American Solidarity Party platform (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 09:30:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  American Solidarity Party platform (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: opinion of the American Solidarity Party platform
FP
HP
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: American Solidarity Party platform  (Read 2240 times)
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« on: September 07, 2016, 11:20:07 PM »

http://www.solidarity-party.org/complete-platform

FP. I like that there is an attempt at a party with a consistent 'seamless garment' pro-life ethic.  Some of the economic proposals seem like they perhaps aren't so well thought out though I appreciate the generally distributist goals.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2016, 11:30:42 AM »

I thought this is some sort of American thing, don't you use that often?

Also, I must read their programme but after reading article on Wiki I can say: 10/10, would vote.

The phrase was developed in America during the WW2 era (not coincidentally) by those who wanted to emphasize the influence of the Jewish moral tradition on Christianity and on American civic tradition.  Others who see more differences than similarities take offense to the term.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2016, 12:25:36 PM »

Others who see more differences than similarities take offense to the term.

That's not really why I take exception to it. I take exception to it because it strikes me as a construct onto which specific denominations (or Christianity in general) can deflect responsibility. Its origin as a term had only the best intentions.

If you mean the term has been used to deny responsibility of Christians for any anti-Semitism in the past, I haven't seen it used that way.  The use of the term that I find problematic and has shown up in the past few years is when it's used to suggest that Islam is something inherently foreign and opposite to a shared Jewish-Christian tradition. In any case I don't think it makes sense to use the way a term has been misused as a reason to automatically dismiss the idea that people are trying to get across.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2016, 01:43:40 PM »

Others who see more differences than similarities take offense to the term.

That's not really why I take exception to it. I take exception to it because it strikes me as a construct onto which specific denominations (or Christianity in general) can deflect responsibility. Its origin as a term had only the best intentions.

If you mean the term has been used to deny responsibility of Christians for any anti-Semitism in the past, I haven't seen it used that way.  The use of the term that I find problematic and has shown up in the past few years is when it's used to suggest that Islam is something inherently foreign and opposite to a shared Jewish-Christian tradition. In any case I don't think it makes sense to use the way a term has been misused as a reason to automatically dismiss the idea that people are trying to get across.

Except it's clear in this example what message they are trying to get across.

I think so, yes. It hasn't anything to do with deflecting responsibility or promoting exclusivity.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2016, 09:50:10 PM »

A Christian democratic party proposing to compete in a multiparty political system in which both main parties are ostensibly secular and only one has any appreciable religiously-motivated faction is not 'theocracy'.

Sorry, I meant the party seems to have theocratic leanings, not the nation.

And by "theocratic" you mean having positions influenced by religion?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies