2008 Presidential-Battle of the Wisconsonites
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 05:58:34 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  2008 Presidential-Battle of the Wisconsonites
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Who do you pick?
Tommy Thompson/Jeb Bush

Ress Feingold/Hillary Clinton

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 30

Author Topic: 2008 Presidential-Battle of the Wisconsonites  (Read 1793 times)
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 27, 2005, 04:07:31 PM »

Tommy Thompson rules! Great Governor, too bad it seems he's retiering.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2005, 04:18:20 PM »

It's obvious who I'd support/big Thompson win.

Thompson - 331
Feingold - 207
Dave from Michigan
9iron768
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2005, 04:28:42 PM »

It's obvious who I'd support/big Thompson win.

Thompson - 331
Feingold - 207

Michigan would most likely go republican too.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2005, 05:55:36 PM »

Feingold wins 298-240

Feingold will do much better than most people think.  Has more charisma than Thompson, probably a bit more popular in Wisconsin than Tompson is as well.  Not to mention Jeb Bush as VP after 8 years straight of a Bush Presidency is going to hurt  Thompson more than Hillary Clinton being the VP will hurt Feingold.  Not to mention the Dems slight advantage in 08 due to one party control
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2005, 06:00:59 PM »

Feingold will do much better than most people think.  Has more charisma than Thompson, probably a bit more popular in Wisconsin than Tompson is as well.

Have you seen Thompson's numbers when he ran for re-election? He was in the mid 50s and even broke into the 60s once or twice.

And I love how all your maps are pretty much the same. You always have CO and NV going Dem.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2005, 06:05:19 PM »

Feingold will do much better than most people think.  Has more charisma than Thompson, probably a bit more popular in Wisconsin than Tompson is as well.

Have you seen Thompson's numbers when he ran for re-election? He was in the mid 50s and even broke into the 60s once or twice.

And I love how all your maps are pretty much the same. You always have CO and NV going Dem.

Quick, someone ask him how Al Sharpton/Dennis Kucinich would do against John McCain/Rudy Giuliani.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2005, 06:06:35 PM »

Quick, someone ask him how Al Sharpton/Dennis Kucinich would do against John McCain/Rudy Giuliani.

Well, he has admitted that McCain would win but has him as one of the very few Republicans that can win.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2005, 06:09:07 PM »

i think smash is correct in saying that Feingold would win, i just think it would a little closer then that.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2005, 06:16:52 PM »

Feinggold won his last election by 12 with limited funding.  More funding he has got in the past, but still rather limited funding.  Something which wouldn't be the vase in 2008 in a Presidential race.  I also think Jeb is going to hurt the GOP ticket considering that his brother was President for 8 straight years.  The Bush fatigue is going to hurt more than Clinton fatigue because of the 8 year difference as well & I think the 08 leans Dem as a whole because one party control tends to not last long.  I think Thompson is a pretty strong candidate could beat Hillary straight up, probably would beat Kerry if he ran again, could possibly beat Biden if he runs.  I think Russ Feingold is VERY underrated, and at of the Dems who have been talked about I would put him in the top 3 along with Bayh & Warner out of those who have the best chance to win a General Election.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2005, 06:22:43 PM »

Feinggold won his last election by 12 with limited funding.  More funding he has got in the past, but still rather limited funding.

In 1998, with more funding, he won by only two points. He'd lose Wisconsin to Thompson.

Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2005, 10:47:53 PM »

Feinggold won his last election by 12 with limited funding.  More funding he has got in the past, but still rather limited funding.

In 1998, with more funding, he won by only two points. He'd lose Wisconsin to Thompson.

In 98 he won by 2, in 04 he won by 12, whats your point?  Feingold is quite a bit more popular now than he was in 98.  Anyway the rest of my point stands that Thompson will be hurt by six years og one party control & also hurt by the Bush fatigue by having Jeb Bush as his VP right after George Bush's term.  The Clinton fatigue maybe exist to a point, but not to the extent the Bush fatigue will because of the 8 year difference
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2005, 10:49:29 PM »

Are saying Boxer could carry California in a presidential election? Sorry, senator != presidential material.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2005, 10:55:17 PM »

Are saying Boxer could carry California in a presidential election? Sorry, senator != presidential material.

Boxer would easily beat almost every Republican in CA. She'd narrowly beat Arnold, the only ones I'm unsure about are McCain and Guilani.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2005, 11:21:06 PM »

In 98 he won by 2, in 04 he won by 12, whats your point?  Feingold is quite a bit more popular now than he was in 98.  Anyway the rest of my point stands that Thompson will be hurt by six years og one party control & also hurt by the Bush fatigue by having Jeb Bush as his VP right after George Bush's term.  The Clinton fatigue maybe exist to a point, but not to the extent the Bush fatigue will because of the 8 year difference

Ok...once again (since you have a hard time understanding things) Feingold wouldn't win WI against someone who has never gotten below 53% of the vote there. Also note that Thompson has never gotten below 53% of the vote there and ran for Governor four times.

I'm tired of hearing your lame excuses for everything. Everything is always "Bush fatigue, charisma for Feingold..." You totally ignore important points regarding a specific state. Thompson is more popular in WI than Feingold. Thompson would win. Look at his past results. Acknowledge my point instead of just spewing your "Well there's Bush fatigue..." stuff.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2005, 11:24:58 PM »

By the way, here are the numbers:

1986 - 53%

1990 - 58%

1994 - 67%

1998  - 60%
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2005, 11:33:00 PM »

Ok...once again (since you have a hard time understanding things) Feingold wouldn't win WI against someone who has never gotten below 53% of the vote there. Also note that Thompson has never gotten below 53% of the vote there and ran for Governor four times.

I'm tired of hearing your lame excuses for everything. Everything is always "Bush fatigue, charisma for Feingold..." You totally ignore important points regarding a specific state. Thompson is more popular in WI than Feingold. Thompson would win. Look at his past results. Acknowledge my point instead of just spewing your "Well there's Bush fatigue..." stuff.

So you don't think Bush fatigue is going to result to some point.  Feingold right now has 63% Approval ratings. 

Also a point to the elections & spending.  In 1998 their was a $400,000 difference between what Feingold  & Neuwman spent in the Senate race.  However the difference isn the money spent in the Govenor's race was MUCH MUCH larger, TEN TIMES the amount a $4million difference between what Thompson spent compared to what Garvey spent during the 98 year
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2005, 12:05:34 AM »

So you don't think Bush fatigue is going to result to some point.

Not as much as you think. I also don't see that keeping Thompson from winning WI.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Wow. You just can't admit that Thompson was clearly more popular, can you? I guess I can totally discredit everything about Rendell since he had about twenty million more than his 2002 opponent, right? You're pathetic, Smash.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2005, 12:23:48 AM »

So you don't think Bush fatigue is going to result to some point.

Not as much as you think. I also don't see that keeping Thompson from winning WI.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Wow. You just can't admit that Thompson was clearly more popular, can you? I guess I can totally discredit everything about Rendell since he had about twenty million more than his 2002 opponent, right? You're pathetic, Smash.

Keyword there (was).  Anyway my whole point with that is you brought up how Thompson did then compare to how Feingold then.  Yes Thompson was more popular then, but part of the disparity in their respective election was also due to the $$$ spent factor, something that would pretty much be evened out in a Presidential election, that is part of what I was getting a.  Also Feingold is more popular now then he was back then.  He won by a fairly decent margin in 2004, but he also had a stronger opponent than what Thompson face in 98 (Michales was a better candidate han Garvey is).  Feingold's approval also contimues to rise, last poll had it at 63%.  Anyway if they went up against each other I think it would be very close in Wisconsin (I put Wisconsin in the light red 40's shade for a reason on my map afterall) but I think Feingold would have a slight edge.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2005, 02:43:09 AM »

This is my rough guess as to the popularity of pblic figures in Wisconsin:

There are only two men who are more popular than Tommy Thompson in Wisconsin.  They are Brett Favre and Jesus Christ.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2005, 09:30:04 AM »

This is my rough guess as to the popularity of pblic figures in Wisconsin:

There are only two men who are more popular than Tommy Thompson in Wisconsin.  They are Brett Favre and Jesus Christ.

Haha, that's a good one! And true in some respects, Thompson is very well liked in Wisconsin and could easily be elected to any position.
skybridge
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2005, 04:03:53 PM »

Feingold anytime.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies