Who do you agree with more about Iraq?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 01:55:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Who do you agree with more about Iraq?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Who do you agree with more about Iraq?
Congressman Walter Jones

me

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 35

Author Topic: Who do you agree with more about Iraq?  (Read 1490 times)
nini2287
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 2.77, S: -3.39

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 28, 2005, 12:35:13 AM »

Jones was the Congressman who originally coined the term 'freedom fries' and at first was a staunch advocate of war in Iraq.  However since then he has had a change of heart and advocates for the Bush administration to set a timetable for the removal of troops.

I have always opposed the War in Iraq on grounds that the weapons inspectors found no WMDs and that there was a lack of international cooperation.  However, I feel that now that we are in Iraq our troops must stay as long as necessary to secure the country as well as possibly to prevent Civil War or the return of Saddamites.

So who do you agree with more?
DanielX
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -4.70

« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2005, 01:37:35 AM »

Oddly enough, you. I'm sort-of convinced Bush got the wrong Ira on this one (ie - we should've gone after Iran first).  But since we're in Iraq, we'd better fix it up or else everyone and his brother will be convinced the US is a paper tiger.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2005, 01:45:16 AM »

Oddly enough, you. I'm sort-of convinced Bush got the wrong Ira on this one (ie - we should've gone after Iran first).  But since we're in Iraq, we'd better fix it up or else everyone and his brother will be convinced the US is a paper tiger.

We don't attack countries that really have WMD.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2005, 02:00:31 AM »

Think of the broader strategy and it all falls into place. Keep repeating. Iraq is just a stepping stone.....look at the map. What two countries with US troops currently in them border a MAJOR enemy of the US?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2005, 02:21:45 AM »

You
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2005, 02:38:45 AM »

"You pressed you referring to me.  The correct answer is you."

-Smokey the Bear interactive statue

I more agree with you as your view seems the more serious one that actually considers consequences instead of exploiting things for expediency.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2005, 02:59:39 AM »

Think of the broader strategy and it all falls into place. Keep repeating. Iraq is just a stepping stone.....look at the map. What two countries with US troops currently in them border a MAJOR enemy of the US?

Afghanistan and Kyrgyzstan both border China, but I don't think that invading China will convince them to revalue the yuan.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2005, 03:11:53 AM »

Georgia and Alabama. Cheesy
Angel of Death
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2005, 05:05:58 AM »

I have always opposed the War in Iraq on grounds that the weapons inspectors found no WMDs and that there was a lack of international cooperation.  However, I feel that now that we are in Iraq our troops must stay as long as necessary to secure the country as well as possibly to prevent Civil War or the return of Saddamites.

Are you saying that you have absolutely no defeat conditions? Or are you just deliberately keeping them secret?
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2005, 08:06:09 AM »

I agree with "MODU" more:  We were right to go there, and we should stay till Iraq can take care of her own.  Smiley  And fortunately, it looks like they are getting closer to that end with each day they successfully carry out a mission without US support.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2005, 10:56:47 AM »

Jones was the Congressman who originally coined the term 'freedom fries' and at first was a staunch advocate of war in Iraq.  However since then he has had a change of heart and advocates for the Bush administration to set a timetable for the removal of troops.

You - but I must admit I was always in favour of the war in Iraq

Dave
David S
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2005, 10:58:00 AM »

Same argument was used in Vietnam. 60,000 American lives later we decided to get out. The American people got tired of seeing their kids come home in body bags.

How can you conclude the US is a paper tiger? Let's look at the facts;
We destroyed the Iraqi military in a matter of weeks.
We destroyed many buildings and much of their infrastructure.
We killed thousands of Iraqis
We overthrew their government and put their leader in jail. Our soldiers were lounging around Saddams pool while he sat in jail.

I would simply remove our troops from Iraq and leave one message; "next time its no more mister nice guy."
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2005, 11:09:57 AM »

I call it the Carol Moseley Braun position, as she was the only candidate in that lousy lot of seven that were presented to the hapless democrats last time 'round that I agreed with.  I, too, was very much against spending several hundred billion dollars in this way (not at all a conservative thing to do, regardless of what terms Howard "temper tantrum" Dean uses to label it.)  But, like Ms. Braun said in the debates, "We American's don't cut and run.  We broke it, so we fix it."  Not that I often agree with the bitch, but on this particular issue, she's dead right.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2005, 12:44:18 PM »

walter jones is quite insane.  i find it odd that the democrats love him so much now.  the man is really a jesus freak and totally unfit for office.

i said that back when he was a democrat in the state legislature, and i say that now.
TX_1824
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.06, S: 2.17

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2005, 01:45:18 PM »
« Edited: June 28, 2005, 02:08:12 PM by TX_1824 »

I was originally against the war. We should have focused more on Afghanistan. This is one of the major disagreements I have with the administration. Now that we are there we have to finish the job. Leaving now would be a victory for radical Islam and that is just not acceptable. A timetable is a bad idea as well.
Cashcow

« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2005, 01:48:21 PM »

I was originally against the war. We should have focused more on Afghanistan. This is one of the major disagreements I have with the administration. Now that we are there we have to finish the job. Leaving now would a victory for radical Islam and that is just not acceptable. A timetable is a bad idea as well.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2005, 01:56:32 PM »

Definitely you.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2005, 02:00:24 PM »

walter jones is quite insane.  i find it odd that the democrats love him so much now.  the man is really a jesus freak and totally unfit for office.

i said that back when he was a democrat in the state legislature, and i say that now.

Oddly enough, considering Walter Mitty's record as a terrible judge of character, I'll have to agree with him here.  Jones really is an awful politician.  He was a jackass when he supported the war ("freedom fries"; I mean come on!), and he's a jackass now he's against it.

Anyway...

I was originally against the war. We should have focused more on Afghanistan. This is one of the major disagreements I have with the administration. Now that we are there we have to finish the job. Leaving now would a victory for radical Islam and that is just not acceptable. A timetable is a bad idea as well.

.... this is almost exactly my position too.  Which means I voted Option 2.
nini2287
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 2.77, S: -3.39

« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2005, 12:39:48 AM »

Are you saying that you have absolutely no defeat conditions? Or are you just deliberately keeping them secret?

Provided that the insurgents don't gain an atomic weapon and threaten nuke Israel or if they have the capabilities the U.S., I really don't think we should concede defeat at all.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2005, 01:14:51 AM »

I agree more with yours, but 100% agree with Feingold's stance.  We shouldn't have gone into Iraq, & that  while we shouldn't set a time table we should set some sort of outline off what specifically needs to be done, what needs to be accomplished in Iraq in order for our troops to come home instead off a blanket statement like the administration makes.  Be more specific rather than geralizations

"There are not just two alternatives -- stay there forever and cut and run," he said. "There's a rational alternative -- that's where we need presidential leadership -- how long will this last, what makes sense, what needs to be done in what order and when can the troops come home? That's how we can tell the world we're not trying to occupy Iraq.

"The president has it completely turned around."

http://www.cnn.com/2005/POLITICS/06/29/bush.speech/index.html
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies