thoughts and musings
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 05:14:48 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  thoughts and musings
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: thoughts and musings  (Read 765 times)
freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 07, 2016, 10:04:35 PM »

As some of you know, I posted a rant four years ago here: https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=158425.msg3405535#msg3405535

Now, I was still forming my political views and I've started to identify what bothers me and what doesn't. One of the things I dislike about the democrats is not women qua women but rather the loss of local-minded politicians. Guys like Emanuel Celler would, for instance, come home to Brooklyn on the weekend and have constituent services in his house, often uninvited. It seems in those days, almost everyone in the district knew you by name and what not.

This is the point the pro-term limit people miss. It prevents you from getting to know your congressman and instead - leads to a sort of Manchurian Candidate type of thing. I also think the OMG HILLARY CLINTON IS CORRUPT people also miss the point. It's not that she's corrupt per se but that she seems manufactured. Guys like Jim Wright and Rosty were corrupt - but they were also guys who were friendly and not the type to be so caged in there responses and have a kajillion consultants telling them what to say. While it is true that neither Wright nor Rosty had much private sector experience - they seem like the type of guys who would have been working in the private sector had they not held elected office. They didn't have the sort of overeducated air to them that Clinton had.

Also, I'm of the view that ideology is the problem and that politicians should focus more on cutting ribbons, and bringing home public works projects. This is what I call "town and gown" issues. Looking at old almanacs, it is mentioned that a lot of older congressman dislike having Nader and his cohorts showing up to committee hearings and flooding the house/senate members offices. It seems that what Nader did was to change the house from a "all politics is local" type of deal to a pet-issues heavy legislative body.

This kind of factors also into education, for whatever reason people who are "educated" tend to be more partisan than those without an education and it seems that less educated people who are not stupid per se but have a modicum of common sense seem to be more reasonable in voting. It also seems that they are more likely to want the kind of "town and gown" type figure rather than a miseducated wonk. This ties back to the fact that the "educated" states of Colorado and Virginia seem to have less of the "town and gown" type of pols and the more overeducated NGO-manufactured type of candidate seems more the case. These type of people are also married to people who are also part of that class and its rare that they met there spouse in a non-governmental way (i.e. working at the same manufacturing business).

Now, do these trends have anything to do with the rise of women in politics (especially in the democrats)? I don't know, but it does seem too much of a coincidence that the rise of "pet issue politics" happened at the same time second-wave feminism began. It seems for whatever reason that women pols don't have the sort of "old school pork-barrel" type of feel to them (not that many male pols are like that either anymore but most of the remaining town and gown dems are male). Mary Landrieu, when she was in office, seemed like the only dem that fit that description.

Anyone here agree with me or sense what I'm getting at?

Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2016, 06:23:55 AM »

what the christ
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2016, 07:21:50 AM »

hillery pls delete
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2016, 10:40:52 AM »

I read the OP three times over and I still don't know what the fck you're talking about.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2016, 10:59:14 AM »

I know what you're talking about freepcrusher. I think you're talking about transactional politics, the type of politics that is like a business - you give me X in exchange for Y, is that right? The type that old political machines used to do. It wasn't about being liberal or conservative but just using government to get your piece of the pie.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2016, 11:13:51 AM »

One of the things I dislike about the democrats is not women qua women

Hoo boy.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Why? Why do you call it that?
freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2016, 06:23:11 PM »

I know what you're talking about freepcrusher. I think you're talking about transactional politics, the type of politics that is like a business - you give me X in exchange for Y, is that right? The type that old political machines used to do. It wasn't about being liberal or conservative but just using government to get your piece of the pie.

bingo
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2016, 07:11:55 PM »

And the rising political influence of women factors into this, how exactly? Roll Eyes
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.52

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2016, 07:53:31 PM »

bingo

So who's supposed to decide the size of the pie? Or who's going to pay for the pie? Or what the pie is paying for?
freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2016, 08:07:24 PM »

And the rising political influence of women factors into this, how exactly? Roll Eyes

see I'm still undecided either way whether it has something to do with it or not. To me, it has more to do with the fact that the sort of "manufactured" kind of candidate tends to be a woman. I mean would you rather want someone like Scoop/Maggie or Patty Murray for a senator?
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2016, 08:14:02 PM »

see I'm still undecided either way whether it has something to do with it or not. To me, it has more to do with the fact that the sort of "manufactured" kind of candidate tends to be a woman. I mean would you rather want someone like Scoop/Maggie or Patty Murray for a senator?

Would you rather have Nancy Kassebaum or Jerry Moran?
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2016, 08:30:13 PM »

Scoop was scum, so that's an easy decision for me.
freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2016, 10:31:01 PM »

eh you have a point. I think this is more the case with democrats though. Republican women don't seem markedly different than republican men.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2016, 06:15:02 AM »

Patty Murray is a reliable, competent progressive footsoldier. Scoop was a self-important, race-baiting conservadem who was either useless or actively harmful to his party. Not sure exactly what your point is.
freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2016, 09:47:46 AM »

Patty Murray is a reliable, competent progressive footsoldier. Scoop was a self-important, race-baiting conservadem who was either useless or actively harmful to his party. Not sure exactly what your point is.

dude voted for civil rights. not sure what you're talking about.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies