What would be that economic effect of this reform?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 10:06:32 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Economics (Moderator: Torie)
  What would be that economic effect of this reform?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What would be that economic effect of this reform?  (Read 551 times)
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 08, 2016, 05:55:21 AM »

A mandate that no individual salary in an organisation is more than 12 times higher than the lowest paid employee. Then require caps on all additional bonuses, payouts etc
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2016, 07:29:13 AM »

Let's say a typical CEO makes $10 million, and a lowest paid full time employee makes $10/hr. If we assume 40 hours a week and two weeks unpaid vacation, that works out to an average cap of $240k.

A few things I can see happening:

1) Firms would outsource low paid work to other firms, particularly in small to medium sized businesses in relatively high paying fields.

2) Owner managed businesses would shift their compensation from salary to dividends.

3) Large public companies would still compete for talent by offering whatever compensation is not covered in the law. What form that would take would depend on how the law is written.

I don't really see it having much of an effect on low wage employees given the relative number of top executives and low wage workers. Walmart increasing their cap by say $12,000 would cost a over $1 billion a year for example.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2016, 12:22:03 PM »

Let's say a typical CEO makes $10 million, and a lowest paid full time employee makes $10/hr. If we assume 40 hours a week and two weeks unpaid vacation, that works out to an average cap of $240k.

1) Firms would outsource low paid work to other firms, particularly in small to medium sized businesses in relatively high paying fields.

2) Owner managed businesses would shift their compensation from salary to dividends.

3) Large public companies would still compete for talent by offering whatever compensation is not covered in the law. What form that would take would depend on how the law is written.

I don't really see it having much of an effect on low wage employees given the relative number of top executives and low wage workers. Walmart increasing their cap by say $12,000 would cost a over $1 billion a year for example.

Nicely put.
warandwar
United States

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2016, 04:26:43 PM »

Haven't the first two already happened, to a degree?
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2016, 11:47:08 PM »

Haven't the first two already happened, to a degree?

Sure - for other reasons. But it only shows that it is easy to do. If you insist, it is not hard to make most rank-and-file employees work for "outside contractors".
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies