Where Were You On 9/11?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 10:50:18 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Where Were You On 9/11?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Where Were You On 9/11?  (Read 1390 times)
FairBol
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 10, 2016, 05:57:48 PM »

Just thinking about that horrible day, and how the whole world changed.  Where were you when you first heard the news of the attacks? I was in Florida, visiting my mother.  I had just woken up when my mother told me that a plane had hit WTC.  I remember that even in Florida, it was an otherwise perfect day...the sun was shining, and the sky was the clearest blue.  Then, all hell broke loose.  I will never ever forget it.  Sad
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2016, 05:59:45 PM »

I don't have any memories that young
LLR
LongLiveRock
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2016, 06:01:13 PM »

Not yet born.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2016, 06:05:01 PM »

In school.  Our principal came on over the pa and read a prayer.  Some kids were taken out of school early by their parents.  I also remember going to a vigil that night at my church and it was filled to the brim.  It's actually pretty cool that before the age of social media that many people were notified to come to the church that night.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2016, 06:11:39 PM »

In school, I remember there was an intercom message asking all the teachers to turn on the tv and watch the news and when my teacher turned it on it was around when the South tower was hit.
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2016, 06:29:54 PM »

I overslept and missed class that morning because we'd had a fire drill in the middle of the night. My teacher called at 11 AM to ask why I hadn't been at class but also mentioned that there'd been an attack in NYC. I'll always remember that my first reaction was thinking that terrorists had flown in their own planes across the Atlantic, kind of like Pearl Harbor. I turned on the TV and Ashleigh Banfield was on MSNBC and there was a giant cloud of smoke on the screen because this was about 30 minutes after both towers had collapsed.

I also remember watching Dan Rather later that day, and as they showed a live picture of Manhattan, he said, "there's the Empire State Building, regaining it's prominence in the skyline." To this day when I see Manhattan it doesn't look right without the Twin Towers. The Freedom Tower is a poor substitute, like a generic office building.

I've always regretted oversleeping that day, I missed the most major event in US History since Kennedy's assassination.
President of the great nation of 🏳️‍⚧️
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2016, 08:18:21 PM »

I don't remember (normal 3-month-old)
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2016, 08:46:13 PM »

First full week of 7th grade. It happened during Spanish class in 1st period, and that was one of the few classrooms with not TV. We walked to second-period Geography and the TV was already on (he must have thought we were already watching), and he didn't say anything, just watched, and teachers kept going room to room to talk. For the first 15 minutes we thought we were watching a history documentary or something and thought it was weird he wasn't saying anything about it. But then the first tower collapsed and we realized it was actually happening in real time.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2016, 09:37:45 PM »

I was getting ready for 6th grade, and I saw images of the Twin Towers falling on TV. Class that day was... irregular, to say the least.
Coolface Sock #42069
whitesox130
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: 2.26

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2016, 09:41:40 PM »

I was in sixth grade. I was coming out of PE class (my first-period class; this is central time), and my best friend came up to me and told me there had been an attack and that they had destroyed the World Trade Center (which I'd never heard of before). We didn't have classes the rest of the day, but I remember watching the news coverage in a classroom for part of the rest of the day. School did not dismiss early. My most vivid memory is of seeing the second tower getting hit. It's been so long ago now that it's almost surreal.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2016, 09:51:05 PM »

I was in pre school that day. My fifth birthday was three days after.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2016, 09:59:26 PM »

I had the day off, I was watching MSNBC when they broke in after the first one hit.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2016, 11:03:22 PM »

I was in grad school, and didn't realize anything was happening until I got to my class and the professor mentioned it before class started.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2016, 11:41:19 PM »

Wasn't working that day, but my wife to be was and she called home and woke me up.  I remember I mainly watched it on CNBC, which I wouldn't now, but then Mark Haines was probably as capable and professional as any of the network anchors.
RosettaStoned
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.45, S: -5.91

« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2016, 11:48:43 PM »

I was 12 years old and in 7th grade getting ready for school. 
Wells
MikeWells12
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2016, 12:04:56 AM »

Being one month old.
dax00

« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2016, 12:26:44 AM »

i was in the living room watching a VHS i borrowed from my cousin (skipped school that day)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2016, 01:14:42 AM »

I didn't find out about it until that afternoon when I went to go vote. (There was a municipal election that day where I lived.)
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2016, 02:06:16 AM »

Asleep during the events, went to school, and I think one my classmates had just moved from New York...she was freaking out. The rest of was surprisingly average (3rd Grader from Cali)
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2016, 03:49:33 AM »

At afternoon school (4th class, I was just turning ten); it was later in the day in Germany. I remember that our teacher talked with us almost the whole next day about the attack.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2016, 05:20:34 AM »

I was in school (14 at the time). It was the third week of school of my freshman year in high school. I was mostly excited that the new episodes of Dragonball Z had finally started. I remember my second and third classes basically being cancelled and we went to another room to watch it on TV. We had lunch after that class and all the TVs in the cafeteria had the news on, showing live video of the towers burning and collapsing. My last class was a computer class and it was basically a free day. Needless to say, everyone was talking about it in class.

Following a news story like that back then was very different. I remember on the bus ride home everyone talking about it and people were saying that maybe 120,000 might have been killed. When I got home, I literally asked my mom the moment I walked in the door if she had been watching the news (yeah, I didn't really think about that question when I was 14). I remember having basic cable back then and channels that weren't even news channels were broadcasting the news.

It's hard to believe it was 15 years ago. I know it sounds cliché, but thinking about it really does feel like yesterday.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2016, 06:47:11 AM »

I was 14 and finished the "Hauptschule" in July and was about to start the AHS (some kind of Austrian high school) on Sept. 12.

Sept. 11 was a regular (but beautiful) day back in 2001 and I was putting together the stuff I needed for the start of school on the next day, my parents went to the local museum and I was watching TV in the afternoon when I saw the news on CNN. Then my parents came home and I told them what happened.

The next day, school started and you have to know that the AHS and Hauptschule are completely different and also in different cities. So, besides getting new friends in school, we were just talking about the terror attacks and we had "Art lessons" on that day, so basically everyone was painting the towers with the planes crashing into them. That`s when I met 3 of my best friends for the next 4 years in high school ...
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2016, 06:50:58 AM »

Today and 9/11/01 are virtually identical weather-wise here (both extremely warm and sunny).

I was already mountainbiking today.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2016, 06:57:19 AM »

I got a call from a colleague telling me to turn on the TV that morning, so I saw both towers come down live. For me, CNN's biggest error in later years was dumping Aaron Brown who was the voice of that day to my generation. I think he could have been their Cronkite if they didn't worry as much about the youth demographic.

Anyway, I had to make a number of executive decisions that morning. I decided to release with pay all employees who wanted to go home at noon. I decided not to declare a state of emergency. And in response to the question from my top administrator, "Do you think this means war?" I unhesitatingly said "Yes."
FairBol
United States

« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2016, 07:43:57 AM »

September 11th Memorial Show is live on Radio Free Connecticut now.  https://control.internet-radio.com:2199/start/fairbol or http://us1.internet-radio.com:8006/listen.pls
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies