Facebook co-founder donates $20 million to defeat Trump
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 10:54:08 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Facebook co-founder donates $20 million to defeat Trump
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Facebook co-founder donates $20 million to defeat Trump  (Read 976 times)
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 09, 2016, 11:28:20 AM »

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/09/dustin-moskovitz-facebook-2016-donation-227931
https://medium.com/@moskov/compelled-to-act-1413930041ee#.xyqcyt2sd

You must be logged in to read this quote.

That is a substantial contribution that could really help a lot downballot, but I have a couple questions:

1. Does The League of Conservation Voters have a good track record? Looking at OpenSecrets ( https://www.opensecrets.org/pacs/expenditures.php?cycle=2016&cmte=C00252940 ), it says $1,416,321 was contributed total to federal candidates, but on the recipients page it only shows 500k~ worth, and they seem pretty spread thin. I suppose 5 million would mean quite a lot of money going to candidates in competitive districts that need it, though, but not if the contributions continue to be as small as they have so far. Wouldn't it be better to take that 5 million and dump it into about a dozen House races and a few Senate races?

2. "For Our Future PAC" was started by Labor unions and Steyer was supposed to contribute quite a bit himself, but OpenSecrets only shows a 2.5 million transfer from the AFL-CIO and nothing from Steyer (yet), so was this even a PAC worth contributing to? I mean they launched with ambitious goals:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/onpolitics/2016/05/12/labor-unions-launch-50-million-super-pac/84282910/

But it's already September and all they have is 2.5 million dollars. Is it common for such large contributions commitments to be fulfilled as late as mid-September?

https://www.opensecrets.org/pacs/indexpend.php?cycle=2016&cmte=C00620971

Maybe it would have been better to just take that 5 million and pitch it to Democrats' Senate Majority PAC / House-related PAC(s).

Thoughts?
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2016, 12:19:44 PM »

Rich latte liberal blows massive amounts of money to be part of elitist circlejerk. More at eleven Tongue.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2016, 12:20:54 PM »

Overturn Citizens United! Smash the plutocracy
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2016, 12:22:55 PM »

Rich latte liberal blows massive amounts of money to be part of elitist circlejerk. More at eleven Tongue.

I know

I posted it because I wanted to see if anyone had any insight into the LCV and For Our Future PACs, and whether that combined 10 million would be money well-spent.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2016, 12:29:11 PM »

Unlike our party where big millionaire funding is a given and far far more prevalent.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker & Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2016, 12:58:36 PM »

That's funny, Atlas told me that Republicans had all the rich donors locked up.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2016, 01:02:26 PM »

Since when?
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2016, 01:43:39 PM »

Moskowitz is an FF. Hopefully Zuckerberg will do the same.
Rules for me, but not for thee
Dabeav
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.19, S: -5.39

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2016, 01:46:18 PM »

Atlas shrugged.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2016, 01:48:48 PM »

Seriously why are you supporting Trump? He has literally hired the head of Citizens of United.
F_S_USATN

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2016, 01:55:32 PM »

Sasha Issenberg wrote about LCV Victory Fund today

http://www.bloomberg.com/politics/articles/2016-09-08/super-pac-telegraphs-battleground-strategy-to-clinton-campaign

In announcing its plans for an “aggressive $4.2 million persuasion canvass” across three states—Pennsylvania, Nevada and North Carolina—the LCV Victory Fund has taken the unusual step of including in a press release the specific ranges of microtargeting scores that define the voters it will attempt to sway in Clinton’s favor and against Trump. It amounts to a direct and precise signal to Clinton’s campaign, state parties and other super-PACs not to bother duplicating those efforts, or perhaps to layer on specific digital or direct-mail communication targeting those individual voters.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2016, 02:00:56 PM »

1. Does The League of Conservation Voters have a good track record? Looking at OpenSecrets ( https://www.opensecrets.org/pacs/expenditures.php?cycle=2016&cmte=C00252940 ), it says $1,416,321 was contributed total to federal candidates, but on the recipients page it only shows 500k~ worth, and they seem pretty spread thin. I suppose 5 million would mean quite a lot of money going to candidates in competitive districts that need it, though, but not if the contributions continue to be as small as they have so far. Wouldn't it be better to take that 5 million and dump it into about a dozen House races and a few Senate races?

This is a question I've asked myself many times. Does it really make sense to give to a political advocacy organization that will waste a lot of the money on races where it is not needed, versus just focusing it where you believe it is most needed?

You must be logged in to read this quote.

My experience in higher education development tells me that fulfilling multi-million dollar pledges in the space of a couple months is an overly ambitious goal. The urgency of the election will certainly help, but for such things a timespan of years would not be unusual.

The comment on it being late also reminded me of something interesting I heard once. I have a friend who's involved in political fundraising for various Democratic causes. I ended up talking to him about this once, because I was researching the impact of political giving on higher education giving (which is my area of work). He told me that most giving happens in the month before the election, but it would have a much greater impact if it were done earlier in the cycle. With that in mind, large commitments of this sort are not nearly as valuable at this stage of the game as they would be in, say, the Spring.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2016, 02:07:34 PM »

Sasha Issenberg wrote about LCV Victory Fund today

http://www.bloomberg.com/politics/articles/2016-09-08/super-pac-telegraphs-battleground-strategy-to-clinton-campaign

In announcing its plans for an “aggressive $4.2 million persuasion canvass” across three states—Pennsylvania, Nevada and North Carolina—the LCV Victory Fund has taken the unusual step of including in a press release the specific ranges of microtargeting scores that define the voters it will attempt to sway in Clinton’s favor and against Trump. It amounts to a direct and precise signal to Clinton’s campaign, state parties and other super-PACs not to bother duplicating those efforts, or perhaps to layer on specific digital or direct-mail communication targeting those individual voters.

Thank you for that! This is sort of what I was looking for by creating this thread - trying to see what they planned to do with it.

That said, I'm a little disappointed this is going to Clinton-related efforts. She has a lot of resources/support already, and that money could be better served in downballot races where candidates are in need of their own support. However, given that there is a competitive Senate race in each of those states, along with some competitive House races, I hope that they are persuading those voters to support the Democratic Senate/House candidates as well.

My experience in higher education development tells me that fulfilling multi-million dollar pledges in the space of a couple months is an overly ambitious goal. The urgency of the election will certainly help, but for such things a timespan of years would not be unusual.

The union pac did say they were setting it up as a long-term operation, so I suppose it could be put to use building up for 2018.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2016, 02:11:53 PM »

Massive expenditures in short timeframes aren't exactly unusual in politics.  You can get a pretty high burn rate on television, digital, and/or mail advertising -- in a national level, we're talking millions in a matter of weeks.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2016, 02:44:39 PM »

I guess if you're only considering white people, Clinton's campaign would appear elitist.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2016, 03:52:24 PM »

THEN WHY ON EARTH ARE YOU SUPPORTING TRUMP ?!? Huh

"I'm very hot. I should turn the furnace on full blast!"

"My head huts. I should repeatedly hit myself in the skull repeatedly with a hammer!"
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies