Why do we call Clinton by her first name, but Donald by his last?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 05:40:09 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Why do we call Clinton by her first name, but Donald by his last?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Why do we call Clinton by her first name, but Donald by his last?  (Read 2738 times)
‼realJohnEwards‼
MatteKudasai
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.87

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 08, 2016, 10:33:39 PM »

This has always bugged me... Whenever people use one name to refer to Hillary Clinton, they nearly always use her first name, while with Trump it's virtually the exact opposite. What is the rationale behind this?
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2016, 10:36:18 PM »

Because there's already been a Clinton recently - it's Bill.

She has always "branded" herself by her first name alone - such as the 2008 and 2016 campaign logos.

Meanwhile, Donald Trump has a pathological need to be addressed as "Mr. Trump" at all times.
pikachu
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2016, 10:41:27 PM »

She has always "branded" herself by her first name alone - such as the 2008 and 2016 campaign logos.

Meanwhile, Donald Trump has a pathological need to be addressed as "Mr. Trump" at all times.

This basically. The same thing could be seen with Jeb!.
anthonyjg
anty1691

Political Matrix
E: -8.52, S: -7.48

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2016, 10:45:32 PM »

I think it's partly aesthetic. Same reason people refer to Bernie as Bernie and not Sanders, it just sounds better.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2016, 11:24:08 PM »

Yeah, mainly to differentiate herself from her husband. Same reason we refer to the First Lady as Michelle.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2016, 11:27:29 PM »

As far as I've observed, both variations have been used for both throughout their public lives.

Hillary & Clinton
[The] Donald & Trump

Clinton specifically is likely called "Hillary" so often because it is a household name and she is viewed by many as being the most notable and powerful woman in the country.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2016, 11:54:35 PM »

Pretty much this.

There is nothing sexist about it. People do the same thing with Jeb Bush, and years before people did the same thing with Bobby Kennedy.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2016, 12:14:17 AM »

This has always bugged me... Whenever people use one name to refer to Hillary Clinton, they nearly always use her first name, while with Trump it's virtually the exact opposite. What is the rationale behind this?

Because her last name is easily confused with her husband, the former President.

And his first name is shared with another stupid, thin-skinned fictional character who speaks incoherently.
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2016, 12:32:07 AM »

I think it's partly aesthetic. Same reason people refer to Bernie as Bernie and not Sanders, it just sounds better.

That's one good reason I do this.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2016, 01:04:34 AM »

Hillary distinguishes her from her ex-president husband... and she has great brand name recognition of her own just from her first name

Trump plasters his last name "Trump" onto everything, it's his famous brand-name recognition. It's also more distinctive than "Donald." And naturally people do use last names for presidential candidates anyways, with this year's Democratic nominee being one of the few exceptions.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2016, 03:49:53 AM »

We generally refer to women by first name because their last name belong to the husbands who own them.
ursulahx
United Kingdom

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2016, 04:31:46 AM »

When there's no doubt as to which Clinton is being referred to (and there usually isn't), I refer to Hillary Clinton as "Clinton", just as I refer to Donald Trump as "Trump".

I'll call her Hillary when I start calling him Donald.

I'd be slow to attribute it to sexism because here in the UK there's no apparent move to refer to our new Prime Minister as "Theresa", just as Merkel is rarely referred to as Angela. And Thatcher was very often referred to by her surname, just as Blair was sometimes referred to as "Tony".
Erich Maria Remarque
LittleBigPlanet
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2016, 04:40:47 AM »

Lol, is there any thread, when The Woman Card does not shows up? Cheesy
ursulahx
United Kingdom

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2016, 04:46:46 AM »

Lol, is there any thread, when The Woman Card does not shows up? Cheesy

I don't see a card with a woman on it.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2016, 04:52:06 AM »

When there's no doubt as to which Clinton is being referred to (and there usually isn't), I refer to Hillary Clinton as "Clinton", just as I refer to Donald Trump as "Trump".

I'll call her Hillary when I start calling him Donald.

I'd be slow to attribute it to sexism because here in the UK there's no apparent move to refer to our new Prime Minister as "Theresa", just as Merkel is rarely referred to as Angela. And Thatcher was very often referred to by her surname, just as Blair was sometimes referred to as "Tony".

I feel the trend is definitely there. Merkel gets called Angie a fair bit, just like Thatcher got called Maggie a lot of the time. Female politicians in Sweden definitely get referred to by first name a lot more. There are exceptions, of course, but I do think it's a subconscious form of sexism.
ursulahx
United Kingdom

« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2016, 04:53:16 AM »

I feel the trend is definitely there. Merkel gets called Angie a fair bit, just like Thatcher got called Maggie a lot of the time. Female politicians in Sweden definitely get referred to by first name a lot more. There are exceptions, of course, but I do think it's a subconscious form of sexism.

Now I think about it, doesn't Merkel have a nickname like "Auntie Angela" or something?
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2016, 05:12:59 AM »

Now I think about it, doesn't Merkel have a nickname like "Auntie Angela" or something?

She's commonly called Mutti in Germany which means like grandma as I recall.
ursulahx
United Kingdom

« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2016, 05:21:52 AM »

She's commonly called Mutti in Germany which means like grandma as I recall.

"Mutti" means "mummy". Could be affectionate, condescending or insulting depending on the context and your point of view.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2016, 07:30:13 AM »

I call Hillary by her first name because I like her. She has been known as Hillary all through the years, not "Clinton", and people are used to calling her that. I called Bernie by his first name as well.

I use Trump's last name to refer to him because I give him lessor status than I do Hillary and besides, I don't like him much.

I don't think this is a sexist thing.

Erich Maria Remarque
LittleBigPlanet
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2016, 07:34:06 AM »

I call Hillary by her first name because I like her. She has been known as Hillary all through the years, not "Clinton", and people are used to calling her that. I called Bernie by his first name as well.

I use Trump's last name to refer to him because I give him lessor status than I do Hillary and besides, I don't like him much.

I don't think this is a sexist thing.

Most Trump's supporters don't think they are racists, do they? Smiley
They explain their decisions by "law enforcement".
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2016, 07:34:38 AM »

Actually, all presidents get called by their first names these days.  It's kinda weird.  It started in the 90s with Bill and Al.  Then even that got to be too much effort, so we went with an initial.  W.  The stocking-clad, wig-wearing founders who called each other Mr. Madison and Mr. Jefferson and so on are probably turning over in their graves.

For the record, Donald is usually preceded with the definite article, as in The Donald.
Young Conservative
youngconservative
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2016, 07:41:02 AM »

I dont refer to either candidate by their first name, but many do to differentiate between the two Clinton's
skoods
United States

« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2016, 07:42:09 AM »

I've seen plenty of people refer to Trump as "The Donald."

I usually just refer to him as Chumpy Trumpy.
Coolface Sock #42069
whitesox130
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: 2.26

« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2016, 07:47:36 AM »

Part of it is the fact that she ran as "Hillary" in the primary, and even before that, her main advocacy group in the early days was called "Ready for Hillary". That's the same reason why we usually talk about "Bernie" and not "Sanders". His campaign signs all said "Bernie" on them.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2016, 07:53:34 AM »

That's true as well, but mostly it's because the name Clinton is already taken.  It's the same reason we always have to say Q when we talk about the sixth president.  Surely his neighbors know him as John Adams, but the name John Adams was already taken.  Same goes for W.  The next Obama will have to find a sobriquet other than Obama.

We have not had a president Trump yet so that name is up for grabs. 

If Johnson wins it's really important to come up with something else, because we have had two of them already.  (Note that the second one was invariably known as "LBJ" rather than "Johnson.") 

I suggest Aleppo.  Wink

Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies