Clinton: Half of Trump’s supporters fit in ‘basket of deplorables’
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 09, 2024, 01:18:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Clinton: Half of Trump’s supporters fit in ‘basket of deplorables’
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]
Author Topic: Clinton: Half of Trump’s supporters fit in ‘basket of deplorables’  (Read 6175 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: September 10, 2016, 07:43:27 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Hillary is really, really dumb if she thinks that just because 50 percent of Trump's coalition is one of these things, that this amounts to an aggregate of 50 percent of Trump supporters overall.

There's going to be a big backlash over this. I mean, I'm not a Trump support, but I'm one of those Conservatives that don't make a ton of money now, and would like to make more money in the future. That Hillary, who came from without money is now where she is, condemning those folks who are also climbing the ladder comes off as crass.

As for tossing opposition to homosexuality in there - does Hillary really want to consolidate all the Catholic support behind Trump? That, right there would cost her the election.
Sorry, I must have missed when she "condemned" working-class folks. Didn't she do the exact opposite, when she called for "empathy"?

She did, but in the half of the quote that isn't getting as much attention.
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #126 on: September 10, 2016, 09:03:53 PM »

Honestly, Hillary should've said greater than 50%, but she is right for the most part. She didn't need to apologize. I find it deplorable that Trump supporters are actually offended! LOL!

I have major respect for the Republicans not supporting Trump though.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #127 on: September 10, 2016, 09:38:46 PM »

Well, if she wants to force Catholics to choose the candidate who supports traditional marriage, that is one way for Clinton to piss away the election.

Why would she do that, when she's up by 20, 30 points on Catholics?
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #128 on: September 10, 2016, 09:41:26 PM »

Well, if she wants to force Catholics to choose the candidate who supports traditional marriage, that is one way for Clinton to piss away the election.

I think you're entire premise here is way overreacting to the cross-tab of one poll that probably has a huge margin of error. There is a certain demographic of anti-Trump serious Catholics who might be swayed by this, but it's maybe 1% of the country at most.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #129 on: September 10, 2016, 09:45:04 PM »

Most Catholics agree with Clinton on gay marriage, so I'm not exactly clear what you're getting at here.
PeteB
Canada

« Reply #130 on: September 10, 2016, 09:48:35 PM »

If I was advising Clinton, I would definitely recommend the high road. These comments may play well with the base, but will relegate her to Trump's levels, in the eyes of independents.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #131 on: September 10, 2016, 09:56:01 PM »

If I was advising Clinton, I would definitely recommend the high road. These comments may play well with the base, but will relegate her to Trump's levels, in the eyes of independents.

I disagree, the more I think about it, the more I think this is a net positive.
PeteB
Canada

« Reply #132 on: September 10, 2016, 10:02:52 PM »

We'll have to agree to disagree then. Just don't be surprised that, from now until November, Trump justifies any of his off-the-wall action or speech with this quote from Clinton.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #133 on: September 10, 2016, 10:08:47 PM »

We'll have to agree to disagree then. Just don't be surprised that, from now until November, Trump justifies any of his off-the-wall action or speech with this quote from Clinton.

I agree with you, PeteB. I'd rather she take the high road. But then, I'm not in this fight with Trump, and mentally unbalanced as he is, there's no precedent on how to deal with someone like that. Hillary is doing the best she can, I guess.

Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #134 on: September 10, 2016, 10:17:44 PM »

There is a weird thing on Atlas, particularly among Democrats that you just need to sit on the high-road and just be the "good guy" and you win. People forget how negative the Obama 12 campaign was. Democrats need a spine and be prepared to fight. No one turned off by Trump's rhetorical is by suddenly going to turn to him because of this. Seriously people.
Doimper
Doctor Imperialism

« Reply #135 on: September 10, 2016, 10:27:11 PM »

There is a weird thing on Atlas, particularly among Democrats that you just need to sit on the high-road and just be the "good guy" and you win.

Not just Atlas.

Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #136 on: September 10, 2016, 10:30:36 PM »

There is a weird thing on Atlas, particularly among Democrats that you just need to sit on the high-road and just be the "good guy" and you win. People forget how negative the Obama 12 campaign was. Democrats need a spine and be prepared to fight. No one turned off by Trump's rhetorical is by suddenly going to turn to him because of this. Seriously people.

I'm not worried that people are going to turn to the King of trash because of this. I'm personally looking down the road a bit. Since Hillary is the first female in this fight and will possibly be the first female President, I was hoping she would set a higher standard. Taking the high road has its rewards in the long term and that's what my focus is on.

Getting down and dirty with Trump is no accomplishment.
JerryArkansas
jerryarkansas
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #137 on: September 10, 2016, 10:34:50 PM »

Look at what John Bel Edwards did in LA last year.  He went for the jugular and destroyed Vitter.  It does work for Dems to do this.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #138 on: September 10, 2016, 11:33:15 PM »

Honestly, Hillary's media strategy has been great since Labour Day. New plane, press conferences all the time, solid digs on Trump, controlling the message... I like it. And I think the timing of it has been very deliberate. It puts wind in her sails for the debates and could help her dominate the news cycle on her terms virtually through to the last debate.
Erich Maria Remarque
LittleBigPlanet
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #139 on: September 11, 2016, 06:19:26 AM »

LOL, of course, it might be good for her, but it is more probable to be bad. And when you're leading by 3-5 points, why would you take a risky actions? Huh

Distract media from emails? I don't know...
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #140 on: September 11, 2016, 07:24:57 AM »

Excellent analysis from Hillary Clinton!  I'm glad that we will be electing such an astute, intelligent president.  The contrast with her opponent is sharp, as he often is unable to form coherent sentences.

The Trump-ISIS coalition of pedophiles and neo-nazis is finally getting a taste of its own medicine.  We can only hope that Hillary Clinton continues to speak truth to power, and that the deplorable scumbags that support Trump go back to being tricked into buying gold or whatever it is that those people do.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #141 on: September 11, 2016, 08:14:39 AM »

I find it both interesting and hilarious that our Atlas trump-supporters like Seriously, Fuzzy, ChairmanSanchez, etc are completely absent from this conversation.
I guess they haven't yet noticed this thread due to those horse-blinders.

As I have a life besides Atlas and don't rob my employer by going online here during work hours, I've been away from the internet for several days.  But thanks for sharing and caring.

This was, truthfully, a slap against a particular group of white people; the Scot-Irish whites of Appalachia and various parts of the South.  Now that Hillary doesn't have to fake a Southern Accent (check out footage from her days as First Lady of Arkansas and tell me if I'm lying) she can now openly resent these folks.  Her own resentments can now be on display. 

Now, she can openly hate the simpletons who didn't vote for Bill in 1980 because she didn't take her husband's last name.  Now, she can openly trash folks simply because they are not open to being persuaded on any of her explanations for her misconduct over the decades.  Now, she can engage her hatred of religious conservatives because they don't share with her the love of a woman's right to a partial-birth abortion.  Now, she can paint all these folks as deplorables, and, yes, Donald Trump opened the door to this, so she's on the same plane.

I suppose it's good politics.  It's a good rationalization.  After all, believing that one's opponent is an "Alt. Right" candidate with "Alt. Right" supporters is a key element in getting people to vote for a person about whom there is real suspicion that she has committed a serious felony and gotten away with it.  A felon at Hillary's level would be toast against a "normal" candidate, but if we can label Trump's supporters as modern-day Brownshirts and Trump as Hitler, Jr., even a felon can be competitive in the polls, eh?

And that's the bottom line.  Hillary HAS to deal in this hyperbole because folks out there TRULY believe that she's committed a felony.  This extends to her supporters, who thank their lucky stars that she wasn't charged with a felony.  We'll see about the tactics.  But let's drop the "Stronger Together" crap.  "Stronger Together" is nothing more than a call to progressives to patch up their differences; it's in no way a call to "Make America Whole Again".  (I note that this was Bill's line, and not Hillary's.)  Hillary wants to "Make America Three-Quarters Again" and permanently marginalize the rest of the folks because they will not support her, period, and don't believe her, period. 
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #142 on: September 11, 2016, 08:16:29 AM »

Honestly, Hillary's media strategy has been great since Labour Day. New plane, press conferences all the time, solid digs on Trump, controlling the message... I like it. And I think the timing of it has been very deliberate. It puts wind in her sails for the debates and could help her dominate the news cycle on her terms virtually through to the last debate.

You are the dudeabides of the Clinton campaign.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies