Is "basket of deplorables" Hillary's 47% moment?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 09:15:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 13
Poll
Question: -skip-
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 233

Author Topic: Is "basket of deplorables" Hillary's 47% moment?  (Read 23204 times)
‼realJohnEwards‼
MatteKudasai
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.87

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: September 10, 2016, 07:30:52 PM »

You are a piece of work. Trump spews all kinds of sh**t about all kinds of people, and Hillary makes ONE statement that disparages some of Trump supporters, and you reply with all this garbage.

You have earned the right to be ignored.

You could probably find Seriously? in the basket of deplorables. A case study on him and the idea of double standards would be pretty fantastic if you ask me. His ability to completely ignore Trump's own issues while screaming at the top of his lungs about Clinton's is remarkable. It doesn't even matter if they do the same thing - it's awful/corrupt/etc when Clinton does it, and completely fine / didn't even happen if Trump does it. Barely any proof required if it's a 'scandal' involving Clinton, but if the same scandal involves Trump, the highest burden of proof is required. Every detail must be confirmed and presented.

He's either a disturbingly-dedicated troll or hypocritical as hell, and I can't help but wonder how this kind of behavior translates into other aspects of his life.

I think you nailed his butt to a T.
As always, those from the party of "tolerance" think they are better than those that dare to be different and not vote for their guy.

Your level of Alinsky-like ridicule will do nothing to change my mind or shut up.
You know, I may believe in universal suffrage, but it's times like these that make Plato's argument very appealing.
Stop stooping to their level.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #101 on: September 10, 2016, 07:34:17 PM »

It's not exactly the best thing she could have said as she didn't get her message across clearly, but this is certainly no 47% moment.

Agreed, if she assumes the race is going to be narrow, "He's in ingorant, racist piece of sh**, you don't want anything to do with that, do you?" isn't a bad framing to turn the Obama coalition out.

Actually, she should have left the calling out of the fact that many of Trump's supporters are ethnophobic, homophobic, and/or xenophobic to surrogates and focused instead on the other part of her intended message, that many of Trump's supporters feel let down by government and that something ought to be done about it.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #102 on: September 10, 2016, 07:42:20 PM »

Almost thou persuadest me to vote for Trump...

Also "basket of deplorables" = "irredeemable" therefore Hillary Clinton = closet hardline Calvinist?
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #103 on: September 10, 2016, 07:47:54 PM »

It's not exactly the best thing she could have said as she didn't get her message across clearly, but this is certainly no 47% moment.

Agreed, if she assumes the race is going to be narrow, "He's in ingorant, racist piece of sh**, you don't want anything to do with that, do you?" isn't a bad framing to turn the Obama coalition out.

Actually, she should have left the calling out of the fact that many of Trump's supporters are ethnophobic, homophobic, and/or xenophobic to surrogates and focused instead on the other part of her intended message, that many of Trump's supporters feel let down by government and that something ought to be done about it.

I disagree, actually, because the economic distress part opens her up to attacks from left and right that she's dissing Obama's work and/or acknowledging how much of a failure he is.  If you're going to take this risk, better to give the young lefty Stein/Johnson voters a taste of left-Trump rhetoric to get them back in the game.

Progressives in this country have been having a failure to communicate for far longer than Obama's presidency, altho Obama probably did the best campaign of any Democrat since the Kennedy/Johnson era.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #104 on: September 10, 2016, 08:00:57 PM »

Hillary just put out this message on facebook:

Kinda looks like a backing down, sorta.    Oh well.
God knows that I am no fan of Hillary, but I appreciate the apology and I consider it to be sincere. First of all, Hillary is the consummate politician who has been pursuing the Presidency for years. She knows the game and she knows that comments like this do not go over well. That being said, she is right (I want to barf for typing that) that there is a deplorable element of Trump supporters (David Duke and company) who are hijacking the movement just like they tried to do with the Ron Paul movement. So while of course her comments and subsequent backtracking are politically motivated like literally everything else she does, I am still reasonable enough to know what point she was trying to make.

Definitely doesn't help her out on the whole "I'm totally likable!" thing that she's been going after. I don't see this causing her any problems unless Trump ties it in with the bigger picture, which I'm sure he's itching to do.

I think Clinton is ready for a big-picture debate on these issues against Trump.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #105 on: September 10, 2016, 08:03:10 PM »

yes.  no.  maybe.  What does it even mean?

We nominated these two clowns.  We deserve for one of them to be our president.  We'll have no one to blame but ourselves when one of them is elected our next president.

I read a Dan Balz article in the WaPo about this.  I can't condone it, and I don't understand how any reasonable person could.  Basket of deplorables?!  She's using an adjective like it's a noun.  Would it be so fucking difficult to find a noun for the adjective "deplorable" to modify?  I detest such intellectual laziness.  There's much to dislike about Hillary Clinton, and this is probably not worth a diatribe, but I will say that any speech this lazy is not worth a poll.  Probably not worth a post either, so I guess I'm wasting my time as much as anyone else here.

TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #106 on: September 10, 2016, 08:09:36 PM »

I read a Dan Balz article in the WaPo about this.  I can't condone it, and I don't understand how any reasonable person could.  Basket of deplorables?!  She's using an adjective like it's a noun.  Would it be so fucking difficult to find a noun for the adjective "deplorable" to modify?  I detest such intellectual laziness.  There's much to dislike about Hillary Clinton, and this is probably not worth a diatribe, but I will say that any speech this lazy is not worth a poll.  Probably not worth a post either, so I guess I'm wasting my time as much as anyone else here.

It means Hillary Clinton has adopted opebo-speak! She must read the Atlas Forum!
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #107 on: September 10, 2016, 09:03:33 PM »

It means Hillary Clinton has adopted opebo-speak! She must read the Atlas Forum!

pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #108 on: September 10, 2016, 09:57:38 PM »

While we're on the subject, please explain this:

My take:

Asians, blacks and Latinos are in communities that look out for each other. Someone is likely to notice a severe case of depression and do something about it. Blacks and Hispanics may have more reliance upon religious institutions.

"So you have expressed a desire to kill yourself? Let's talk about that in church". That may be more effective than psychological intervention. Asians, not so religious in their many groups (who would confuse Bangladeshis with Koreans in culture?)   -- I can't say much. It could be that Asians use much less alcohol due to ethanol intolerance.  

American Indians? A higher rater of suicide probably relates to alcoholism, with spikes for drug activity. Take away the alcoholism, and American Indians probably have suicide rates closer to those of Asians, blacks, and Hispanics.

Whites often see their world falling apart with nobody to help them. More access to poisons, pills, and hibachis? The federal and state government have been giving poor white people no help. If anything, I suspect that the white suicide rate is underestimated because of vehicle crashes that are seen as accidents instead of suicides and because of people who quit using their necessary medicine as 'natural causes'.
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 2.71, S: -6.09

« Reply #109 on: September 10, 2016, 10:17:38 PM »

Basket of deplorables is similar to Orman's clown car reference. That's the talk of the Dem base.

What it will do to Hillary is cost her Pub and some Ind votes.

It won't cost her any Dem votes.

47% actually cost Romney some working class votes and showed him for an out of touch elitist that he was/is.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #110 on: September 10, 2016, 10:32:36 PM »

I have to say though, basket of deplorables sounds an awful lot like binders full of women.

I disagree. Apples and oranges....
The binders full of women statement was trying to show how cool and hip he was and that he wasn't a sexist.
The deplorables statement is labeling some Trump supporters as racists and bigots, etc.
Neither statement should ever have been said, IMO.

I didn't mean it in terms of their content - just that they're both odd ways to say what they're attempting to say. Romney was attempting to say he made great strides to employ women, but ended up with "binders full of women". Clinton was trying to say that a large chunk of Trump supporters are racists, but ended up with "baskets of deplorbles".

Maxwell,
I think you need to watch the entire video or read the entire transcript of what Hillary said.
She immediately follows-up after saying "basket of deplorables," with the fact (definition) that this group of trump supporters are racists, sexist, etc.

okay apparently people don't feel like reading my actual words, let me make it caveman simple -

"basket of deplorables" is a funny phrase to me. "binders full of women" is also a funny phrase to me. that's all.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #111 on: September 10, 2016, 10:47:04 PM »

I have to say though, basket of deplorables sounds an awful lot like binders full of women.

I disagree. Apples and oranges....
The binders full of women statement was trying to show how cool and hip he was and that he wasn't a sexist.
The deplorables statement is labeling some Trump supporters as racists and bigots, etc.
Neither statement should ever have been said, IMO.

I didn't mean it in terms of their content - just that they're both odd ways to say what they're attempting to say. Romney was attempting to say he made great strides to employ women, but ended up with "binders full of women". Clinton was trying to say that a large chunk of Trump supporters are racists, but ended up with "baskets of deplorbles".

Maxwell,
I think you need to watch the entire video or read the entire transcript of what Hillary said.
She immediately follows-up after saying "basket of deplorables," with the fact (definition) that this group of trump supporters are racists, sexist, etc.

okay apparently people don't feel like reading my actual words, let me make it caveman simple -

"basket of deplorables" is a funny phrase to me. "binders full of women" is also a funny phrase to me. that's all.

I'll go with that. Those phrases do sound funny.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #112 on: September 10, 2016, 11:00:13 PM »

Any Republicans voting for Hillary this year surely already thought of the people who nominated Donald Trump as deplorable.
wolfsblood07
United States

« Reply #113 on: September 10, 2016, 11:08:51 PM »
« Edited: September 10, 2016, 11:13:21 PM by wolfsblood07 »

As a fan of bands like the Misfits, I think it's an apt description, and very metal.  Perhaps Glenn Danzig should write a song called Basket of Deplorables.  As the band Slayer said, "Hate heals you should try it sometime!"
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #114 on: September 10, 2016, 11:45:56 PM »

As a fan of bands like the Misfits, I think it's an apt description, and very metal.  Perhaps Glenn Danzig should write a song called Basket of Deplorables.  As the band Slayer said, "Hate heals you should try it sometime!"

This might be the best post you've ever made on this forum.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #115 on: September 10, 2016, 11:52:23 PM »

This might be the best post you've ever made on this forum.

Agreed. Basket of Deplorables sounds like the perfect metal album name.
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #116 on: September 10, 2016, 11:54:34 PM »

Any Republicans voting for Hillary this year surely already thought of the people who nominated Donald Trump as deplorable.

It plays against her unifier message. She divides the people into the deplorables and the others and who knows, maybe the others are further subdivided into categories.

Pubs voting for her will pause after this and take a second look of her and the Donald and a large number of them, particularly the more educated ones will choose the Donald over her as the lesser evil.

It’s the same thing which cost Orman his election. He spoke his heart and was exposed for the partisan Democrat hack that he was.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #117 on: September 10, 2016, 11:55:37 PM »

It plays against her unifier message. She divides the people into the deplorables and the others and who knows, maybe the others are further subdivided into categories.

Pubs voting for her will pause after this and take a second look of her and the Donald and a large number of them, particularly the more educated ones will choose the Donald over her as the lesser evil.

It’s the same thing which cost Orman his election. He spoke his heart and was exposed for the partisan Democrat hack that he was.

Did Orman have a gaffe like this?
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #118 on: September 10, 2016, 11:58:51 PM »

Clown car.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #119 on: September 10, 2016, 11:58:59 PM »

While I think this was a mistake, especially given how the media is spinning it, I don't think it's quite the same when you're talking national electorate vs Kansas statewide electorate--the latter is far more conservative as a whole.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #120 on: September 11, 2016, 12:09:21 AM »

Racism, homophobia, sexism, xenophobia, and religious bigotry are all deplorable. The issue is not whether Hillary Clinton condemns them; it is instead whether people want to be involved with such. Hillary Clinton was not going to get many votes from racists, sexists, homophobes, xenophobes, and religious bigots.

Did she give her message as gracefully as possible? No. But can Donald Trump exploit it? If he tries, then he reminds us that a core of his supporters defend deplorable ideas.
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #121 on: September 11, 2016, 12:12:17 AM »

Racism, homophobia, sexism, xenophobia, and religious bigotry are all deplorable. The issue is not whether Hillary Clinton condemns them; it is instead whether people want to be involved with such. Hillary Clinton was not going to get many votes from racists, sexists, homophobes, xenophobes, and religious bigots.

Did she give her message as gracefully as possible? No. But can Donald Trump exploit it? If he tries, then he reminds us that a core of his supporters defend deplorable ideas.

LOL! Talking like a true Dem partisan hack isolated in his echo chamber and out of touch with reality.
You'll wake up soon enough, say in a week at the latest when this unforced error starts showing up in the polls.

Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #122 on: September 11, 2016, 12:53:57 AM »

At least half of Trump's supporters are racist so I am not sure what is so controversial about this statement. About half of Republicans supported him in the primary when they had other choices. I can understand there are many Republicans who can't support Clinton but they are in the other category. At least half of the people supporting Trump are racists who just want their country back from the non-whites. Great Americans, they are. Anyone who isn't white isn't really American.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #123 on: September 11, 2016, 02:22:30 AM »

Almost thou persuadest me to vote for Trump...

Also "basket of deplorables" = "irredeemable" therefore Hillary Clinton = closet hardline Calvinist?

She's Methodist, which makes "irredeemable" especially odd.

Maybe it is different for us Baptists, but I have been taught the doctrine of people being given over to a reprobate mind because of their actions.
Erich Maria Remarque
LittleBigPlanet
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #124 on: September 11, 2016, 05:24:02 AM »

Trump Jr posted this image on FB Grin

LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 13  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies