Is "basket of deplorables" Hillary's 47% moment?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 02:38:32 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Is "basket of deplorables" Hillary's 47% moment?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13
Poll
Question: -skip-
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 233

Author Topic: Is "basket of deplorables" Hillary's 47% moment?  (Read 23070 times)
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #150 on: September 11, 2016, 10:17:02 PM »

ag, what is your opinion of White New Hampshire women who voted against Marilinda Garcia in 2014 because she's a Hispanic who decided to run against a White woman?

Where they white? Was she white? Who was white?

Garcia (R) is Hispanic, and her opponent Ann Kuster (D) was White. Kuster won by a "surprisingly" wide margin, despite it being 2014.

Kuster barely lost in 2010 running against an incumbent who was not Hispanic. That district is just the more Democratic of the two in New Hampshire.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #151 on: September 11, 2016, 10:17:20 PM »

I honestly might vote for Trump because of this. I expect this kind of thing from atlas hack posters but calling 25 % of the country awful irredeemable people because they support your opponents political campaign is disgusting. How can she unite he country when she finds such a large percentage of it so awful? I'm sick of leftist identity politics telling me that my dad is the main thing holding America back today.

It's hard to believe that someone offended by that comment was not already voting for Trump. The truth is often painful.

I was turned off by Trump's comments on Judge Curiel among other things. I'm not a fan of this idea that the majority of the people in my town and family  are awful people just because they aren't voting for Hillary Clinton. Always good to hear such judgment from the tolerant and open minded left.

1. Nobody said anything about "not voting Clinton". Voting Trump is another matter.

2. I have never claimed being tolerant (or "left", for that matter).
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #152 on: September 11, 2016, 10:19:41 PM »

I honestly might vote for Trump because of this. I expect this kind of thing from atlas hack posters but calling 25 % of the country awful irredeemable people because they support your opponents political campaign is disgusting. How can she unite he country when she finds such a large percentage of it so awful? I'm sick of leftist identity politics telling me that my dad is the main thing holding America back today.

It's hard to believe that someone offended by that comment was not already voting for Trump. The truth is often painful.

I was turned off by Trump's comments on Judge Curiel among other things. I'm not a fan of this idea that the majority of the people in my town and family  are awful people just because they aren't voting for Hillary Clinton. Always good to hear such judgment from the tolerant and open minded left.

The point wasn't about people not voting for Hillary Clinton, it was about them voting for someone who is extremely bigoted. Plus, there is the fact that Trump has more openly racist supporters than any previous Republican nominee. McCain and Romney didn't have people holding up confederate flags, shout racial slurs and death threats. There is also the small matter of David Duke endorsing him.
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 2.71, S: -6.09

« Reply #153 on: September 11, 2016, 10:28:43 PM »

The point wasn't about people not voting for Hillary Clinton, it was about them voting for someone who is extremely bigoted. Plus, there is the fact that Trump has more openly racist supporters than any previous Republican nominee. McCain and Romney didn't have people holding up confederate flags, shout racial slurs and death threats. There is also the small matter of David Duke endorsing him.

DrScholl, there is no evidence that Trump is bigoted.

He has bigoted supporters. So what? Are we sure Hillary has no bigoted supporters?

Trump's platform is much more inclusive. He doesn't divide people into baskets.
Bismarck
Chancellor

« Reply #154 on: September 11, 2016, 10:28:57 PM »

Unfortunatly there are only two real options in American elections. Is it really fair to call millions of people horrible just because they would rather take their chances with Trump than vote for Clinton? My parents voted for Kasich in the primary and are voting for Trump. I take offense at calling my parents racist or homophobic because calling them that is rediculous.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #155 on: September 11, 2016, 10:29:43 PM »

. Is it really fair to call millions of people horrible just because they would rather take their chances with Trump than vote for Clinton?

Short answer: yes.
Fuzzy Stands With His Friend, Chairman Sanchez
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #156 on: September 11, 2016, 10:32:22 PM »

Because slamming as moochers the poor and the elderly is the same as slamming the racists, homophobes and anti-semites who are Trump's base.
Roll Eyes

Yeah, really. Romney seemed to cement himself as a heartless plutocrat with that comment, but Clinton here is just calling people out for what seems to be obvious, at least if you go by people at his rallies and polls showing the absurd beliefs of a sizable number of Trump supporters.

Plus, going by the numbers, she only really insulted like 20% of Americans, which is probably lowballing it in terms of # of sexists/racists/xenophobes/etc, whereas Romney basically said 47% of Americans were poor moochers that he didn't really care about appealing to.

I don't hold that comment against her at all. I'm actually slightly glad a politician didn't attempt to gloss over the fact that a large portion of our country are indeed bigoted assholes. I sure as hell am not making excuses for those people.

So which am I?

I'm a 59 year old father of 3, including an 11 year old special needs grandson my wife and I have adopted due to problems with his parents I'll not discuss here.

We attend a church that is conservative, but well-integrated.  My wife and I are stably employed stably in respectable occupations.  We're by no means rich, and the last decade has been tough, economically, but we work, pay taxes, and obey laws.  We have a conservative Biblical worldview on social issues, but a recognition that free market capitalism has not worked well for millions of Americans.  We make no bones about the fact that we believe that only through the blood of Jesus Christ can a person be saved; there are no two, three, or sixty paths to Eternal Life.

We've voted for Democrats and Republicans over the last 20 years.  We've been Obama voters and Bush voters.  I'm a union member, but I'm also a parent for whom the public school system has abysmally failed our youngest child, and for whom McKay Scholarships (which Teacher Unions oppose) has been an absolute Godsend for our son.  He is physically small, and was bullied at his school, which public school officials did nothing about.  So you can see how I'm of two minds on a number of things.

So where do I fit in here?  Am I deplorable?
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #157 on: September 11, 2016, 10:33:20 PM »

He has bigoted supporters. So what? Are we sure Hillary has no bigoted supporters?

Calling Mexicans rapists and killers is bigoted. Calling blacks lazy and refusing to rent apartments to them bigoted. Even mocking a disabled person is a form of bigotry. I don't need to go on further, because his entire life is built on division and hate.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #158 on: September 11, 2016, 10:33:21 PM »

If you vote for Trump, yes.
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #159 on: September 11, 2016, 10:36:20 PM »

So, according to you, 100% of Trump supporters are deplorables?
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #160 on: September 11, 2016, 10:36:24 PM »

Unfortunatly there are only two real options in American elections. Is it really fair to call millions of people horrible just because they would rather take their chances with Trump than vote for Clinton? My parents voted for Kasich in the primary and are voting for Trump. I take offense at calling my parents racist or homophobic because calling them that is rediculous.

This is seriously not a normal election and Trump is not normal, not by any stretch of the imagination. There are certain people voting for him because they believe that he represents a white nationalist point of view. And there are others who don't really care about what he says, they will just vote for anyone with an R next to their name. That is what you call ridiculous.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #161 on: September 11, 2016, 10:40:23 PM »
« Edited: September 11, 2016, 10:42:01 PM by ag »

According to me: yes, of course. I have been saying it for a while. Every single Trump supporter is strictly worse than Trump himself.

Ok, I will make an exception for those over 85 years of age and those suffering from mental retardation.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #162 on: September 11, 2016, 10:41:06 PM »

Sure, I hate you. Please feel free to reference that fact.
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #163 on: September 11, 2016, 10:50:21 PM »

Calling Mexicans rapists and killers is bigoted. Calling blacks lazy and refusing to rent apartments to them bigoted. Even mocking a disabled person is a form of bigotry. I don't need to go on further, because his entire life is built on division and hate.

Again, DrScholl, as always, you are distorting his statements.

He said that there are rapists and killers among the illegal immigrants who if the immigration laws had been strictly upheld wouldn't have been there to commit their crimes. That's not bigoted. That's a fact.

He didn't call the blacks lazy. He said it's terrible that there are no jobs available for a large number of blacks living in the inner cities and that he is going to remedy that. No bigotry, just stating facts.

He wasn't mocking a disabled person. He was mocking his character. That disabled reporter happens to be the worst hack imaginable. Now, does being disabled shield you from any kind of critique? Is that the society where disabled people are treated as equals? Would we be talking about this if that hack were not disabled and Trump performed the same mockery of him? Talking about double standards and PC distortion of reality and common sense.
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #164 on: September 11, 2016, 10:51:42 PM »

According to me: yes, of course. I have been saying it for a while. Every single Trump supporter is strictly worse than Trump himself.

Ok, I will make an exception for those over 85 years of age and those suffering from mental retardation.

I think Clinton should appoint you as her campaign manager.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #165 on: September 11, 2016, 10:52:02 PM »

Nice example of "the pot calling the kettle black" Smiley
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #166 on: September 11, 2016, 10:54:12 PM »

He said that there are rapists and killers among the illegal immigrants who if the immigration laws had been strictly upheld wouldn't have been there to commit their crimes. That's not bigoted. That's a fact.

He didn't call the blacks lazy. He said it's terrible that there are no jobs available for a large number of blacks living in the inner cities and that he is going to remedy that. No bigotry, just stating facts.

He wasn't mocking a disabled person. He was mocking his character. That disabled reporter happens to be the worst hack imaginable. Now, does being disabled shield you from any kind of critique? Is that the society where disabled people are treated as equals? Would we be talking about this if that hack were not disabled and Trump performed the same mockery of him? Talking about double standards and PC distortion of reality and common sense.

His statements about Mexicans and his mocking a disabled reporter are well documented. Mocking a person's disability is not a critique, it is bullying.

And yes, he did call blacks lazy http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2016/07/20/trump_complained_about_blacks_inherent_laziness_1991_book_says.html
Bismarck
Chancellor

« Reply #167 on: September 11, 2016, 10:57:54 PM »

I'm not defending Trump's statements, many of the things he has said are terrible. There are many people who feel that Trump making horrid comments isn't as bad as voting for a candidate who opposes them on every political issue. That's all I'm saying. Just because Trump is bad and some people who support him are bad doesn't make the majority of people who support him bad.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #168 on: September 11, 2016, 11:00:11 PM »

I am, frankly, surprised at the offended demonstrations of hurt by Trump supporters. Yes, I do consider all of you "deplorables" for a very basic reason: you support Donald Trump. Why is this so shocking?
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #169 on: September 11, 2016, 11:00:37 PM »

His statements about Mexicans and his mocking a disabled reporter are well documented. Mocking a person's disability is not a critique, it is bullying.

And yes, he did call blacks lazy http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2016/07/20/trump_complained_about_blacks_inherent_laziness_1991_book_says.html

Written by former Trump Plaza casino COO John O'Donnell.

DrScholl, you and I know better than to trust disgruntled former employees. We know Trump likes to fire incompetent people. John O'Donnell may have been one of them.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #170 on: September 11, 2016, 11:01:11 PM »

I'm not defending Trump's statements, many of the things he has said are terrible. There are many people who feel that Trump making horrid comments isn't as bad as voting for a candidate who opposes them on every political issue. That's all I'm saying. Just because Trump is bad and some people who support him are bad doesn't make the majority of people who support him bad.

The real sin here is to support Donald Trump. Being good or bad is a choice. The fact that your parents are choosing to be bad is their fault, not anyone else's.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #171 on: September 11, 2016, 11:04:31 PM »

Written by former Trump Plaza casino COO John O'Donnell.

DrScholl, you and I know better than to trust disgruntled former employees. We know Trump likes to fire incompetent people. John O'Donnell may have been one of them.

That's a very specific statement for a disgruntled employee to make. Generally, when disgruntled employees lie, they lie about things that are more job related.
Fuzzy Stands With His Friend, Chairman Sanchez
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #172 on: September 11, 2016, 11:20:30 PM »

I would encourage you to vote for Trump.

Up until now, my position on Trump was that I would support him if the election were held today, but I wouldn't ask anyone else to.  But I'm not going to vote for a candidate who would view me, and people I care about, in that manner.  People have blasted Trump for his intemperate comments; why is this not up there with all of them? 

So, yes, I've made my binary choice, and I would certainly hope every Republican would do the same.  "Stronger Together" is a statement Hillary is making to the Movement Progressives, and not to America as a whole, and this fact should be driven home from now to November 8.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #173 on: September 11, 2016, 11:22:19 PM »

Well, you are choosing to destroy the lives of your own children.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #174 on: September 12, 2016, 12:16:25 AM »
« Edited: September 12, 2016, 12:17:58 AM by ag »

Ok. Let me make a serious statement, for once.

1. I, actually, understand where the Trump support is coming from. Yes, there are many people in the US who feel that "the elites" are usurping the power, do not care about them, do not share their values, etc. I, of course, do not share those sentiments, but I do see how this can be a strong feeling.

2. This feeling is not limited to the US, of course. In fact, in much of the world the same feeling of impotent rage against the elites that many Americans feel domestically is directed against all Americans as a group. Aren't Americans the worldwide "elite"? Many Russians, for instance, would, as a matter of course, answer in the affirmative. The world, in their worldview, is governed by the "Washington obkom".

3. Of course, there are no real elites governing the world. Society is a complex organism, and no group of people can control or direct it. Nor is there a cohesive group with alligned interests that could try to do so. The world, really, is a lot more chaotic than many people suppose.

4. Miraculously, this chaos over the last 70 years has been, at least in the "first world", resolved without major conflagrations that had been the norm for most of our history, and remain the norm in many places till now. This has been achieved, in great part, because after the catastrophe of the two world wars societies converged to some modicum of political and social moderation. They say that Mexicans are so polite (and Mexican conventions are those of exaggerated politeness) because 100 years ago an impolite word could have resulted in shooting. In a sense, the same has been true of our societies in general. We could continue to think whatever we thought of those not like us (be that socially, ethnically, religiously, racially or whatever) but we tended to hold our mouths under some control. Having survived the World Wars nobody was willing to risk provoking them anew.

5. Well, this is, increasingly, no longer the case. The generation which survived the wars is gone. Their children do not understand where the politeness conventions are coming from: they think these are elite plots to subdue the straight-talking simple folk.

6. Trump has done away with courtesies of the recent decades and his supporters love it. Well, I view my role here as educational. I am performing, of course and I am being nasty and offensive. I do this for a reason. You have insisted on taking away the veneer of civilization that has maintained peace. Well, live with it. Smell the urine. Alas, unless we collectively recoil, soon we all will be smelling blood.

Yes, I am scared. And I am screaming.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies