Clinton leaves 9/11 memorial early due to 'overheating' - Update: diagnosed with pneumonia
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 10:16:47 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Clinton leaves 9/11 memorial early due to 'overheating' - Update: diagnosed with pneumonia
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 29
Author Topic: Clinton leaves 9/11 memorial early due to 'overheating' - Update: diagnosed with pneumonia  (Read 30667 times)
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #550 on: September 12, 2016, 02:40:57 AM »

John Tyler redux. Senator from Virginia who replaces elderly president. If Hillary Rodham Clinton were to be inaugurated, she would be older than William Henry Harrison.
Buffalo Bill
« Reply #551 on: September 12, 2016, 03:16:30 AM »

Bob Dole collapsed on stage too.  My views on Clinton falling are the same as my views on Dole's incident.
Erich Maria Remarque
LittleBigPlanet
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #552 on: September 12, 2016, 03:31:49 AM »

I'm not sure how so many people apparently don't have Ljube on ignore already.  It's never too late to fix that.

Probably because they enjoy my posts.

President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #553 on: September 12, 2016, 04:04:44 AM »
« Edited: September 12, 2016, 04:07:08 AM by President Johnson »

I hope she recovers soon. Interesting to see to effect on the polls now.

I wonder who Kaine will pick as a running-mate.

Warren.
ursulahx
United Kingdom

« Reply #554 on: September 12, 2016, 04:17:48 AM »

I heard the pneumonia diagnosis this morning (7am UK time), and so have come here in hope of some insight. Silly me.

There's no point in speculating about how this will affect the election until some polling data comes in, and even then that's unlikely to be reliable for another couple of weeks. Then it'll be time for the first debate and that could further change everything. If I weren't a political junkie, I'd take the next couple of weeks off.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #555 on: September 12, 2016, 04:23:11 AM »

I heard the pneumonia diagnosis this morning (7am UK time), and so have come here in hope of some insight. Silly me.

There's no point in speculating about how this will affect the election until some polling data comes in, and even then that's unlikely to be reliable for another couple of weeks. Then it'll be time for the first debate and that could further change everything. If I weren't a political junkie, I'd take the next couple of weeks off.

The diagnosis was already on Friday as I read it. It just went public today. This is bad for public relations.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #556 on: September 12, 2016, 04:36:25 AM »

What is more, she only hid it because she was forced to do so thanks to the way Donald Trump has legitimized conspiracy theorists and the like. She wanted some peace and quiet, not to be vilified and Chicken Littled for catching a bug.

I'd also add that JFK had far worse health issues than Hillary Clinton, so your example only serves to undermine your point.

As for Hillary's August schedule, she fundraised a hell of a lot, so it's clear she was working hard. And this week was pretty good: She re-established her relationship with the press by holding numerous gaggles and press conferences, she got a new plane, managed to drown out the e-mail story, energized her base by directly assailing the bigotry in the race, and just in general managed to drive the news cycle in the way that Donald is usually able to do. Today's events were unfortunate, but they prove she's only human and really does work her ass off in the face of totally baseless attacks.

Are you wanting me to respond to this, or are you taking shots from the safety of claiming to have blocked me?

I would suggest to all those present, it is not worth responding to you in general.
Because that, ladies and gentlemen is how political discourse should go in this country. Put the person that disagrees with you on ignore.

I don't wish to agree with you of all people but this is essentially why I don't use the ignore, despite threatening it in sarcasm a few times.
Joe Biden is your president. Deal with it.
diskymike44

« Reply #557 on: September 12, 2016, 05:16:35 AM »

This will help her, people will see what all the work she done in the past days despite being diagnosed with pneumonia. That is a one tough woman.
‼realJohnEwards‼
MatteKudasai
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.87

« Reply #558 on: September 12, 2016, 06:06:36 AM »

If Trump had pneumonia, would we be having the same discussion as now? I highly doubt it.
If Trump had pneumonia there'd probably be 21 pages of red avatar posts hoping he'd drop dead. Much like many on here were rude when Phyllis Schlafly died.
I actually agree with this... Especially given the content of the Schlafly thread. There is no reason to celebrate or wish for the death of any human, unless that human is someone who has committed something like mass murder (in which case they have shown themselves to have no respect for human life), which, like him or not, Donald Trump hasn't. I happen to think that he would make an atrocious President, and that, by running, he has given a voice to racists and sexists (the "deplorables"), but I would not wish death upon him just as I wouldn't wish it on Bush or Cruz.
Higgs

Political Matrix
E: 6.14, S: -4.17

« Reply #559 on: September 12, 2016, 06:54:10 AM »

This will help her, people will see what all the work she done in the past days despite being diagnosed with pneumonia. That is a one tough woman.

Lol, I admire your optimism, or is that just naivete? I'm not sure.
ursulahx
United Kingdom

« Reply #560 on: September 12, 2016, 07:25:16 AM »

Perhaps this thread merely reflects the sentiments in the wider population. If you're a Democrat, you'll go for the 'Hillary is tough and will recover soon' line. If you're a pro-Trump Republican, you'll go for the 'she's not up to the job, she should pull out of the race' line. If you're an anti-Trump Republican, you'll be terrified of either outcome.

Net effect on polls: neutral. We'll see in a few days.
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #561 on: September 12, 2016, 08:06:01 AM »

Lol, I admire your optimism, or is that just naivete? I'm not sure.

I can't see this affecting the race, and I'm pretty pessimistic anyway. It certainly won't win Trump any Clinton votes. As for undecideds, I don't really see them swinging over to him because of this either, I mean of all the reasons people vote Trump it's certainly not for competency.
PresidentTRUMP
2016election

« Reply #562 on: September 12, 2016, 08:19:32 AM »

Unfortunately watching that video im not sure Clinton would make it through her first term with all the stress that goes along with being president. That was not a pretty sight to say the least, it wasn't even a 100 degree brutally hot day. I hope nothing is seriously wrong health wise with her, nobody wants to see that no matter who you want to win.
komodozer
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.09, S: -7.13

« Reply #563 on: September 12, 2016, 08:27:06 AM »

Has she come into close physical proximity with any Russian nationals recently?
Erich Maria Remarque
LittleBigPlanet
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #564 on: September 12, 2016, 08:30:12 AM »

Has she come into close physical proximity with any Russian nationals recently?

#PutinHackedHillary
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #565 on: September 12, 2016, 08:45:42 AM »

I see the ridiculous arguments continue. How does catching pneumonia attest to anyone's general stamina? How does catching any contagious illness at all disqualify anyone from office because they wouldn't have "sick days"?

Are you saying that a person's state when they are sick is equivalent to their state when they aren't?

Are you saying that someone running for president can't get sick because, as it was stated above, ISIS doesn't take sick days?

How absurd. And the fact that people like Seriously? come to defend this only lowers my opinions of them. I thought the mental gymnastics were limited to substantiating Trump support and interpreting faux hit pieces, but I have been proven wrong.
Donnie

« Reply #566 on: September 12, 2016, 09:02:48 AM »
« Edited: September 12, 2016, 09:12:24 AM by Donnie »

Bob Dole collapsed on stage too.  My views on Clinton falling are the same as my views on Dole's incident.

Bob Dole was likeable. She's not. Beside that i wanna to see Hillary at 93. That's not going to happen. She's already a walking zombie.
komodozer
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.09, S: -7.13

« Reply #567 on: September 12, 2016, 09:06:34 AM »

Apparently several of her Brooklyn campaign office staff came down sick with illness in August.

#FromRussiaWithLove

Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #568 on: September 12, 2016, 09:40:39 AM »

Yes, yes, we all know that Donald Trump and ISIS are in excellent health.  And yet, Donald Trump wants to slash public health spending and ISIS continues to bomb hospitals.

Something doesn't add up.

While Hillary Clinton recovers, let us reflect on the truly despicable, deplorable, detestable acts of terrorism perpetrated by Trump-ISIS on the American people.

Some of you people here seem gleeful that Hillary Clinton is ill, or believe that she is incapable of serving as president because of this episode.  Let's be clear.  If Donald Trump had a stroke on Air Force One, Dr. Harold Bornstein isn't going to be able to do anything.  You said this was about sending a message to the establishment.  Instead, you elected Mike Pence.  Mike Pence will probably try to divert health funding to the construction of 'creation museums.'  More and more people will suffer and die.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #569 on: September 12, 2016, 09:42:51 AM »
« Edited: September 12, 2016, 09:45:30 AM by DavidB. »

Wow, this thread is a total dumpster fire. Some of the blue avatars' exultant remarks are thoroughly sickening. Once again proves Hillary was right when she talked about Trump's basket of deplorables. Too many of Trump's fans simply don't seem to be decent people. I hope Hillary will recover speedily and I highly respect the fact that she honored the victims of 9/11 while suffering from pneumonia.
EpicHistory
Rookie
United States

« Reply #570 on: September 12, 2016, 10:48:38 AM »
« Edited: September 12, 2016, 10:51:31 AM by EpicHistory »

I see the ridiculous arguments continue. How does catching pneumonia attest to anyone's general stamina? How does catching any contagious illness at all disqualify anyone from office because they wouldn't have "sick days"?

Since this post is the forum-version of Sub-tweeting and is clearly directed at me, I believe I shall issue a retort.

First and foremost, your putting words into my mouth by falsely claiming I said catching a bug is disqualifying on its own. I never said that anywhere, and I challenge you to show where I did. With regards to stamina, there have been several events in recent history where Presidents had to go days without sleep or suffer through serious bouts of their own sickness in order to keep leading the nation. If Clinton cannot handle what her campaign claims is just a mild case of walking pnuemonia and some extremely mild physical exertion, how in the world could she face a major crisis that requires her to go days without rest? She's basically had to take most of yesterday and all of today to rest in the aftermath of this episode, ISIS for example will not sit around and play with their thumbs until she's ready in the event of an attack.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Again, false words in my mouth. I'm not from Missouri, but I believe I still can ask you to show me where I stated this.

Again, false words. It is very striking most of your counter-points are logical fallacies of the Strawman variety.

And this would be a fallacy of the Tu quoque variety.
Ⓐnarchy in the ☭☭☭P!
ModernBourbon Democrat

« Reply #571 on: September 12, 2016, 11:13:23 AM »
« Edited: September 12, 2016, 11:19:38 AM by Korwinist »

Presumably she got pneumonia while fleeing those snipers in Bosnia

What is more, she only hid it because she was forced to do so thanks to the way Donald Trump has legitimized conspiracy theorists and the like. She wanted some peace and quiet, not to be vilified and Chicken Littled for catching a bug.

Hey genius, if the conspiracy theory turns out to be true, it isn't a "conspiracy theory" anymore, it's a conspiracy fact

Apparently Donald Trump's crime was legitimizing people who were right all along. I suppose Hillary shouldn't take the blame for those smearing "conspiracy theorists" claiming that Iraq didn't have WMDs?
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #572 on: September 12, 2016, 11:17:20 AM »
« Edited: September 12, 2016, 11:23:42 AM by Arch »

Are you being intentionally obtuse here? Pneumonia is an illness, and Clinton's weakness today was a direct consequence of that illness. Drawing conclusions about general "stamina," and suggesting that in her pneumonia-weakened state she should have been able to handle stresses equally as well as a person without an illness can handle, is an example of either willful ignorance, or intentional obfuscation.

I'm sorry, I didn't know that ISIS would give a President Clinton sick days when she isn't feeling up to the task of managing the nation.

Occupying the Oval Office actually does require you to push through being "overheated" because otherwise we could all die. And for the record, she supposedly only has a mild case of walking pneumonia that should not have handicapped her this bad.

↑ All of the information is right there. Even if your intent wasn't to say that she's not qualified because of her taking some days off of the campaign trail due to pneumonia, you're still saying that she hasn't "pushed through" like other presidents have. That is categorically false as a premise and invalidates the rest of your argument. Because, in fact, she went on for 2 DAYS with pneumonia through national security briefings, fund raising, constant flights, speeches, and 90 minutes in the sun at the 9/11 memorial before she FINALLY needed to rest.

You either: A) ignore that fact ↑ and continue with your argument as quoted above or you B) accept that fact and continue with the line or argumentation that I presumed you were going for. Either way, it's a flawed argument.

If anything, assuming that you went for route (A) because my presumption of route (B) was apparently a strawman, she just proved her stamina for the presidency.

The last piece with the supposéd Tu quoque fallacy wasn't even directed at you. The post was a general address to everyone involved in the discussion, including the guy from Missouri (?), but you assumed it was all about you.

Also, I would like to add this:

dspNY
United States

« Reply #573 on: September 12, 2016, 11:23:30 AM »

At least a half-dozen staff in Clinton's Brooklyn HQ were suffering similar symptoms and two were forced to go to the hospital within the past two weeks:

http://theweek.com/speedreads/648220/entire-clinton-campaign-apparently-battling-pneumonia
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #574 on: September 12, 2016, 11:29:07 AM »

sh**t happens, everybody gets sick some time. Even young people. That shouldn't be taken too seriously. She wouldn't run, if she were so sick as some right-wing propagandists claim. Calm down.

And if anything were to happen once she's in office, the 25th amendment would be invoked and Kaine takes care as long as she's unable to perform her duties. No reason to worry.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 29  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies