doing that is acknowledging everything she claimed from the get-go. This was a powerful and laser point speech.

Every post looks more or less like this...

Trump goes to Mexico

The Senators in Mexico are in disbelief that trump is in their country.
Some are speaking out in front of media cameras, and condemning the meeting, and basically calling trump a disgusting human being.
Almost everyone in Mexico wants him to leave immediately.
How can this possibly look good for him ? No politician has been rejected by the Mexican people at this high level, in recent history.

Trump will nake a major speech on immigration in Arizona on Wednesday.

He destroyed any outreach he had attempted with the minorities tonight. Full on uneducated whites is now his focus.

He basically tried to pivot for a little over a week. At the beginning, Hillary stepped on his shoes, but he still tried even though he was already limping.

Today, after his astounding failure in Mexico, he basically threw his hands up and figured that he's only good to go for the white supremacist/nationalist vote. Thus, the speech at Arizona.

Whoever was on the fence or was thinking about going to the fence, has now been kicked off essentially.

Going into Labor Day weekend, people who will tune in will see this speech and his failure in Mexico as a reaffirmation of what they had been suspecting for over a year now. He's a candidate without temperament who only appeals to fear, has no substance, and has no interest in pragmatic or level-headed government or approaches.

It's all about the extreme, and that's a huge turnoff for moderates, swing voters, center-oriented Rs, and undecided independents.

I hope, I got my point across...

So you are banking on enough people just wanting to vote for the Donald no matter what he does?
Erich Maria Remarque
LittleBigPlanet
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #48 on: September 09, 2016, 06:05:52 AM »

So you are banking on enough people just wanting to vote for the Donald no matter what he does?

Yeah, yeah. Those who vote for Trump are just stupid racists/fascists. I've got it!

My point was, that someone lives in the bubble.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies