Clinton: Half of Trump’s supporters fit in ‘basket of deplorables’
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 05, 2024, 01:22:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Clinton: Half of Trump’s supporters fit in ‘basket of deplorables’
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6
Author Topic: Clinton: Half of Trump’s supporters fit in ‘basket of deplorables’  (Read 6119 times)
Erich Maria Remarque
LittleBigPlanet
YaBB God
Sweden

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: September 10, 2016, 04:16:57 PM »

I think Hillary was very smart. They'll probably ask about this in the debate now.

All she needs to do when they do is bring up the alt-right and how they're racist, sexist and classiest. Bring up all the sexist and racist stuff Trump said in the past. Most of the American people can see how ugly trump is.

I mean, I hope she does that because Trump's response to that would be very high-energy, lol.
Cheesy

*brings popcorn*

Erich Maria Remarque
LittleBigPlanet
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #101 on: September 10, 2016, 04:22:44 PM »

The reason why the media and many others have indulged in talking about 'e-mails' is that it acts as a welcome white noise machine. It's easier to talk about because it seems so mainstream. It deals with a professional 'misdemeanor' by a professional person. They like talking about it and her not talking about it. It's comfortable. Like a 'Choose Your Own Adventure: Woodward and Bernstein' for journalists.

Turn that noise machine down and you're faced with Trump who you can't debate on usual terms. You can't even interview on usual terms. So yes, they do end up having to 'normalise' his rhetoric and his support base because journalists must be seen to balance, at least on the surface and if not 'balance' give due air to the other side.

But sometimes the other side is dangerous and saying dangerous things. And sometimes that is all that it is. And a free press never, ever knows what to do with that when dangerous ideas become mainstream. Trump is the ultimate GOP chimera; a beast made up of all the worst, most cancerous bits of Republican rhetoric since the Gingrich era that have been hurled at the left and at minorities, and used against both Clintons and all Democrats since, sewn together and made flesh.

This is actually the chance for the centre-right to kill that cancer. For the sake of American democracy, for the sake of breaking congressional deadlock and reversing political polarisation, Trump needs to be whipped and pummelled at the polls. 'Trumpism' needs to be flayed open and publicly bleed to death, because only that way can the GOP actually start anew and halt it's rightward drift. Hell it's not even a rightward drift; it's a drift towards the dark corner of conspiracy and innuendo. And for those people, Trump is a useful idiot; a handmaiden of the 'alt-right'. He has to be bloodied at the ballot for the sake of the next few decades of political discourse and in order to make up for the last few.
Yup, but then you'll better criticise concrete ideas, statements and so on. "They all are racists" does usually not work, I think.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #102 on: September 10, 2016, 05:41:33 PM »

Will this overshadow Gilmore's endorsement?
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #103 on: September 10, 2016, 05:48:32 PM »

The reason why the media and many others have indulged in talking about 'e-mails' is that it acts as a welcome white noise machine. It's easier to talk about because it seems so mainstream. It deals with a professional 'misdemeanor' by a professional person. They like talking about it and her not talking about it. It's comfortable. Like a 'Choose Your Own Adventure: Woodward and Bernstein' for journalists.

Turn that noise machine down and you're faced with Trump who you can't debate on usual terms. You can't even interview on usual terms. So yes, they do end up having to 'normalise' his rhetoric and his support base because journalists must be seen to balance, at least on the surface and if not 'balance' give due air to the other side.

But sometimes the other side is dangerous and saying dangerous things. And sometimes that is all that it is. And a free press never, ever knows what to do with that when dangerous ideas become mainstream. Trump is the ultimate GOP chimera; a beast made up of all the worst, most cancerous bits of Republican rhetoric since the Gingrich era that have been hurled at the left and at minorities, and used against both Clintons and all Democrats since, sewn together and made flesh.

This is actually the chance for the centre-right to kill that cancer. For the sake of American democracy, for the sake of breaking congressional deadlock and reversing political polarisation, Trump needs to be whipped and pummelled at the polls. 'Trumpism' needs to be flayed open and publicly bleed to death, because only that way can the GOP actually start anew and halt it's rightward drift. Hell it's not even a rightward drift; it's a drift towards the dark corner of conspiracy and innuendo. And for those people, Trump is a useful idiot; a handmaiden of the 'alt-right'. He has to be bloodied at the ballot for the sake of the next few decades of political discourse and in order to make up for the last few.

I appreciate your well-written post. You are a good writer! Smiley

Orthogonian Society Treasurer
CommanderClash
YaBB God
Bermuda

Political Matrix
E: 0.32, S: 4.78

P
« Reply #104 on: September 10, 2016, 05:58:11 PM »

Remember when Obama calling these same losers "bitter people who cling to their guns and religion" cost him the election?

No, but I do remember when it cost him Missouri and Montana.
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

« Reply #105 on: September 10, 2016, 06:01:56 PM »

Remember when Obama calling these same losers "bitter people who cling to their guns and religion" cost him the election?

I highly doubt that was the reason. The people who didn't vote for Obama weren't gonna vote for him even if he didn't make that comment.

Besides, Obama didn't need Missouri or Montana and Hillary doesn't need half of Trump supporters in order to win the election. The only people this alienates are people who would never vote for her in the first place.
Erich Maria Remarque
LittleBigPlanet
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #106 on: September 10, 2016, 06:03:45 PM »

I highly doubt that was the reason. The people who didn't vote for Obama weren't gonna vote for him even if he didn't make that comment.

Besides, Obama didn't need Missouri or Montana and Hillary doesn't need half of Trump supporters in order to win the election. The only people this alienates are people who would never vote for her in the first place.
Well, we'll see soon in polls, if you're right.
Erich Maria Remarque
LittleBigPlanet
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #107 on: September 10, 2016, 06:05:18 PM »

LOL, Trump retweets Obama Grin

Negusa Nagast 🚀
Nagas
United States

« Reply #108 on: September 10, 2016, 06:17:38 PM »

Trump supporters aren't very smart if they think that half of Trump's support is anywhere near 50% (it's about ~15% of total US pop). This isn't very surprising given who they support.
‼realJohnEwards‼
MatteKudasai
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.87

« Reply #109 on: September 10, 2016, 06:29:37 PM »

Oh yes, those all-important swing states of Missouri and Montana. What will we possibly do without them?
Erich Maria Remarque
LittleBigPlanet
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #110 on: September 10, 2016, 06:31:31 PM »

Trump supporters aren't very smart if they think that half of Trump's support is anywhere near 50% (it's about ~15% of total US pop). This isn't very surprising given who they support.
I see a straaaaawman here.
‼realJohnEwards‼
MatteKudasai
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #111 on: September 10, 2016, 06:33:33 PM »

This is literally what Donald just implied with his retweet. No strawman here.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #112 on: September 10, 2016, 06:37:22 PM »

Um, did Jill Stein just defend Trump's bigoted supporters?

https://twitter.com/DrJillStein/status/774720734367133696?lang=en

Some "liberal" she is.
Negusa Nagast 🚀
Nagas
United States

« Reply #113 on: September 10, 2016, 06:38:24 PM »

See what I mean? This fellow doesn't even know what a strawman argument is!
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #114 on: September 10, 2016, 06:38:58 PM »

According to the pearl clutching PC police known as Trump supporters, I guess Herr Trump is the only guy allowed to call a spade a spade.
Erich Maria Remarque
LittleBigPlanet
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #115 on: September 10, 2016, 06:39:54 PM »

This is literally what Donald just implied with his retweet. No strawman here.
No.
Erich Maria Remarque
LittleBigPlanet
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #116 on: September 10, 2016, 06:40:37 PM »

See what I mean? This fellow doesn't even know what a strawman argument is!
Senator Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: 0.00

P P P
« Reply #117 on: September 10, 2016, 06:45:27 PM »

Clinton = Romney
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #118 on: September 10, 2016, 06:49:44 PM »

There are five pages of commentary and debate here.
Is that the best you can do ?
LOL.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #119 on: September 10, 2016, 06:57:38 PM »

get back in your basket
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #120 on: September 10, 2016, 07:14:51 PM »
« Edited: September 10, 2016, 07:18:52 PM by IDS Ex-Speaker Ben Kenobi »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Hillary is really, really dumb if she thinks that just because 50 percent of Trump's coalition is one of these things, that this amounts to an aggregate of 50 percent of Trump supporters overall.

There's going to be a big backlash over this. I mean, I'm not a Trump support, but I'm one of those Conservatives that don't make a ton of money now, and would like to make more money in the future. That Hillary, who came from without money is now where she is, condemning those folks who are also climbing the ladder comes off as crass.

As for tossing opposition to homosexuality in there - does Hillary really want to consolidate all the Catholic support behind Trump? That, right there would cost her the election.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #121 on: September 10, 2016, 07:25:31 PM »

Hillary is really, really dumb if she thinks that just because 50 percent of Trump's coalition is one of these things, that this amounts to an aggregate of 50 percent of Trump supporters overall.

There's going to be a big backlash over this. I mean, I'm not a Trump support, but I'm one of those Conservatives that don't make a ton of money now, and would like to make more money in the future. That Hillary, who came from without money is now where she is, condemning those folks who are also climbing the ladder comes off as crass.

As for tossing opposition to homosexuality in there - does Hillary really want to consolidate all the Catholic support behind Trump? That, right there would cost her the election.

It may surprise you to know that not all Catholics are bigoted filth, but the fact that you assume they are is certainly telling.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #122 on: September 10, 2016, 07:27:10 PM »

Why would taking the same position most Catholics take cost Hillary the Catholic vote?
Fusionmunster

« Reply #123 on: September 10, 2016, 07:27:40 PM »

There's going to be a big backlash over this.
I mean, I'm not a Trump support, but I'm one of those Conservatives that don't make a ton of money now, and would like to make more money in the future. That Hillary, who came from without money is now where she is, condemning those folks who are also climbing the ladder comes off as crass.

Not a chance.
‼realJohnEwards‼
MatteKudasai
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #124 on: September 10, 2016, 07:28:46 PM »

Sorry, I must have missed when she "condemned" working-class folks. Didn't she do the exact opposite, when she called for "empathy"?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies