Has this forum ever been more of an echo chamber?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 05:37:51 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Has this forum ever been more of an echo chamber?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Has this forum ever been more of an echo chamber?  (Read 828 times)
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 11, 2016, 09:36:51 AM »

I'm not complaining but I don't recall it ever being this one-sided during an election cycle. There's a reason Seriously? stands out more than the obnoxious Romney supporters of 2012 did.
LLR
LongLiveRock
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2016, 09:56:16 AM »

That's what happens when the Republicans nominate a pathetic clown who is completely unqualified to be president. I mean, I'm in no way surprised many of our lovely blue avatars have decided to support glorious Hillary Clinton or even insane stupid MODERATE HERO Gary Johnson. Good on them for not supporting Trump. If Republican voters had made an effort to have half a brain, perhaps - PERHAPS - this would be much less of an echo chamber but our token Trump supporters are just insane nuts like Santander, Seriously, and ExtremeRepublican and that should tell you a little bit about why this is an echochamber. Not to mention that jfern was kind enough to leave us so we have less idiot liberal hacks around. I'm happy about this all, except for the fact that the orange circus clown could become the next president of our country, which scares the sh**t out of me.
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2016, 11:23:30 AM »

That's what happens when the Republicans nominate a pathetic clown who is completely unqualified to be president. I mean, I'm in no way surprised many of our lovely blue avatars have decided to support glorious Hillary Clinton or even insane stupid MODERATE HERO Gary Johnson. Good on them for not supporting Trump. If Republican voters had made an effort to have half a brain, perhaps - PERHAPS - this would be much less of an echo chamber but our token Trump supporters are just insane nuts like Santander, Seriously, and ExtremeRepublican and that should tell you a little bit about why this is an echochamber. Not to mention that jfern was kind enough to leave us so we have less idiot liberal hacks around. I'm happy about this all, except for the fact that the orange circus clown could become the next president of our country, which scares the sh**t out of me.

I'd suggest that Trump's clownishness is merely the icing on the cake. For the demographic make-up of this forum Trump ticks most of the wrong boxes - anti-immigration, anti-free trade, pro-war on drugs etc. If he were a better person (and more 'qualified') then I doubt he'd have that much more support.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2016, 11:55:17 AM »

It's interesting that this probably one of the most pro-Clinton forums out there. It wasn't really that different during the primaries.

Well, there was also a whole lot of ironic Trump support at that point, which I'll admit, was well-executed by Lief and others.

A couple things:
1. Trump isn't a very good candidate.  This is obvious.
2. Trump's strongest demographics - seniors, those without a college degree (and are not pursuing one), Evangelicals, veterans - are significantly underrepresented here.  Add this to a very strong social liberal ethos (shared among many on both the left and right here), and it's no surprise why Trump is seen as anathema around here.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2016, 11:58:39 AM »

It's interesting that this probably one of the most pro-Clinton forums out there. It wasn't really that different during the primaries.

AH.com makes this site look far right.
Clark Kent
ClarkKent
United States

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2016, 12:24:22 PM »

Yes, but that's because AH.com is far-left compared to Atlas's center-left.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2016, 12:43:07 PM »

What Rfayette said. I'll add that it seems like the posters who only show up for major election campaigns seem to lean quite heavily Democratic, while the more hardcore types who post all the time are more diverse.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2016, 01:46:33 PM »

This forum has seemed to have more liberals than conservatives since I've been around, but Trump is an... uh... "unconventional" candidate, which made it likely to several Republicans/conservatives would either defect to Hillary or vote third party.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2016, 03:14:41 PM »

I would hazard the demographics of this place are not dissimilar to, say, 4chan's /pol/ so I don't think demographics can account for everything,
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2016, 04:56:34 PM »

I would hazard the demographics of this place are not dissimilar to, say, 4chan's /pol/ so I don't think demographics can account for everything,

this forum has more libtard cucks on it though
‼realJohnEwards‼
MatteKudasai
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.87

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2016, 07:36:35 PM »

The difference is, 4chan promotes an environment where showing respect for other posters is almost a sin. Young, conservative ideologues tend to enjoy that.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2016, 07:38:44 PM »

The 2016 board has proved to be more vomit-inducing than the 2012 one - a feat I had thought impossible.  So we've got that going for us.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2016, 07:46:33 PM »

The odd thing is that when I joined in 2004 this forum was either center or center-right in its politics depending on where one thought the center ought to be,  Now it definitely is center-left when its membership is taken as a whole, and I don't think that will change any time soon.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2016, 08:17:33 PM »

Perhaps in terms of gender and age, but this place is much higher educated than 4chan. Also much more LGBT, which influences people's politics, especially in an American context where LGBT issues are still highly contentious.
‼realJohnEwards‼
MatteKudasai
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.87

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2016, 10:01:51 PM »

TBH, it's kind of the Republican party's fault. They nominated someone who effectively scared off the entire moderate/center-right wing of their party, and given that these people make up a good share of Atlas Republicans, it's only natural that the balance would shift away from Trump...
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2016, 04:30:33 AM »

The difference is, 4chan promotes an environment where showing respect for other posters is almost a sin. Young, conservative ideologues tend to enjoy that.
Yeah, just young conservatives.  Roll Eyes
White Trash
Southern Gothic
YaBB God

« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2016, 06:43:24 AM »

Yes, but that's because AH.com is far-left compared to Atlas's center-left.

Where is AAD and Democratic Underground on this scale? This forum is getting strikingly similar to DU in a handful of ways and attitudes.
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2016, 01:00:47 PM »

I don't get the impression that it is all that pro-Clinton. The likes of IceSpear, lief etc yes, but for the most part it feels pro-notTrump. It's not hard to imagine Kasich getting at least 40% support on here had he somehow won the nomination.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2016, 01:21:44 PM »

Perhaps in terms of gender and age, but this place is much higher educated than 4chan. Also much more LGBT, which influences people's politics, especially in an American context where LGBT issues are still highly contentious.

Is 4chan really that different in educational demographics than Atlas?  Most of the posters there seem to be college students or graduates (many are high schoolers, but plan to go to college).  Doesn't seem that different from Atlas than me, but definitely younger and less LGBT.  The bigger difference is that 4chan has a built-in preference for edginess, taken to an extreme.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies