Is "basket of deplorables" Hillary's 47% moment?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 12:24:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Is "basket of deplorables" Hillary's 47% moment?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 13
Poll
Question: -skip-
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 233

Author Topic: Is "basket of deplorables" Hillary's 47% moment?  (Read 22959 times)
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: September 11, 2016, 05:26:48 AM »

Well, it's certainly one of the less ... unpleasant things he's re-tweeted.
ursulahx
United Kingdom

« Reply #126 on: September 11, 2016, 05:51:25 AM »

Not sure. It's pretty bold, especially for this particular campaign. Like, it should go without saying that all of this was pretty clearly premeditated. Let's not forget that this is Hillary Clinton.

Her """"""backtrack"""""" is only for that minor "half" detail. "Okay I didn't mean that literally half of Trump's supporters are terrible people, but now that you're listening let me pontificate for a moment."

Plus, "basket of deplorables" is such a strange turn of phrase; she wants this to be remembered. Not exactly trying to whisper this in secret to her donors. My guess is she's trying a few things at once here: galvanize the base, test this line of attack with undecideds and the more ambiguous "educated whites" section of her support, and make it more likely she gets asked about this type of thing at the debates, where she has the opportunity to more consequentially make her point. It is risky for sure though.

This is the best comment I've read about the whole issue. "Deplorables" targets educated Republicans who don't like Trump because of his extremist views, and simultaneously fires up the Democratic base. Has the potential to be a win-win situation. This isn't aimed at all Republicans, or all voters. This is carefully targeted.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #127 on: September 11, 2016, 06:54:05 AM »

Trump literally just retweeted a Pepe meme with Milo Yiannopoulos in the background... oh boy.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #128 on: September 11, 2016, 07:05:47 AM »

Of course the Deplorables would own the label. Proves her point.
PresidentSamTilden

« Reply #129 on: September 11, 2016, 07:18:30 AM »

Folks, she's just telling it like it is, ok? You know, some of the smartest people agree with her. A lot of establishment politicians, like Paul Ryan, have been afraid to say this. Sad! We need change in Washington. We need a candidate that will tell racist voters that they suck. Hillary 2016

Seriously tho, My first instinct was to think this comment was a mistake. Insulting the electorate doesn't seem like a great idea, and it definitely didn't work for Mitt, lol. But in this election all the rules seem to be different. Especially when you're Hillary Clinton and people say you're not sincere and don't speak your mind enough...eh, it actually might be a solid move. I'm sure some polls will ask about it.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #130 on: September 11, 2016, 07:23:58 AM »

Trump literally just retweeted a Pepe meme with Milo Yiannopoulos in the background... oh boy.
That's like saying, "I'm racist. What are you going to do about it?!"
Fuzzy Stands With His Friend, Chairman Sanchez
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #131 on: September 11, 2016, 08:39:10 AM »

Hillary has to advance this narrative to enable people to get over their barriers to voting for a candidate they believe has committed a felony and gotten away with it.  That's the bottom line here.

‼realJohnEwards‼
MatteKudasai
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.87

« Reply #132 on: September 11, 2016, 08:55:32 AM »

Hillary has to advance this narrative to enable people to get over their barriers to voting for a candidate they believe has committed a felony and gotten away with it.  That's the bottom line here.

Dude, the only way that someone still thinks she's a felon is if they're a conspiracy theorist who thinks the FBI is behind her (and do you think Comey, of all people, would willingly break the law to help her?). Otherwise they imply that their judgement on these issues is better than the FBI's, which is absurd.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #133 on: September 11, 2016, 08:42:57 PM »

Yes, and just like Romney, she's right.

If you seriously agree with Romney that 100% of Solid D voters are moochers, then you are not an independent.

No, but Romney's ceiling was 53%.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #134 on: September 11, 2016, 08:45:28 PM »

Okay, this is playing worse than I expected it to.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #135 on: September 11, 2016, 09:08:41 PM »

Really? Outside of people who are offended for being called out ... I haven't seen any huge backlash to this.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #136 on: September 11, 2016, 09:47:11 PM »

What?!  Where did he do that?

It pains me to see Pepe's good name taken in vain like this. Sad
Fuzzy Stands With His Friend, Chairman Sanchez
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #137 on: September 11, 2016, 09:49:15 PM »

At least half of Trump's supporters are racist so I am not sure what is so controversial about this statement. About half of Republicans supported him in the primary when they had other choices. I can understand there are many Republicans who can't support Clinton but they are in the other category. At least half of the people supporting Trump are racists who just want their country back from the non-whites. Great Americans, they are. Anyone who isn't white isn't really American.
And you know this how?

Southern Delegate matthew27
matthew27
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -1.22

« Reply #138 on: September 11, 2016, 09:53:00 PM »

I think it is going to help her as it highlights his supporters for what they're. Most undecideds were probably sicken by how weak she was before.

Going to the 9-11 event today shown even more strength.
Bismarck
Chancellor

« Reply #139 on: September 11, 2016, 09:56:43 PM »

I honestly might vote for Trump because of this. I expect this kind of thing from atlas hack posters but calling 25 % of the country awful irredeemable people because they support your opponents political campaign is disgusting. How can she unite he country when she finds such a large percentage of it so awful? I'm sick of leftist identity politics telling me that my dad is the main thing holding America back today.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #140 on: September 11, 2016, 09:57:30 PM »
« Edited: September 11, 2016, 10:04:45 PM by ag »

At least half of Trump's supporters are racist so I am not sure what is so controversial about this statement. About half of Republicans supported him in the primary when they had other choices. I can understand there are many Republicans who can't support Clinton but they are in the other category. At least half of the people supporting Trump are racists who just want their country back from the non-whites. Great Americans, they are. Anyone who isn't white isn't really American.
And you know this how?

I would grant that to you. He underestimates the proportion of racists among Trump supporters by a lot. It is, probably, double that.
Wells
MikeWells12
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #141 on: September 11, 2016, 09:58:02 PM »

And you know this how?

According to polls, at least half of Trump supporters think Obama is a foreign-born Muslim.
Bismarck
Chancellor

« Reply #142 on: September 11, 2016, 10:05:46 PM »

And you know this how?

I would grant that to you. He underestimates the proportion of racists by a lot. It is, probably, double that.

Did you have a bad experience with a white person at some point in your childhood? Do you wanna talk about it? This is a safe space to get whatever is causing your hateful delusions off your chest.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #143 on: September 11, 2016, 10:06:46 PM »

And you know this how?

I would grant that to you. He underestimates the proportion of racists by a lot. It is, probably, double that.

Did you have a bad experience with a white person at some point in your childhood? Do you wanna talk about it? This is a safe space to get whatever is causing your hateful delusions off your chest.

I mean, I have an experience with you right now. You are white, arenīt you?
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #144 on: September 11, 2016, 10:09:27 PM »

ag, what is your opinion of White New Hampshire women who voted against Marilinda Garcia in 2014 because she's a Hispanic who decided to run against a White woman?

Where they white? Was she white? Who was white?
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #145 on: September 11, 2016, 10:11:58 PM »

I honestly might vote for Trump because of this. I expect this kind of thing from atlas hack posters but calling 25 % of the country awful irredeemable people because they support your opponents political campaign is disgusting. How can she unite he country when she finds such a large percentage of it so awful? I'm sick of leftist identity politics telling me that my dad is the main thing holding America back today.

It's hard to believe that someone offended by that comment was not already voting for Trump. The truth is often painful.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #146 on: September 11, 2016, 10:12:36 PM »

It was incredibly stupid and extremely ill advised.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #147 on: September 11, 2016, 10:13:42 PM »

ag, what is your opinion of White New Hampshire women who voted against Marilinda Garcia in 2014 because she's a Hispanic who decided to run against a White woman?

Where they white? Was she white? Who was white?

Garcia (R) is Hispanic, and her opponent Ann Kuster (D) was White. Kuster won by a "surprisingly" wide margin, despite it being 2014.

Hispanic can be white and white can be not white. Who is really white there?
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #148 on: September 11, 2016, 10:15:07 PM »

I will grant you that.
Bismarck
Chancellor

« Reply #149 on: September 11, 2016, 10:16:12 PM »

It's hard to believe that someone offended by that comment was not already voting for Trump. The truth is often painful.

I was turned off by Trump's comments on Judge Curiel among other things. I'm not a fan of this idea that the majority of the people in my town and family  are awful people just because they aren't voting for Hillary Clinton. Always good to hear such judgment from the tolerant and open minded left.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 13  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies