Clinton: Half of Trump’s supporters fit in ‘basket of deplorables’
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 04:58:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Clinton: Half of Trump’s supporters fit in ‘basket of deplorables’
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Author Topic: Clinton: Half of Trump’s supporters fit in ‘basket of deplorables’  (Read 6000 times)
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: September 10, 2016, 09:36:08 AM »

This was one of the few fundraisers open to the press. Hillary did this on purpose, it was no gaffe.

This.

If this was against Romney, Bush, or any other traditional Republican, she would never say this. Anyway, she is 100% correct and I am glad she said this. Trump supporters bigotry and racism has been down played way too much for my liking by the media(ex. hiding behind bull**** reasons like economy anxiety, even though the vast majority are more wealthy then the average American).
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #51 on: September 10, 2016, 09:37:19 AM »

She's lying through her teeth. Everybody knows that it is more like 90% of Trump's supporters that belongs in those categories.

It's called "being diplomatic". Nor does it automatically alienate recovering Trump cultists.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #52 on: September 10, 2016, 09:44:58 AM »

This was one of the few fundraisers open to the press. Hillary did this on purpose, it was no gaffe.

This.

If this was against Romney, Bush, or any other traditional Republican, she would never say this. Anyway, she is 100% correct and I am glad she said this. Trump supporters bigotry and racism has been down played way too much for my liking by the media(ex. hiding behind bull**** reasons like economy anxiety, even though the vast majority are more wealthy then the average American).

Agreed. This is not a normal election and many negative elements have come to the surface that have no come up before.
Erich Maria Remarque
LittleBigPlanet
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #53 on: September 10, 2016, 09:45:38 AM »

Wrong or not, a presidential candidate calling a fifth of Americans deplorable state comes across as pretty nasty.

True, but isn't it interesting how people who complain about others being 'politically correct' turn out to be hypersensitive and easily outraged! themselves?
Lol, what?
There's no Trump supporter in this thread complaining. I was glad when Clinton held alt right speech, but now I kind of happy lol. I get flashbacks from Sweden, where all media went all in bashing Trump'ish party. Now they are much more careful Smiley

I want so bad that some newspaper (WaPo?)  would do the same Smiley
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #54 on: September 10, 2016, 09:47:08 AM »

Trump: [insert negative comments about Mexicans, Muslims, women, and other minority groups]

Clinton: "Many people that endorse the above language are deplorable"

Trump supporters: "How dare she paint a section of the country with such a broad brush!"

F 'em. I hope she keeps the pressure on.
Erich Maria Remarque
LittleBigPlanet
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #55 on: September 10, 2016, 09:47:32 AM »

She is not incorrect. The only people angry about this are people who are already voting for Trump and people who are racist, but want to pretend like they are not.

Trump calls Hispanics rapists and it's a hilarious joke. The double standards are clear.
What about minorities that still vote for Trump. Are they just dumb or racists/fascists? Smiley
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #56 on: September 10, 2016, 09:49:48 AM »

She is not incorrect. The only people angry about this are people who are already voting for Trump and people who are racist, but want to pretend like they are not.

Trump calls Hispanics rapists and it's a hilarious joke. The double standards are clear.
What about minorities that still vote for Trump. Are they just dumb or racists/fascists? Smiley

They are not smart for voting for someone who would prefer to see them locked up, deported or perhaps even worse.
Minnesota Mike
YaBB God

« Reply #57 on: September 10, 2016, 10:02:36 AM »

If the hood fits....

DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #58 on: September 10, 2016, 10:45:11 AM »

There are only two types of Trump supporters, bigots and morons and there is considerable overlap between the two.
dspNY
United States

« Reply #59 on: September 10, 2016, 10:57:46 AM »

The polling on attitudes about Trump and racism are interesting. YouGov asked the following questions:

Is Trump a racist? 54/34 yes
Clinton voters say yes, Trump voters say no, but by 60/23, undecided voters say yes, Trump is a racist. So any discussion of Trump and his supporters being racist is bad for Trump
Wells
MikeWells12
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #60 on: September 10, 2016, 11:00:19 AM »

When Trump brings out his supporters, he's not bringing out our best. He's bringing the alt-right, the neo-Nazis, they're racists. And some, I assume, are good people.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #61 on: September 10, 2016, 11:00:24 AM »

She's absolutely correct, but the media will crucify her for this. You see, if a white man says dreadful things about minorities, Muslims, and women, he's just a "tough guy" who speaks his mind and doesn't care about being politically correct. When a woman suggests that some people who support such a man are prejudiced, though, it's an unspeakable act.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #62 on: September 10, 2016, 11:04:14 AM »

This is certainly a distraction, but I don't quite get why it would be that bad for her in terms of actual votes. She said half of Trump supporters, aka people who are not voting for her anyway. There are plenty of voters she can pull in despite that comment that are not currently on her side, and she is currently leading, so how exactly does this cost her support? It's not like a hell of a lot of people don't think Trump is a bigot anyway. For instance, if she can bring more young voters back to her, she is fine, and they probably think half of Trump supporters are deplorable as well.

At worst, it hurts efforts to pull more supporters away from Trump, but given the context of the comment (if people even hear about that), if they don't consider themselves racists/Islamophobes/etc, then they won't think the comment applied to them.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #63 on: September 10, 2016, 11:07:40 AM »

1) She's right
2) It was idiotic to say

Trump keeps throwing interceptions and Clinton keeps shanking field goals to keep him in the game.
I don't know that this will hurt her, at this point.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #64 on: September 10, 2016, 11:10:57 AM »
« Edited: September 10, 2016, 11:16:33 AM by Yank2133 »

1) She's right
2) It was idiotic to say

Trump keeps throwing interceptions and Clinton keeps shanking field goals to keep him in the game.
I don't know that this will hurt her, at this point.

It won't.

The people who are upset by this are already supporting Trump. Poll after poll has shown that swing voters think that Trump is a racist and a good portion of his supporters are racist as well.
Erich Maria Remarque
LittleBigPlanet
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #65 on: September 10, 2016, 11:15:03 AM »

When Trump brings out his supporters, he's not bringing out our best. He's bringing the alt-right, the neo-Nazis, they're racists. And some, I assume, are good people.
Wells
MikeWells12
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #66 on: September 10, 2016, 11:37:47 AM »

I'll just point out that the two biggest stories right now are (according to here):

http://www.cnn.com/2016/09/09/politics/hillary-clinton-donald-trump-basket-of-deplorables/

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/bigot-ripping-muslim-women-hijabs-hateful-attack-article-1.2785475

A story about Clinton calling out racism, and one about a hate crime. The overall optics might actually be in Clinton's favor, especially if the media plays the entire quote in context.
ursulahx
United Kingdom

« Reply #67 on: September 10, 2016, 11:38:47 AM »

I can't decide whether this is genius or gaffe. I agree it was probably deliberate. It's hard to tell from over the pond how the US media are treating this, but it could go either way between "Clinton takes the gloves off" or "Clinton insults Trump supporters" (the 'half' will quietly be forgotten).

I guess history will tell us whether this was the statement that cost her the election (like "47%" cost Romney, except he'd have lost anyway), or a meaningless blip on her inevitable path to victory.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #68 on: September 10, 2016, 11:52:26 AM »

Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #69 on: September 10, 2016, 12:00:57 PM »

Al Gore's "Lockbox 2.0"

Wink
Erich Maria Remarque
LittleBigPlanet
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #70 on: September 10, 2016, 12:01:11 PM »

I can't decide whether this is genius or gaffe. I agree it was probably deliberate. It's hard to tell from over the pond how the US media are treating this, but it could go either way between "Clinton takes the gloves off" or "Clinton insults Trump supporters" (the 'half' will quietly be forgotten).

I guess history will tell us whether this was the statement that cost her the election (like "47%" cost Romney, except he'd have lost anyway), or a meaningless blip on her inevitable path to victory.
You can start your analysis by outlining how it worked out in GB Smiley
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #71 on: September 10, 2016, 12:17:16 PM »

Trump has been endorsed by David Duke, Vladimir Putin, Donald Rumsfeld and Jerry Falwell Jr., so I don't see why this is a controversial statement.
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #72 on: September 10, 2016, 12:56:54 PM »

Clinton is playing divide and conquer with Trump's supporters:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

We already know there is a significant portion of Trump supporters who are flat-out bigots and support him because he crassly amplifies their bigotry.  She wasn't winning those votes in any case.  She's aiming for continued media coverage about the bigotry of Trump and some of his supporters.  Unlike Romney's 47% comment, this fits into a campaign narrative she was already publicly pushing, as we can see by her "Alt-Right" speech.  She just never put a number on it before.  One cannot say Clinton was saying one thing in public and something entirely different in private.
Wells
MikeWells12
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #73 on: September 10, 2016, 01:01:52 PM »

I stole this quote from the comments section of one of the articles, but "If you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, the one that yelps is the one you hit."
‼realJohnEwards‼
MatteKudasai
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.87

« Reply #74 on: September 10, 2016, 01:05:48 PM »

Clinton is playing divide and conquer with Trump's supporters:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

We already know there is a significant portion of Trump supporters who are flat-out bigots and support him because he crassly amplifies their bigotry.  She wasn't winning those votes in any case.  She's aiming for continued media coverage about the bigotry of Trump and some of his supporters.  Unlike Romney's 47% comment, this fits into a campaign narrative she was already publicly pushing, as we can see by her "Alt-Right" speech.  She just never put a number on it before.  One cannot say Clinton was saying one thing in public and something entirely different in private.
Seeing the full quote is a little revelatory... you can actually see that the focus is on the "other basket", and not the "deplorables". Unfortunately, there's no way the media will include the full quote Sad
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies